Tuning Resonators / perforated panels

|Thanatos

Sep 9, 2008
Finland, Turku
I got my hands on a pair of huge (140cm x 37 x 37) resonators that I am trying to use to tame the low end of my room. Here is a picture of my EQ response in my studio: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2078401/REW.PNG

As you can see, especially the low end is a mess. The highest peaks on the low end are on 77 hz and 121 hz, and the valleys are at 55hz and 95hz. It seems to me that the high peaks and nulls are not harmonics happening since they are so far apart, so I think I will have to deal with each peak and null on their own.

I already tuned the other resonator to 55hz and it did help me sowhat. What I was wondering was about your opinion on where to tune the second resonator. Are they as beneficial when taking care of peaks, as they are in removing valleys? There is also a very deep valley on 28,8 hz, but I think this might be just due to my monitors not having enough power on the low end (Adam s3a). At this moment I think that taking care of that 77hz resonace would be the smartest thing to do. What do you guys think?

I do realize that the whole frequency response looks very bad. I will have to treat the room on the whole spectrum much much more.

first, two tuned resonators won't do much to the frequency-response of this untreated(?) room, there are many problems with different roots.

can you post the rew-file? don't concentrate on the frequency graph too much, the waterfall & spectogram is more important imho.

i assume lots of the low-end-problems in the frequency-response are due boundary-intereference (sbir/lbir). tuned traps won't help much here.
tuned traps work best to reduce the ringing of modal-frequencys. check in the waterfall/specto & room-dimensions which frequencys are modal, and tune the traps to them. place the resonators where the pressure of the frequency is the highest.

and experiment with speaker/listener position (very important).