The power of a Tube Screamer on a 2 ch. Dual Rec (And, new interface = better tonez!)

Sure, though if you're gonna suggest that somehow my settings in the ampsim make me play in such a way that encourages fizz, first off, my digital settings change constantly (cuz I suck at tweaking ampsims :erk: ), and second, the fizz is there just as much when I re-amp other people's stuff, and in other recordings of the same amp, and, well, you know :D However:

Ampsimsettings.jpg

Thanks!
it's nothing to do with the fizz, after all once an open string is ringing out, it really makes little difference how you picked it in the first place..

But you are right about assuming i think people play differently depending on what they hear

Ok, I shall be an ass, and not read the whole thread, so if this has already been mentioned, then I'm sorry :p. But I can't STAND those squelches on the galloping, sounds like your pickups are too close to your strings, and when you really dig in for those gallops it gets all squelchy and nasty, I like the tone in the riff where it's guitar only, because there is no galloping and no squelching.

Yes, it's been mentioned, and the problem is definitely my picking technique :D Like I said, anything based around fast downpicking is my ultimate achilles heel!

Well galloping to me has nothing to do with fast down picking, unless I'm doing something wrong, because galloping is alternate picking.....DUD DUD DUD DUD and so on.

Well galloping to me has nothing to do with fast down picking, unless I'm doing something wrong, because galloping is alternate picking.....DUD DUD DUD DUD and so on.

Yes, but you still need to have that consistent downpicked attack, and it's the rapidity of the gallops in terms of how close they are to one another that makes it more like downpicking; just think of the two extra gallop notes not being there and me just downpicking each note to give a better idea, cuz I'd still be straining that way! Too much time idolizing Petrucci during my formative years I guess :D (not to say he necessarily can't downpick fast, but just that he seems to alternate pick everything)

EDIT: And not only downpicking, but just any fast sustained rhythm picking in general; remember the other night when I was trying to play the sustained palm-muted 16ths in "Enemy Within"? :D

...you still need to have that consistent downpicked attack, and it's the rapidity of the gallops in terms of how close they are to one another that makes it more like downpicking; just think of the two extra gallop notes not being there and me just downpicking each note...

Okay...I'm lost. No body told me this thread would contain math word problems! If John picks with two down picks while Steve is picking three times with alternate picking while facing east as a train is coming from Chicago to Newark at 120 mph...how br00talZ will be the outcome?? :loco: :lol:

Okay...I'm lost. No body told me this thread would contain math word problems! If John picks with two down picks while Steve is picking three times with alternate picking while facing east as a train is coming from Chicago to Newark at 120 mph...how br00talZ will be the outcome?? :loco: :lol:

Well, I'd have to say that if you take two picks, divide them by the distance between George's eyebrows, and then take that away from the tension of a .100 string tuned to Drop M, then you'd come to the conclusion that I still don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about. :cool:

Hahahahaha, jesus dude, that sound of the pedal is really disconcerting, cuz it seems to come from the edges of the stereo field whereas the guitar is mono - definitely startled me at first! But yeah, makes a big difference indeed! (though I'd like more gain in the tone :D)

And John, I record my DI's using ampsims (TSS --> 8505 --> Boogex, to be exact)

Best I could do at whisper volumes :lol:

I've noticed the same issue when I use pick at certain degree. The issue disappears after rotating it as vertical to guitar as possible

-------------------\/--------------------- string

instead of

--------------------//------------------ string

Can't explain in other way))

I've noticed the same issue when I use pick at certain degree. The issue disappears after rotating it as vertical to guitar as possible

Well I don't know what "as vertical to the guitar as possible means", but for me after this test I really realized that I just have to pick as flatly on the string, rather than coming on an angle and thus creating the scratchy "squelch"

Link to the DIs is dead, re-linky please? Thanks.

Ah yeah, I canned it cuz I was so very ashamed of my disgraceful palm mutes :D But here's some other ones that I think are good! :)

Holy Diver Riff Cover - This one's brand new, with brand new strings and an EMG81 @ 18v, my favorite combination
DI's
More DI's

Well I don't know what "as vertical to the guitar as possible means", but for me after this test I really realized that I just have to pick as flatly on the string, rather than coming on an angle and thus creating the scratchy "squelch"

Ah yeah, I canned it cuz I was so very ashamed of my disgraceful palm mutes :D But here's some other ones that I think are good! :)

Holy Diver Riff Cover - This one's brand new, with brand new strings and an EMG81 @ 18v, my favorite combination
DI's
More DI's

Thanks man :kickass: