Turisas Music Video - Media Project

JonnyBlackmore

Vikingur
Dec 10, 2011
UK
www.facebook.com
Hi guys, I have begun making an amateur music video for the song 'The March Of The Varangian Guard' for my school media project. I will create the video through a mixture of video footage, illustrations and possibly animation.

Check out my blog showing my research and planning so far. You can find the blog at this link http://jonnyblackmore.blogspot.com/
I would be grateful if you could leave some comments; what you like, what I could improve and any ideas of your own. I have just posted my storyboards for what I plan to create.

I have shot some of the footage already and have begun to edit it together. At some point I will post what I have created so far.

I don't really have any ideas, inspiration, or artistic inclination. I just wanted to give you kudos for the work you've done so far.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

Hmm.. a couple questions and some feedback.
Is it believeable that there would be men carrying drums in the war band? At this point the sight seems a little un fitting. :)

Is the band going to be played by someone or would they be animated? (Animation would be cool!)

Just by this quick overall look I came to thinking that maybe it isn't necessary to try to put up a scene for almost every line in the song. A couple bullseyes are good but if there's constantly direct connections they could lose their impact? Kinda hard to tell how it would be at this stage but just got the impression that there'd be quite a few of those.

If you need help with illustrations I could probably lend a hand... If wanted. :)
And like crash already said: Kudos!

Thanks for the detailed feedback Kele

Is it believeable that there would be men carrying drums in the war band? At this point the sight seems a little un fitting.

I was thinking the marching drummers would be creating a beat for the war band to march to. I see your point as I haven't researched how historically accurate that would be. I have already edited part of the video together and I think that particular section looks good. I may post what I have edited so far, then you can see what you think.

Is the band going to be played by someone or would they be animated? (Animation would be cool!)

I have already filmed an imitation of Turisas for the video by dressing my friends up in furs and war paint. I was thinking of using some animation for parts of the video for instance viking ships travelling across rivers and sea to Constantinople. I may also use animation to try and create a large war band, as I can't create the scale I want with live filming. Do you have any advice with animation?

Just by this quick overall look I came to thinking that maybe it isn't necessary to try to put up a scene for almost every line in the song. A couple bullseyes are good but if there's constantly direct connections they could lose their impact? Kinda hard to tell how it would be at this stage but just got the impression that there'd be quite a few of those.

Yes I see what you mean. My storyboard is quite packed with imagery relating to the lyrics nearly all the way through. What do you suppose I could use instead. More shots of the band playing? A more constant storyline not relating so directly to the lyrics?

If you need help with illustrations I could probably lend a hand... If wanted.

The rules from the exam board say that I have to create everything in the video myself, however it would be great if you could give me some advice. What kind of illustrations were you thinking of?

Cheers

Jonny

Thanks for the detailed feedback Kele

1 ....Do you have any advice with animation?..

2 Yes I see what you mean. My storyboard is quite packed with imagery relating to the lyrics nearly all the way through. What do you suppose I could use instead. More shots of the band playing? A more constant storyline not relating so directly to the lyrics?

3 The rules from the exam board say that I have to create everything in the video myself, however it would be great if you could give me some advice. What kind of illustrations were you thinking of?

1: Sorry, I know very little about animation.. :p
2: Yeah, more of the general storyline, like marching, fighting, scouting for enemies, preparations for war et.c.
3: Nah I just thought that you already had it planned since you mentioned in the description. But since you'd have to do it by yourself anyways.. :p Don't know what you meant to use them to.

Hi guys,

I have just made a short, comic teaser-trailer for my music video (The March of the Varangian Guard). The video has been made with iMovie's pre made trailer template (epic music, spinning globe, title sequences, etc.). The video mainly consists of out-takes and funny clips from the footage so far.

Here is a link directly to the You Tube Video:

I have recently updated some filming diaries on my blog with videos and photos of my progress so far. If you want to check out my latest updates to my blog, follow this link:

http://jonnyblackmore.blogspot.com/

It would be great if you could comment on my blog and Youtube videos of what you think and give any constructive criticism you have.
Soon I will post my real music video so far (about 2minutes in) so keep posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, check out my fan video (so far...) for 'The March of the Varangian Guard'. Hope you enjoy.

It would be great if you could give some feedback

P.s. sorry about the triple post

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice so far. I'd like to develop but my english vocabulary is limited in cinematic field. Sorry.
Keep going!!

MNge

I actually just had this pop up on my youtube search for the day- GREAT job! I posted it on my fan page :D

Thanks for the feedback! Im glad you enjoyed it.

It would be great if you could subscribe to my you tube channel or just keep posted, as I hope to do more videos in the future. They may not necessarily be for Turisas songs, but they most likely will be for folk/folk metal based :D

Thanks for the feedback! Im glad you enjoyed it.

It would be great if you could subscribe to my you tube channel or just keep posted, as I hope to do more videos in the future. They may not necessarily be for Turisas songs, but they most likely will be for folk/folk metal based :D

Done :)