Two rhythm guitarists playing same song?

RottenJesus

New Metal Member
Sep 30, 2007
Finland
www.myspace.com
I prefer one rhythm guitarist, four takes. They can alternate songs if they want, but one song one guitarist. Leads and overdubs can be split, if they both are good enough. Otherwise, best player tracks all. And I choose who is best.

I was reading this doc_backmask's reply in another thread and started wondering how usual it is to choose one guitarist to play rhythm parts for whole song?

We have two guitarists in band and till now in demos we have recorded other guitarist playing rhythm stuff to left channel and other to right. But when I think about it now, I'd presume you would get tighter sound if only one plays because it's easier to duplicate your own performance? Also both guitarists played with their own guitars so sound varied quite bit in that way also.

It would be nice hear if you have any thoughts about this :)

I played all the guitar parts on the album my band finished last year... I think it's a good idea to maybe split it up so each guitarist does half of the songs, and have each guitarist play all the parts in the song rhythm wise so that each song on it's own sounds tightest, but it all depends on what style of music your recording really... If you've got 2 really tight fantastic guitarists in the band then putting one of them left and one right for the whole album might work out nicely, they'll still sound a bit different and it would probably help widen your stereo image a bit...

One important thing to consider is what type of sound you want to get out. I like rhythms to be tight, thick and cohesive, so I like to go with one guitar/one guitarist per song. If I was looking for even more texture, I may consider changing guitars for two takes or even for a center panned guitar (of course, ducking behind the vox). If you have the lucky situation of having the Amott brothers who can actually mimic each others grooves, then by all means track both :kickass:.

Slayer did that on Christ Illusion with Kerry King taking over almost all of the rhythm duties. But I personally prefer hearing the people you're going to hear in a live situation.

Watch out for the ego's.....

My last band broke up because the other guitarrist in the band (who's band it was basically) couldn't handle getting told that I was going to do all the rythyms by the producer. Everything came to a halt......and with that, it was over.

Good thing though, cause i'm way more stoked on my new band.....haha

My last band broke up because the other guitarrist in the band (who's band it was basically) couldn't handle getting told that I was going to do all the rythyms by the producer. Everything came to a halt......and with that, it was over.

:lol: I was coming to say exactly the same pretty much. Dog eat dog world out there, and if your guitar playing is shit, thou shall be punished.

Then have both record their tracks and don't tell the guitarists you're only using one of theirs... no bitchy guitarists and more time on the clock for you...

Jeff

A husband always annoys his wife by proudly calling her 'mother of five', even around visitors. One day, they go to a party, and after merriment and a few drinks each they get ready to go. "Ready, mother of five?" asks the husband.

"Okay, father of three..."

Jeff

that would make one feel like shit though
"sorry dude you can't be on the album" :erk:

i don't think it has that much to do with ego...for example i was in a band where everyone but the drummer wrote music for all instruments, sometimes they'd ask me to play a part & i couldn't quite cut it, so they'd pass it off to the other guitarist, i never felt bad. but if when we recorded our demo they would have told me: "sorry dude you can't be on the demo"
that would feel like a kick in the nads

i wouldn't want to be around someone who just kicked me in the balls

A husband always annoys his wife by proudly calling her 'mother of five', even around visitors. One day, they go to a party, and after merriment and a few drinks each they get ready to go. "Ready, mother of five?" asks the husband.

"Okay, father of three..."

Jeff

...I don't get it :erk:

Thanks guys for all replies :worship: We'll aim for modern death metal guitar sound (ala Zyklon, Myrkskog etc.) and after reading replies it certainly looks like that we might try something else for next recording.