Please help me pick my favorite speaker! (and sorry Lasse, but you're wrong :D)

:D We had to throw them in somewhere, they were too good to leave out ("THE CATALWHOOOOOOOAAA FUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKK!!!!" :lol: ) Thanks for listening man, the production certainly makes me a sad panda but I'm still damn proud of the tunes! :)

:D We had to throw them in somewhere, they were too good to leave out ("THE CATALWHOOOOOOOAAA FUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKK!!!!" :lol: ) Thanks for listening man, the production certainly makes me a sad panda but I'm still damn proud of the tunes! :)

haha :)

Well about the production it's not that bad actually...
If i had to post my ex-band "ghetto demo" people would have an heart attack listening to it (think about untight playing, ghetto drums, 100% scooped/overgained SS practice amp guitars, and much more...)

Haha, yeah, we at least had a decent amount of stuff to work with as far as mics went, just a pity we couldn't use them better! And of course, I was a tyrant for good takes, so at least the performances were sound :D

But anyway, this is why I tend to prefer the tone at the start of say... 'Before the Aeons Came'. Comparing the two back to back I have to say that 'Aeons' is better by just about every benchmark I have for tone, both as guitarist and engineer.

Finally listened dude, and you're right, that is beastly the way there are just ZERO fizz peaks or anything (I guess I don't mind the guitar tone on that album, it's the kick I loathe, just too fucking clicky, or rather "ticky" I think is a more appropriate onomatopoeia) - how do you think they achieved that tone? Just clever surgical EQ cuts? Cuz it definitely sounds close to the dustcap, or at least not overly far away, and I'm guessing Recto/5150 blend for the guitars, neither of which are known for their lack of fizz

I've been working for awhile on tweaking the amp and am pretty happy with what I've got:

Treble: 11:30
Mid: 9:30
Bass: 10:30
Presence: 12:00

IMHO your tone is good.. but I dont know why it has that harsh sound.. it could be the too much treble or little bass.

Try: Treble: 1:30 / 2:00
Mid: 9:30 / 9:00
Bass: 1:30 / 2:00
Presence: 12:00 ? IDK

Lower the Master volume. ?

Do you have the Dual Rec Manual?

Haha, yeah dude, I've read the manual in great detail, and trust me, raising the treble any more sounds like a cat hissing when he's cornered, and the bass any higher is flub/boxy city. No, I'm quite confident this is the best the amp can sound as far as the settings (and this channel on the amp) goes, but when I get it in a full mix perhaps I'll experiment with selective post-eq; that said, I've re-amped for some people and heard the tones in full mixes, and they sound pretty durn good to me, so I'm willing to have faith! :D

i have to say these tones arent doing much for me
too fizzy :/

Just reading over this thread again, and smiling knowingly - that fizz/harshness you guys are talking about is none other than the 6k fizz I always bitch about, and while at the time of this thread I was still in denial about how much it bothered me, this is still one epic foreshadowing! And I still stand by the sound of these clips, and can't imagine them sounding any better with this setup!

Old news man, I recognized the wooliness/stuffiness of the Stiletto cab back in fucking February/March, and have never once looked back since ditching that thing for my Recto cab! :cool:

Oh, and for the record, I still unquestionably like V30 1 in the bottom slot the most out of any of these :D

Old news man, I recognized the wooliness/stuffiness of the Stiletto cab back in fucking February/March, and have never once looked back since ditching that thing for my Recto cab! :cool:

Oh, and for the record, I still unquestionably like V30 1 in the bottom slot the most out of any of these :D

Yeah I was just quoting you from a thread about that cab :p

Haha, yeah, I don't remember saying that but I really wouldn't be surprised :lol:

And to be clear, I don't think fizz is necessary to cut through a mix anymore, but I do feel a degree of it is inevitable if you want enough gain to give palm mutes some sustain! (but the 6k 2 ch. Dual fizz is beyond that norm IMO)

For sure, can you recommend any band/song of which has hardly no fizz in the guitars?

Im interested to hear if they actually exist because ive been keeping an ear out and on pretty much everything I listen to there is a degree of fizz, most of which isnt too audible in a full mix but its clearly there when just the guitars are playing.

Well Ermz' recommendation of Behemoth's "Before Aeons Came" is a damn good one IMO - and of course Nightrage's "Sweet Vengeance" and the immortal "Clayman", though I'm not a fan of either of those tones (just sound very...weird and unnatural to me, whereas the Behemoth tone still sounds like the usual metal guitar tone that I dig so much :)) Also, Lasse's Krankenstein tests from semi-recently were damn good and pretty devoid of fizz (and according to him he always puts the 57 almost entirely on the dustcap)

The guitars on TGE by Nevermore have a lot of fizz to them when soloed, but they still sound amazing.

Hmm, gotta disagree, too much 6k fizz there for me; Arch Enemy's "Doomsday Machine" to me is a better example of it being tolerable in a mix, but TGE, meh, I've gotten kinda tired of/fatigued by it...

No problem dude, it's a good one! (though the character of the tone isn't my favorite, it still is full, meaty, plenty of gain, and actually sounds like an amp and cab captured semi-faithfully to me :headbang: )

Oh, and just to mention this here as well, anyone who's heard even half of the bajillions of re-amps done with my Holy Diver DI's knows that the guitar/pickup is not the problem either! ;)