Uberschall questions

jkkkjkhk

New Metal Member
Oct 20, 2011
I'm thinking of picking up a Line6 HD pod (desktop). Never owned any Line6 gear before but decided to try one out for around 2 hours yesterday. Tried it through a Crown poweramp into dual soldano 2x12 cabs and it sounded amazing. I also tried it with studio headphones and wasn't nearly as impressed. I used to own an 11R which was great as well but didn't have half the amps I wanted. BTW an 11R was right next to this so I could A/B if I wanted, but I didn't. My main interest in the HD is for the engl and uberschall models. I can get recto, marshall, and fender models anywhere but the unique high gain ones aren't as easy to find. I have my Mesa Mark III so no need for a IIC+ model either. Now if it had a good 5150 it'd be perfect (well closer).

I have the LE456 plugin which seems to be considered the absolute best ENGL powerball/fireball simulator around so I'm not as worried about the HD's fireball model. But as far as the Uberschall there doesn't seem to be any highly rated simulators out there. Even for the Axe Fx all I hear is how off it sounds compared to the real thing. If I could get a real one I would but $250 (my discount) for the HD vs $2500 for the bogner, I'll go with the Line6. I did like the sound of the model so in a way that's what matters most but I'm curious how close it sounds to the real thing. A few things I noticed is that there wasn't nearly as much low end as I expected. All I hear is how massive the low end is but even with the bass at 10 it wasn't muddy and not crazy bass heavy, is that normal?

The tone that got me interested in the uberschall is Trivium's "crusade". I always thought that was a JVM410 cause it's very classic marshall-ish so it was quite a shock to hear it was a modern metal dream amp. Also I have redwirez full set so if the cab models are a big down side then I'm not worried about that. I may be borrowing one from work tomorrow to try it out for a few days to determine if I want one or not so just looking for any tips or knowledge before I do.

So is the Line6 Uberschall model close or even similar to a real bogner? Is it closer than an Axe FX? Are there any other good bogner sims out there? I wish Lepou would make one, his work is amazing.

I've thought of if I run the HD through the poweramp of my Mark III would it be closer sounding or would the stock poweramp sim be better? Guess I'll have to wait for that.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I had a HD Pro and sold it fast. No matter what I did, even after immense tweaking, it never sounded close enough to a good amp that I would hold on to the thing.

Stick to soft-sims; you'll probably be happier

The line 6 HD Uberschall is not all that much like the real amp. A pod always sounds like a pod to me, and not the amps they try to emulate. YMMV

Also, I agree with Greg. I bought the Pod HD on two different occasions and returned it both times within a week. To me, the soft-sims sound better, but still not as good as a real amp.

Real amp>soft-sims>POD

53Crëw;10299373 said:
The line 6 HD Uberschall is not all that much like the real amp. A pod always sounds like a pod to me, and not the amps they try to emulate. YMMV

Also, I agree with Greg. I bought the Pod HD on two different occasions and returned it both times within a week. To me, the soft-sims sound better, but still not as good as a real amp.

Real amp>soft-sims>POD

Oh definitely, if I could use a real uberschall I would but not much of an option right now. Good thing I'm test driving the HD before just buying one. I've always disliked line6 stuff but this HD stuff had me interested.

So do you guys know of any softsims that model an uberschall, for mac too?

Thanks

The Mark III poweramp section is not akin to other amps in most respects. The frequency response curve and negative feedback are pretty darned different IIRC.

The Mark III poweramp section is not akin to other amps in most respects. The frequency response curve and negative feedback are pretty darned different IIRC.

So you'd shy away from that?

Thanks for the help so far guys

he didn't really say he'd shy away...he just said the power amps of each are fairly different

you never know, the uber pre thru the mark III power amp might be the holy grail of untapped tones...

Yeah, a Mark poweramp is voiced pretty dark. At least darker than other comparable high gain power amps.

I'll definitely give it a try tomorrow, can't wait. But I spent a few minutes tonight messing with it. Trying the uber setting with different cabs, and then using redwirez. Night and day difference, won't touch the stock cabs anymore. Also messed with the fireball model and A/B'ed it with the LE456, very very close but the LE456 is just thicker and more in your face. It was a quick comparison so I'm sure with more time I could get them identical. So far for only about 30 minutes of messing I'm pretty damn happy with it. Even if it's not amazing it sounds pretty damn good for what it is. I will say though, the rectifier model seems to suck. Has this weird treble spike going on that I can't get rid of, just sounds weird no matter what I do. I'll keep messing with it but not too much, didn't really want or need a recto model to begin with.

I'll keep you posted

If you've got a good Recto model, you should be able to make it sound pretty close to an Uber with some tweaking
shrug.gif

Alternatively, you could try AcmeBarGig's Headcase beta, they've got 2 custom Uberschall models on virtualampstash.com last I checked :kickass:

If you've got a good Recto model, you should be able to make it sound pretty close to an Uber with some tweaking
shrug.gif

Alternatively, you could try AcmeBarGig's Headcase beta, they've got 2 custom Uberschall models on virtualampstash.com last I checked :kickass:

Thanks, I'll definitely try that one out too.

So brought back the HD500 today, still not sold on it. The LE456 model blows the HD fireball away, thicker, clearer, more articulate, just overall so much nicer. It's not a huge difference but big enough for me. I've been trying to check out the acmebargig sims but I can't find actual sims. All I'm finding are just skins, but maybe I'm stupid. Also, since I haven't found any models might as well ask, do they work on mac? No sense spending time looking for them if they can't work to begin with.

Also Matrix, I'm sure I could copy a select uber tone with another amp model but I'm more wanting to hear how the amp sounds with different cabs, different settings... not just one tone. Plus the main uber tone that got me interested isn't pure uber. Not necessarily tone chasing, just want to try one (without actually trying one).

thanks

you just have to install the skins, it's just one ampsim but you can change the values with the building suite,
that way you're able to recreate sounds of different amps, all the data that changes these values to create
"new" amps are included in the skins, just install them, not sure how this works, but it's cool :D

You can also try LeXtac from Lepou, it's a Bogner XTC but sounds really cool, TSE X40's Beta sounds abit like
a Recto mixed with a 5150, that's pretty cool, too, just get yourself as much softsims as possible ;)
You could also try to match eq them (see Clark Kent's tutiroal) to get in the same vein, works pretty well.

I'll check that stuff out again. Also if I'm correct TSE only works on windows so that's not an option.