Reviewer
Jun 20, 2004
London
www.geocities.com
twentysixfeet – My Dead Organ
Self released – 9th July 2007
By Anna Novitzky

twentysixfeet.jpg

Expectations can be a terrible thing. The film mercilessly hyped for months before release; the TV programme that your friends tell you that you MUST watch, you’ll LOVE it; the longed-for gadget which takes those few too many weeks to be released: none of these have any hope of living up to the image which has been created. Similarly, when a post-rock band is repeatedly touted as giving people like 65daysofstatic a run for their money, you’re heading for a disappointment.

This is a real shame, because twentysixfeet by no means suck. This two-track sampler consists of smooth, ambient waves of sound, dreamy vocals and catchy beats. The titular ’My Dead Organ’ is a cool slice of futuristic funkiness, while B-side ’Hejira’ is reminiscent of My Vitriol in their prime. However, there’s no sign of the apocalyptic musical vision widely touted in reviews of last year’s debut album, Two Hours of Passionless Tango. Instead, they come off as accomplished but bored. twentysixfeet are clearly talented, but the music shows no ardour – and ardour is what you need if you are really to give pause to the giants of your genre.

Official twentysixfeet Website