Tue Madsen

I like him a lot. He did Kataklysm's last CD which was impressive because he kept their sound, but got rid of all the annoying aspects. I'm not sure how he did it, but it's really cool. Still awesomely fake sounding drums without being distracting, same mediocere singer, but he sounds good, etc. Plenty of vibe on that too. Anyway even though I only know that one and the Haunted, in general it seems like he does good stuff. Seems versitle.

I really dig his productions, specially on "The Dead Eye" (which I believe will be a reference album for many productions to come). It may be "unrefined", but I believe thats a positive element - I heard The Haunted live a few weeks ago, and their live sound were soo close to the production sound that it were almost scary... I've heard several other bands with really great productions, but when it comes to their live sound it just doesn't match - one reason could be that too much magic took place in the production phase. It is my impression (at least regarding The Haunted) that Tue tried to stay true to the actual sound of the band, their gear and settings.

...and don't forget that according to the DVD that comes with the CD of 'the Dead eye' the drums are completely UN-triggered!!!

Amazing work, in my opinion.:headbang::headbang::headbang:

You can totally tell that they weren't triggered or sound replaced - even the kick has a ton of variance to it. Just listen to the difference in the amount of click between his cymbal choke's and his normal playing.

"I really dislike his productions."

"Obviously the guy knows how to make a good sounding record."

:confused:

Keith? o_O

I really dig his productions, specially on "The Dead Eye" (which I believe will be a reference album for many productions to come). It may be "unrefined", but I believe thats a positive element - I heard The Haunted live a few weeks ago, and their live sound were soo close to the production sound that it were almost scary... I've heard several other bands with really great productions, but when it comes to their live sound it just doesn't match - one reason could be that too much magic took place in the production phase. It is my impression (at least regarding The Haunted) that Tue tried to stay true to the actual sound of the band, their gear and settings.

You can totally tell that they weren't triggered or sound replaced - even the kick has a ton of variance to it. Just listen to the difference in the amount of click between his cymbal choke's and his normal playing.

Keith? o_O

The live aspect of a band it's the defining factor.
Tracking and recording bands as The Haunted it's just a matter of being patient and get things done smoothly for the musicians. They WILL do a great job.

Despite what someone may say, Disturbed are a similar band.
I seen them in Milan, Italy in a smaaaaaall club when 'the sickness' was just released. Tight and thick, great singer. Regardless the message or the philosophy of the band.

As for the drums, some people will STRUGGLE to get a DFHS track with a natural kick like this, but the secret to it is... ...recording a real kick.
Played good, of course.

Tue is the f-n man. I dig the shit out of the guitar tones he gets. Himsa's 'Hail Horror' is probably one, if not, my favorite metal productions right now. Great songs too.

Keith? o_O

lol i can see why that would be confusing. What i meant was, just because i don't like the production doesn't mean it sounds like shit, it's just i don't like the sound of it... Still confusing.

His records don't sound terrible, i just preferred the work with nordstrom. In fact the reason why i dislike his production is because i think it sounds like a step down from their previous records. His work doesn't necessarily sound like utter shit, i just don't like it in comparison.

Here's an example: The black dahlia murder's unhallowed Vs. Miasma. Miasma is big and clear(for lack of a better word) and modern sounding, but i prefer the small grittyness of unhallowed. I recognize that miasma sounds good, but i prefer the production of unhallowed.

another example: As i lay dying's frail words vs. shadows. Shadow's sounds really good, clean and all that, but i like the production of frail words alittle more because it has a certain character to it. By almost all accounts, sneap's mix is better (i would say so) but i still prefer the production on frail words.

i hope that made sense. In the end, who gives a shit if nobody understands - because i do, it's just my opinion.

I know I'm reviving an OLD fucking thread...

But since this post, Dark Tranquillity have released 2 albums done by Tue Madsen...

I know a lot of guys on hear quite like the Fiction mix, and I personally love it... but I have to say. I really don't like the We are the void mix..

It just sounds so processed and I don't know, the drums irk me no end as do the guitars. They seem so high midsy, no real warmth or balls at all.

Discuss :)

Yeah I agree... I like WATV no doubt, but I still think Fiction was better, way more dynamic and better written :(

Still... I'd lose a nut to meet and see them live :)

yea Tue has a very specific style of mixing, It really stands out. I think some of my Favorite work by him would be Heaven Shall Burn-ANTIGONE and Threat Signals Album. I do wish though sometimes that he would make his mixes sound a little more different from eachother, most of his stuff sounds awesome but then every other band he does kinda has all the same frequencies IMO. His vocal processing is really impressive. He seems to always make the vocals stand out with that doubleded effect. Its S I C K!

TUE FUCKING MADSEN
defiantly in my top 3 engineers/producers

what he did for suicide silence the clensing. by making it so fucking disgustingly over saturated and processed was amazing, plus all of mnemics stuff he did, august burns red, DT, heaven shall burn. sick of it all. earth crisis,and FUCKING HIMSA fuck yeah

High-mid heavy, fatiguing & over-processed normally define his work to me. Granted I've only heard a few albums. If someone can suggest a 'magnum opus' I'd be more than happy to give it a spin.

yep

not gonna lie. sometimes it just fucking fits

i'm loving the new hatesphere....it's certainly overcompressed, but the overall thing just works perfectly for the music. it might be a bit fatiguing on monitors, but on consumer type speakers the mix sounds wicked. insanely heavy.

i have a feeling that he tends to mix with typical consumer speakers in mind.

edit: as already mentioned in this thread, the haunted - the dead eye is awesome too. it's much more organic than his usual work.