Tuska Festival 2011

Just saw the pictures, there are a lot of them, it's cool.

Seems like Johan has lost a little weight, don't you think?

How did the new location hold up in comparison to Kaisaniemi?
Kaisaniemi seemed to be a more convenient location.

Well, we were staying in Kaisaniemi so it would have been more convenient for us, that's the truth... but then it was only two or three metro stops away, not in the middle of nowhere. But every festival I've been to is been in open fields so the concrete felt hot in comparison.

You can't get the perfect festival but in terms of Line-up and atmosphere Tuska was pretty good :)

Makes you wonder why they moved it to Suvilahti on the first place :confused:

Gotta say some facts here:
1) The festival was moved to Suvilahti for two reasons
- The people living in Kaisaniemi park were complaining every year about the garbage and noise. Garbage mostly by teenagers who were not on the festival area but outside the festival sitting in the park drinking.
- The area could not grow any bigger from it, so they needed a bigger venue to fit more people in.

2) The festival is not going to move back anytime soon. They need the bigger venue that the Suvilahti provides and the old rich people living in Kaisaniemi are not going to get any happier about the music they play.

3) Some rumors say that the rule that you can bring your own alcohol inside is only for the Kaisaniemi area. That's false. The Finnish law says that you are not allowed to bring your own alcohol to an event that is not free. Tuska just had an special permit for that from the previous Mayor of Helsinki. The new one did not give the permit.

Good to know. That makes sense, especially considering that the Kaisaniemi area seems to be pretty upscale.

Thanks- Pity about the people drinking outside being a deciding factor. They only managed to avoid complaints by the Kaisaniemi residents because they followed the event to Suvilahti anyway.

Once you got inside, as festivals go this was very civilised, which is mostly down to the festival goers... It was one of the things we noticed. :D did not observe any fights/arguments with the security staff, first for me.

Thanks- Pity about the people drinking outside being a deciding factor. They only managed to avoid complaints by the Kaisaniemi residents because they followed the event to Suvilahti anyway.

Once you got inside, as festivals go this was very civilised, which is mostly down to the festival goers... It was one of the things we noticed. :D did not observe any fights/arguments with the security staff, first for me.

Tuska has been one of the "Cleanest" festivals in Finnish history. Hardly any fights... if i recall there has been 1 in 14 Tuska Festivals. No drug busts, nothing. Only problem in kaisaniemi were the people who did not have tickets, sitting outside the area on the park. They made a lot of garbage and some minor misdemeanors like small fights etc.

Tuska is a place where people with the same musical taste gather together and hang out and listen to great music. There is no need to fight or use drugs. Just read in a Finnish newspaper like 5mins ago that in Oulu there were 72 felonies during a HipHop event (5000 participants) this weekend. 11 Childcare notifications... drug busts...

And then the goddamn media tries to make metal youth look like criminals! :D
Every time there is a schoolshooting or something as severe, media blames it on metal... Directly or indirectly.

The media here does the same thing, although I've rarely seen fights at metal shows. The only times fights seem to start are when someone who obviously isn't in the metal circle shows up to see a band and acts in the way that THEY believe metal heads act. :guh:

Actually, while I was at a few festivals in Finland, I was amazed to see that (for the most part) the crowds were very respecting of each other and there was a lot less pushing and unwanted moshing than there is over here.

Yea, most metalheads here respect other people. Sometimes in club gigs and small hall venues the circlepit "swallows in" some "wannabes" who don't quite catch the idea that you are supposed to bump in to the other people in the pit, not the ones standing on the sidelines. Usually someone in the pit gets them corrected.

To be honest the worst behaviour I've seen in a festival was the Donnington riots of 2006, And on that occassion the people starting the riots were the under 18s...

But what I meant is that in general the UK is not as good accepting authority figures telling you "you can't bring that in" or "the bar is closed, go drink elsewhere". That's what impressed me of Tuska, people were like, "OK, thanks" whereas in a UK festival (metal or not) people tend to at least contend that...