3 Recto tones, please pick your favorite! (AND: LPF = JESUS)

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Well guys, I have had yet another breakthrough, simply in the form of me finally getting around to trying something I never bothered to try before - the HP/LP treatment on mic'ed guitar tracks. And WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW what a difference rolling off even as high as 12k makes, good god - I can be so much more aggressive with the presence knob and dustcap without dealing with the godawful fizz, I am in ecstacy!

So I think it's safe to say this is my best tone ever :D Please listen to these 3 clips (I'm not gonna tell ya what the differences are yet, but believe me, there are differences :D) and pick which you like best! And the riff is mine from my band, btw

A eq.mp3
B eq.mp3
C eq.mp3

EDIT: Updated with a narrow 2.3 dB cut at ~4k to compensate for my overeagerness with the amp presence knob :D

Yes, I must agree with you this is the best tone I've heard from you. And it's the first time I like it enough to actually comment on it. Even though my favorite tone of all time is from a recto (DHIADW) most of the time I'm not really impressed with recto clips I hear from most guys. This and the clip "The Shred" recently posted are really good.

I don't know if it's just me but the tone sounds much tighter that your previous samples.

However it's a little confusing trying to judge this tone with this particular riff...I'd prefer left and right guitar playing the same thing and some more chugging ;).

Oh....and I personally prefer "B".

Yes, I must agree with you this is the best tone I've heard from you. And it's the first time I like it enough to actually comment on it.

Umm, not sure how to feel about that one dude - I don't post this stuff just looking for praise, I want honest opinions, good or bad! ;) But thanks for the feedback all the same, and same for the other guys!

I'm liking C the most.
And yeah man, srsly. High pass and Low Pass filters are where its at!
Can crank the highs and lows way more and get epic tone, just without the rumble or fizz that it'd usually bring along with it.
Try low passing at 10khz and then adding a shelving boost from 10khz and up afterwards. Adds in some shimmer without adding in fizz :D

Umm, not sure how to feel about that one dude - I don't post this stuff just looking for praise, I want honest opinions, good or bad! ;) But thanks for the feedback all the same, and same for the other guys!

Yes, I'm sorry about that, it's just that when it comes to tweaking real amps, miking cabs etc. I have absolutely no personal experience so I didn't really had anything useful to contribute. I didn't want to post just to say that I don't like it. Besides, you always seemed happy with the tones you got so I just assumed we had different taste.

Hey, even if we have different tastes and I seem happy, I still want opinions! :) I've been "happy" with tons of tones in the past that I gag at when I hear now, so don't think I'll be crestfallen if you tell me it sucks, believe me I can take it as well as I can dish it! :D (and this is addressed at anybody else who might be holding back, how much of a pussy do you think I am?)

C is my favourite, much more "meat" to it than the others. I'd say they all sound a little brittle to me though. i prefered the 18V clips from your 18 v 9 shootout

EDIT: some multiband compression on the low end of c would produce an amazing tone, it gets a bit boomey occasionally

I can't choose between B and C...but I like both better than A. Maybe my ears are just tired from tracking today...but they all sound thin to me:S

These are some of your nicest Recto tones so far. I like the less mids in A compared to B and prefer both of those over C. Is C an Impulse? :err: I am only asking since it sounds a little flatter. Then again, I have just woken up 10 minutes ago, so don't take my opinion as anything. :lol: I didn't load them in the DAW and A/B/C them (which would have been a better way to compare them, clicking between them quickly), just Media player'd them.

EDIT: They are probably too close to each other to really matter. Never mind my Impulse question, maybe C just has less Pres.

I'm listening on crappy computer speakers at work, so it's quite hard to distinguish between the three clips, but there's definitely something weird going on in the upper-mids...a bit nasally. Also, all three sound grainy, for lack of a better term.

I think I like B or C the most. I can't decide between the two because I am only listening through my headphones.

I have to say though man this is a FANTASTIC tone. I'd love to hear it in a fully death metal context...I think it'd be awesome with some furious riffing.

It sounds nice and umm...glassy? but still has tonnes of thickness.

Thanks a lot guys! I agree it's a touch nasally, I think I overdid it with the presence knob in my joy of discovering how fucking awesome LP'ing at 12k is :D A few more responses and I'll reveal what's what! (but I'm surprised there's no love for A, I like it personally!)