Tue Madsen

yeah, 3k per song only for mix/master sure does sound pretty steep.

most of the bigger "metal" studios over here seem to charge around 500 euro per day tracking (most of the time some special deals specific to album), or around the same amount for mixing/mastering jobs on a per song basis.

usual project length nowadays tends to be around 3-4weeks, which would make it around 10-15k € for the whole thing.

i wonder if some of the more experienced guys could chime in whether the 3k per song thing mentioned above is out of the ordinary or not?

It depends....the band I will record in the next months, asked to Tue his rates for mix and master the album and he said 800€/song.
Anyway, if you find WATV fatiguing, you have to hear the new Sick of it all (there is a new song released some days ago), heavilly compressed, but great sounds and it fits very well the style.
Sometimes it fits better than others.....

I know I'm reviving an OLD fucking thread...

But since this post, Dark Tranquillity have released 2 albums done by Tue Madsen...

I know a lot of guys on hear quite like the Fiction mix, and I personally love it... but I have to say. I really don't like the We are the void mix..

It just sounds so processed and I don't know, the drums irk me no end as do the guitars. They seem so high midsy, no real warmth or balls at all.

Discuss :)

You just reminded me that I've only listened to Void once since I got it. I want to love every DT album, but this one, even after only one listen seems very formula based in the song structures.

I must confess that I haven't heard LOTS of albums by Tue Madsen, but his work with The Haunted is fantastic.

It depends....the band I will record in the next months, asked to Tue his rates for mix and master the album and he said 800€/song.
Anyway, if you find WATV fatiguing, you have to hear the new Sick of it all (there is a new song released some days ago), heavilly compressed, but great sounds and it fits very well the style.
Sometimes it fits better than others.....

Just confirmed this. The quote of 12k they gave was for the entire recording, my bad guys. 800euro persong which with the exchange rate and currency conversion at the time ran them up to about $6kaud for mixing 4 tracks. Which isn't that bad.

Either way, I enjoy the mix he did for the guys, very in your face, but I must agree, very processed sounding.

That definitely sounds a lot more reasonable for metal. Though I think comparing to what the radio rock guys charge, it's still relatively quite low. I mean compare Bergstrand's 10k a month for Randy's potential 8k per song mixed. Pretty awesome.

Unfortunately $12k is what a band here will dedicate to an entire full length record IF YOU'RE LUCKY. There are usually so many corners cut, it's ridiculous.

That definitely sounds a lot more reasonable for metal. Though I think comparing to what the radio rock guys charge, it's still relatively quite low. I mean compare Bergstrand's 10k a month for Randy's potential 8k per song mixed. Pretty awesome.

Unfortunately $12k is what a band here will dedicate to an entire full length record IF YOU'RE LUCKY. There are usually so many corners cut, it's ridiculous.

Reasonable but I can't understand how much working time he need for pay is duality:loco: New Dug out look uber awesome and he still charge reasonable...

Same with Wieslawski bro, 22euros per hour.