tubescreamer lowers guitar signal?

s34nsm411

May 3, 2004
for years it was my understanding that a tubescreamer boosts the signal of the guitar going into the amp so that the amp is forced to saturate more. but im now playing around with the wagner sharp preamp which requires that you record a di guitar signal, and im noticing the signal is significantly quieter with the tubescreamer on, is this right?

yeah, right now i have it at the standard 12 oclock position though. i figure with level at half its max setting, a "boost" pedal should atleast be on par with the unaffected signal

I don't know where you heard that 12:00 was standard, but...

It isn't. The TS as a conceptual circuit is beautiful and amazing, but in modern practice with 10-20% tolerance components it's a bloody mess. You can't expect anything to be standard. The way all of the mass-produced pedals are, Andy's 9-11-12 settings can mean about as much as 'a titch of gain, a helping of tone, and a handful of volume' in practice. My current TS has unity around noon, but before I modded it to 808 specs it was lower, and when I'm using a different diode pair and a different tone stack it's 9... these circuits just don't like consistency. There's also the fact that the TS isn't a 'boost' like an LPB-1 but a 'juicer' like steroids for your signal. Finally, the way the potentiometers are made, some pedals will have an even and clean ascent up the numbers, and we call these pedals fucking magical. Normally there will be a very bizarre path from no signal to full blast, and you can have plateaus followed by sheer cliffs all the way across the range of the potentiometer. Don't worry, this is normal.

(For more TS info, use the search button or PM me. Thanks for posting, though, as I'm currently using a TS FAQ as my excuse for not studying for tomorrow's physics exam and this isn't an unusual question.)

And for future reference, if you have a problem with volume being too low and you have a volume control that can be turned up, the knob won't bite. I promise. And if it does... well, bloody hell, bite back - if you have a surrealist stompbox that attacks things at random and refuses to obey shaky logic, you're going to have to discipline it.

Jeff

(For more TS info, use the search button or PM me. Thanks for posting, though, as I'm currently using a TS FAQ as my excuse for not studying for tomorrow's physics exam and this isn't an unusual question.)

Jeff

Maybe this could be your time to right a small book like a few people on here have suggested, you know everything about the workings and insides of these pedals, I think it would be a great guide and also help anyone with any modding questions.:headbang:

I'm working on it, I'm working on it... that whole 'write two pages at a time, for one aspect of the topic at hand, and then try to slim it down to something reasonable' thing takes time. Unless a hundred pages of me rambling about a clipping circuit capacitor being the best development since thumbs sounds like a good idea...

Jeff

I'm working on it, I'm working on it... that whole 'write two pages at a time, for one aspect of the topic at hand, and then try to slim it down to something reasonable' thing takes time. Unless a hundred pages of me rambling about a clipping circuit capacitor being the best development since thumbs sounds like a good idea...

Jeff

just dont do a slipperman...

No, this could be worse than that if I didn't put some serious work into it. Last essay I wrote in high school English was seven pages long... and four sentences. I didn't even like the topic.

Jeff

if you have a surrealist stompbox that attacks things at random and refuses to obey shaky logic, you're going to have to discipline it.

i allmost died laughing, good shit, i discipline my gear all the time