typing speed?

Yep, that threw me a bit, too. I always double-space at the end of sentences since it's standard manuscript format. Any other method is wrong, damnit. :)

(Reviewing this message, my double-spaces were converted to single. Curses! Phooey! Indeed, phooey!)

Actually, I was taught it was wrong to double space on computers (not typewriters mind you) because the system automatically accounts for the extra space needed to emphasize a new sentence.

Pah. I'm old school. I actually typed out manuscripts for (never published) novels using ye old double-spaced lines and the sacred two spaces after periods. And underlines for italics, since you couldn't trust the typesetter to do it right. :D

(I confess to having one short story published in an anthology, but those old novels never saw the light of day, or a day of darkness for that matter. :))

i think is argued over about the spacing at the end of a sentence, theres apparently an article written on why single spacing is correct on that page, but the link is broken. im sure you could hunt it up. its probably just a regional type thing, like other parts of the world spell favorite, favourite, or color, colour. its probably just which one is accepted where you live. im used to double spacing, but i can type faster single spacing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_stop#Spacing_after_full_stop

Since current style guides are founded on the consensus of practice, the evidence strongly suggests that most people accept the single space in modern word-processing, largely for the reason that two spaces may stretch inordinately when full justification is applied. Additionally, many computer typefaces are designed proportionately to alleviate the need for the double space (the opposition would of course reply that this does nothing to satisfy the aforementioned saliency issue). Most widely accepted contemporary style guides categorically require that only one space be placed after full stops and similar punctuation marks, and they characterise modern practice as avoiding it.

I was taught the MLA standard in high school and college which supports single spacing. When I started school, we were always taught to double space, though.
(why the hell are we on this topic again?) :confused:
And unfortunately my typing sucks these days. I make errors here and there but I usually correct the errors immediately. So on tests like these I'm automatically trying to backspace and clean up words as a habit and end up just wasting time. I was in the 85 wpm area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_stop#Spacing_after_full_stop

I was taught the MLA standard in high school and college which supports single spacing. When I started school, we were always taught to double space, though.
(why the hell are we on this topic again?) :confused:
And unfortunately my typing sucks these days. I make errors here and there but I usually correct the errors immediately. So on tests like these I'm automatically trying to backspace and clean up words as a habit and end up just wasting time. I was in the 85 wpm area.

the best way to actually improve your typing speed IMO is to type as fast as you can with zero errors ALL the time, of course everyone is just going to type at comfort speed when they are on the internet and stuff.

but if you really want to get faster just focus on making NO mistakes, think of it as how you learn to play an instrument, you play slow, precise, and build speed over time.