Tubescreamer/Pod XTL content

Carcass29

3oIF
Sep 21, 2005
New York
I know alot of you guys use a tubescreamer in front of your amps for recording but has anyone tried a "real" tubescreamer in front of their XTL for recording? just curious....

A lot of people here do that already....I have a Keeley modded TS-9, but before it was modded I did use it a few times in front of my XTL. The original TS-9 model vs. the real thing...no comparison, the real thing is better and has a different effect in general, however the model on the XTL still does the trick in a way. Not as good, but it'll do I suppose. If you have a real TS-9/808/Maxon clone then use that in front of your XTL, you'll get much better results.

~e.a

I've also wondered a bit about this since I use a real TS9 infront of Amplitube 2 or Revalver II and it makes a huge difference.. I've also wondered if Bulb uses a real TS9 in front of his POD XT.. sure sounds like it.

the way i see it, the more analog shit you can throw into the signal chain before hitting digital processing, the better off you'll be

that doesn't mean you wanna run your shit through 20 crap pedals and muck up the source signal, but squeeze as much as your tone as possible from analog shit

i don't have a POD, and do my emulation shit w/ amplitube, and have found that the best DI tone i can get is from using my ART MPA gold, and pushing the tube input just hard enough to get some saturation, sometimes even a teeny bit of audible distortion.