Church Organ

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Many of you will remember me almost constantly saying "New opeth should have church organ" before they even entered the studio... well guess what?

Opeth said:
The band is currently hard at work in Fascination street studios. 9 titles have been recorded and at this moment Hammond organs and Mellotrons are being put down to tape.

I don't really care for mellotrons on a heavy record, but it's good they took my suggestion for the organ (but i probably won't get credit... if they use bells though, i'm gonna take action! :tickled: cause the idea was for the organ, and bells... like church bell or whatever.)

They said they recorded 9 tracks. I think they have taken the first step closer to the main stream. They're going to be putting in more catchy things and hooky song parts, possibly even a chorus every 45 seconds or so in the song. By my calculations of the average Opeth record, each song will be an average of about 6 minutes, or 6 and a half. This isn't too long for radio play, in fact I heard "Pull Me Under" by Dream Theater recently, plus all those Metallica songs I'm sure are atleast that long.

So there you have it. Oh, and Roadrunner already announced that Opeth signed to them, or atleast was "inking up to" sign with them.... I think it's dissapointing that Opeth didn't just come out and say it even though it's fairly obvious by now. :cry: It's like people thought. Opeth will get popular to the point of it influencing their music. FOR EXAMPLE, a certain guitar lesson was recorded around 2001 or so from www.guitar.com with Opeth, where Mikael said something along the line of "there is still so much to explore on the guitar instead of getting a keyboard player".. 2 CDs later, they have a full-time keyboardist. I'm not saying Opeth is going to completely lose touch with their fanbase, and dissapoint everyone like in flames did... but its possible. And I like Per's keyboards and I think he's a funny guy, but I hope they don't get him to sing on the record... :loco: !

- As an extra side note, I'd like to mention that Porcupine Tree is influenced by Opeth now, as it is possible that Opeth may be more influenced by bands like Porcupine Tree.

The thread wasn't regarding the news update, it was mostly regarding the organ and opeth selling out! I think I did the same thing when Damnation was coming, so eh. :)

Remember, My Arms Your Hearse had 9 tracks (11 including the bonuses). Still Life had 7. Blackwater Park had 7 (9 including the bonuses).

P.S. Per sucks at keys. I could do better.

Oinkness said:
Many of you will remember me almost constantly saying "New opeth should have church organ" before they even entered the studio... well guess what?

I don't really care for mellotrons on a heavy record, but it's good they took my suggestion for the organ (but i probably won't get credit... if they use bells though, i'm gonna take action! :tickled: cause the idea was for the organ, and bells... like church bell or whatever.)

They said they recorded 9 tracks. I think they have taken the first step closer to the main stream. They're going to be putting in more catchy things and hooky song parts, possibly even a chorus every 45 seconds or so in the song. By my calculations of the average Opeth record, each song will be an average of about 6 minutes, or 6 and a half. This isn't too long for radio play, in fact I heard "Pull Me Under" by Dream Theater recently, plus all those Metallica songs I'm sure are atleast that long.

So there you have it. Oh, and Roadrunner already announced that Opeth signed to them, or atleast was "inking up to" sign with them.... I think it's dissapointing that Opeth didn't just come out and say it even though it's fairly obvious by now. :cry: It's like people thought. Opeth will get popular to the point of it influencing their music. FOR EXAMPLE, a certain guitar lesson was recorded around 2001 or so from www.guitar.com with Opeth, where Mikael said something along the line of "there is still so much to explore on the guitar instead of getting a keyboard player".. 2 CDs later, they have a full-time keyboardist. I'm not saying Opeth is going to completely lose touch with their fanbase, and dissapoint everyone like in flames did... but its possible. And I like Per's keyboards and I think he's a funny guy, but I hope they don't get him to sing on the record... :loco: !

- As an extra side note, I'd like to mention that Porcupine Tree is influenced by Opeth now, as it is possible that Opeth may be more influenced by bands like Porcupine Tree.

I'm really sure Opeth decided to make every song 6 minutes long.

Well, it's better to be looking down to begin with I suppose. Then when the album comes out it will kick your as even harder. Iam looking forward to this album and have no negative feelings about it. I have enjoyed listening to every album that Opeth has released, and I'm sure they aren't going to dissapoint me on this one.

i've been listening to green carnation's "light of day, day of darkness" a bit recently, and they managed to incorporate some hammond into heavy parts and it sounds pretty cool to me. i have the utmost confidence in the 4...er, 5 opethians of the apocalypse.

I don't think Opeth could possibly "sell out." I really don't think it's possible, unless we see a huge departure from albums past, which I doubt. Besides, this is only pointless speculation. None of us can say for sure how many "real" songs there are on the album or how long each one is.

On the subject of song length, didn't Mike announce that there were 90-100 minutes of music before the recording? Even if they scrapped a bit of that, they could still fill an 80 minute CD to the brim, which with 9 songs gives us an average of ~8+ minutes. I'm assuming there will be one fairly short song (~2 minutes, like Patterns in the Ivy) and one song around 5 or 6 minutes (like Harvest or Benighted). Subtracting that 8 minutes of space leaves us with 72 minutes of 7 long songs, which would clock each of those in at just over ten minutes each.

That, my friends, is how one should speculate.