Tyr - By The Light Of The Northern Star - holy shit

i am totally addicted to the song "by the sword in my hand"
holy shit ITS SO FUCKING EPIC.

Their tour manager was a douchebag, but they were alright live. Alestorm were better.

Joe

haha, I thought the same...was quite surprising to see actually...Alestorm definitely have become MUCH better live.

I haven't heard the new TYR CD yet...might have to get it I guess.
They're fun guys to be around, too.

EDIT: haha, I'm stupid....I actually don't have to buy it I think, since I compiled the Tour Sampler I should have it lying around somewhere ...having a look (and another listen)....weird that I can't remember it being that good...perhaps I'm just not a Jacob Hansen Fan....or I've just forgotten that I liked it...I'll find out ;)

Tyr can do no wrong in my eyes. The new songs up on their myspace rock. Hope to get hold of the album asap.

I just heard the album and what was striking to me, was that almost every vocal take was (at least) 2-octave layered.

That leaves me thinking about alot really. Often, I think my own recorded voice sounds better layered that way always when it comes to metal, but then I assume it must be the incompetent detail of my entry-level gear, because without a high-end preamp and converters, the sound isn't as "full" as it could be..am I wrong?

It probably all boils down to the performance, but it would be cool to hear another sneap-forum opinion as well!

I like it but think it's a little too low-middy for my liking. I prefer Jacob's power metal work though, so that's a given. Overall it's a good album but if they can't pull it off live there's no point. Jacob loves his layered vocals though, for the intro to our album he requested we record another 4 backing harmonies!!

This album kicks ass, I don't care if they can pull it off live or not, since they're never gonna make it to Australia anyway!

This album kicks ass, I don't care if they can pull it off live or not, since they're never gonna make it to Australia anyway!

Haha we're used to that feeling, aren't we? I feckin love Tyr now - when I first heard Eric The Red a couple of years ago, I didn't appreciate that virtually all the songs were mid-paced, but now I'm not as big a sucker on high tempos as I used to be, and I appreciate the epicness.