Tuning guitars and bass

lepersmeesa

Badman rudeboy
Apr 10, 2005
London
www.myspace.com
So I have had a lot of recording going on lately, and when tuning after every take, I started to think about tuning.

For example, when tuning a low D, you have to play it pretty softly to make sure the note doesnt wobble everywhere not being able to tune it, so we were tuning everything else to a tuner, and tuning the D by ear, using harmonics etc.

But both techniques are slightly flawed as when you start playing, you play harder, and you will surely be playing slightly sharp every time compared to when you are tuning up. Just wondering if anyone had thought of this, and worked anything out, or experiences etc.

Cheers!

That's an issue with low string tension. Thicker strings and higher tensions are more stable. The 'normal' low E strings in string sets are already a few pounds too light compared to the A, and dropping the D makes it even worse.

Jeff

That's an issue with low string tension. Thicker strings and higher tensions are more stable. The 'normal' low E strings in string sets are already a few pounds too light compared to the A, and dropping the D makes it even worse.

Jeff

+1
I always encourage guys to track there Rhythms with a set of strings that are just 1 step heavier than what they are used to. Tighter tension on the strings makes for less intonation/wobbly note issues and produces a tighter rhythm sound. I also always tune with exactly the same attack as I use when playing, and encourage others to do so. It can take longer, but it's worth it in the end.

I also always tune with exactly the same attack as I use when playing, and encourage others to do so

YES!!!

always tune with the same pick that you'll be playing with, and hit it just as hard as you would be if you were playing through a song

there's nothing worse than dudes who finger pick notes all weak when tuning, then start chugging away when they play

I was using 10-52s ernie balls on a 25.5 scale length tuning DADGBE, didnt think it would be an issue, so it definitely is for that as well?

Actually, for that scale and tuning, that gauge should be fine. But, you've got to tune with as much attack as you use when you play.

I'm gonna be a dick and say, it's actually impossible to perfectly tune any stringed instrument!

Read up on your Pythagorean and Tempered tuning theory!

If people complain it's out of tune, just say that you're abiding to the laws of physics...

GET A STROBO STOMP!

i REFUSED to believe it could be THAT good and make THAT much of a difference...

even on a single guitar it is IMMEDIATELY noticeable that it is more in tune. when stacking 2-4 tracks it is BLUDGEON YOUR SKULL obvious.

also it is common knowledge to use your THUMB to pluck the string when tuning as this produces more of the FUNDAMENTAL and less OVERTONES that will fuck up the tuner's tracking.

Meisterjäger;7421240 said:
Why's it so much better than, say, a TU-2 or DT-10?

It's all to do with what the LEDs represent. Each LED potentially represents a value of 5 cents or more, so you're never 'exactly' in tune but close enough. Strobe tuning allows for accuracy of 0.1 of cent, so again, you're never exactly going to be in tune, but you're closer than you were with an LED tuner.

To me, the problem sounds like tension. 52-10's should be fine for DADGBE (and I find for everything up to a half a step lower than that), especially on a guitar of that scale length.

That would make tuning more difficult.

Plus, the distortion should come from a tube amp, which would be after your tuner in the signal chain ;)

It's all to do with what the LEDs represent. Each LED potentially represents a value of 5 cents or more, so you're never 'exactly' in tune but close enough. Strobe tuning allows for accuracy of 0.1 of cent, so again, you're never exactly going to be in tune, but you're closer than you were with an LED tuner.

I see, sound like the best way to tune anything for sure, but I'd have to consider if I need accuracy like that, especially at double the cost of an LED tuner.

The band I'm in right now tunes the whole thing down to C#! When I first got the gig they were all the way down to C and I talked them into going up a half step. I went from using Boomer .009-.046's to Boomer .012-.052's and I still have tension issues and some of my saddles are adjusted to their max and the thing is still a hair out of intonation. I wouldn't mind going up another half step, to D. Low doesn't always mean HEAVY. Shit listen to "The Thing That Should Not Be" or "Unchained" these might be drop D but that's way different than slack tuning. It took a bit to get used to the heavy strings, especially hopping right up to .012's from .009's but I'll never go back down below .011's, bigger strings have more ring and they thump harder too.

Meisterjäger;7423798 said:
I see, sound like the best way to tune anything for sure, but I'd have to consider if I need accuracy like that, especially at double the cost of an LED tuner.

the question is do you want your guitar to be in tune or KINDA CLOSE?

i was like you and i dismissed the peterson stuff because of the cost for years and used my old trusty rackmount Korg... but then one day i just bought a used one off ebay to SEE. i could resell it if it was not worth it.

NOW IT IS THE 1 PEDAL THAT I WILL NOT PART WITH.

i thought i was getting good tuning before... i mean it sounded alright, you know. but after using a strobostomp/stroboflip guitars sound fucking tight as fuck. there is nothing worse than double tracked guitars with the tuning slightly off between the tracks. with a regular tuner you're talking up to 10 CENTS difference between any two takes!!!

might as well throw an eventide harmonizer on a single track in that case. shit.

p.s. NEVER tune with distortion going into the tuner. that's like throwing a bunch of sand and dirt and shit on your kitchen floor before mopping it.

Have any of you guys noticed that the PODxt and X3's tuners are extremely inaccurate, especially in the lower registers? Perhaps its just me, but I notice the same effect and all 7 of my guitars and 2 basses. Forget about tuning a bass guitar with it.

Have any of you guys noticed that the PODxt and X3's tuners are extremely inaccurate, especially in the lower registers? Perhaps its just me, but I notice the same effect and all 7 of my guitars and 2 basses. Forget about tuning a bass guitar with it.

Erm, use harmonics. You get more high content and the harmonics are going to be perfectly in tune by the basic laws of physics. That's how I get my basses and the 7 tuned with guitar tuners. If your tuner likes highs, give it some fucking highs.

Jeff

the question is do you want your guitar to be in tune or KINDA CLOSE?

i was like you and i dismissed the peterson stuff because of the cost for years and used my old trusty rackmount Korg... but then one day i just bought a used one off ebay to SEE. i could resell it if it was not worth it.

NOW IT IS THE 1 PEDAL THAT I WILL NOT PART WITH.

i thought i was getting good tuning before... i mean it sounded alright, you know. but after using a strobostomp/stroboflip guitars sound fucking tight as fuck. there is nothing worse than double tracked guitars with the tuning slightly off between the tracks. with a regular tuner you're talking up to 10 CENTS difference between any two takes!!!

might as well throw an eventide harmonizer on a single track in that case. shit.

p.s. NEVER tune with distortion going into the tuner. that's like throwing a bunch of sand and dirt and shit on your kitchen floor before mopping it.

I can't bring myself to argue with a man claiming something is 'fucking tight as fuck'! Thems big words! I want my fucking guitar tracks to fucking tight as fuck, man, of course I do. I'll keep my eye on eBay for one, thanks for the recommendation dude