tuning down bass advice

the alumnus

Nov 25, 2002
Visit site
recently i've been thinking of tuning my 4 string down to b. anyone have any advice on this subject? is tuning down on a bass more difficult than a guitar? should i buy a 5 string set and throw away the high g?

I'd personally just buy a 5 or 6 string if you want to switch back and forth between B and E. There's no point in buying a B, then wanting to play in E standard two days later. I know that it sounds drastic, but trust me, you'll learn to appreciate having all the extra notes at your finger tips.

If I'm not mistaken, there's some MTD 4 strings specifially made for downtuning to like B...

I'm no bass expert, but if you're using a 4 string and you want to downtune to anything past standard D-C# (depending on your bass), you're probably going to want to raise your action a bit and possibly change the gauge of your strings.

Or you could just buy a 5 string.

-Travis

There are several things you might need to consider before you tune down your bass. If you are talking about tuning all strings down a 4th, ie. BEAD then you will need to use the appropriate strings. Using E A D and G strings respectively won't really have the tension even if you use very heavy gauge strings. If you are going to do this as well you might want to consider having your bass set up when you do it as this kind of change will probably alter intonation and tension. You will also need to make sure that your nut can take the thicker strings.
On the other hand if you are talking about just one string and having tuning like BADG then you can probably get away with using a heavy gauge E string or perhaps a light gauge B string. I personally tune my E down to C on some things and this does create a loss of tension even with heavy gauge strings like 105's but depending on how you play you can get around it. If you are thinking of having your low string tuned down to the low B permanently I would probably just go for using a B string, but once again if you opt for this, I would have your bass set up to counter any tension and intonation variances.
All things being equal though, if you really want to go that low, and unless you are willing to sacrifice the range at the top end, I would probably look into getting a 5 string.

the current plan is to tune the whole thing down a 4th. i think it would be an interesting match with my 7 string guitar. i don't want to buy a new bass, and i don't really think i'd miss those last few high notes. i have a 2 octave fretboard, so there are only 3 notes i wouldn't be able to play that a standard tuned p bass hits.

Then I would definitly make sure that you get your bass properly set up; ie. have the intonation adjusted, the neck adjusted the action and so on when you put on the lower strings. Also make sure your strings are going to fit the nut, you don't want to have your strings not fitting into the grooves in the nut as this can cause a lot of potential problems from breaking the nut to the strings slipping out. Also, I definitely would go for the 5 string set so you have B E A and D strings, unless you can get the four strings separately.

simply put 5string set without G
after few days check the neck relief and correct relief/action.
works good - a lot of my friends plays this way

Interesting post - something I always wanted to know...

By the way, Jim Sheppard from Nevermore plays his 4-str bass tuned to Bb, doesnt' he? Does anyone know how is his bass set up?