Ultimate Album Side

1 - Invisible - Dio
2 - I Rule the Ruins - Warlock
3 - Don't Say a Word - Sonata Arctica
4 - The Needle Lies - Queensryche
5 - That's What the Wise Lady Said - Angtoria
6 - Jungleland - Bruce Springsteen

This was really hard for me. It's even harder when I don't have a point of reference for myself (track listing on my laptop, CD collection, etc.) because I'm at work. Even still, I could probably make a dozen of these album sides and never be completely happy because I like so much music. Fun exercise! :headbang: I'm looking forward to some of these more targeted album side exercises. :D

Yeah, that's the way I am. I like seeing Dio's Invisible on there though. Great tune! :headbang:

~Brian~

THIN LIZZY - "Thunder and Lightning"
JOURNEY - "Wheel in the Sky"
IRON MAIDEN - "The Number of the Beast"
JUDAS PRIEST - "You've Got Another Thing Comin'"
FOREIGNER - "Jukebox Hero"
MEGADETH - "Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?"

Wow! This is tough!

Dream Theater - Learning To Live
Rush - Freewill
Queensryche - Suite Sister Mary
Symphony X - The Accolade
Enchant - Under Fire
Yes - Long Distance Runaround

Honorable Mentions:
Fates Warning - Valley of the Dolls, The Apparition, or Static Acts
Kansas - The Wall
Metal Church - Metal Church

Hmmm...like someone else above said, these change around pretty often, but off the top of my head:

1. Flight of Icarus - Iron Maiden
2. Chance - Savatage
3. Pull Me Under - Dream Theater
4. Black Horsemen - King Diamond
5. Hotel California - Eagles
6. Private Affair - Garfield (TXHOSER & ashaman7122: yes, I was just listening to this on Saturday!)

Each of these songs represent something special to me (in different ways, of course! :lol: ), so they'd definitely make up a good Ultimate Album side to me.

:Smokin:

1. Thunderstruck - AC/DC
2. The Mirror - Dream Theater
3. Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden
4. Addicted To Chaos - Megadeth
5. Flying In A Blue Dream - Joe Satriani
6. Unchained - Van Halen

In no particular order:

Bach: Air for a G String, Fugue in G minor ("Little") or Cello Suite No. 1 in G major - Prelude depending on mood.

Tori Amos: In My Head or Precious Things

Blue Murder: Valley of the Kings

Yngwie: Icarus Dream Suite Op. 4

Engine: Perfect Star

Fates Warning: 11th Hour, Road Goes On Forever, ASPOG pt V or Still Remains (like I can pick a favorite Fates song.)

Here are mine in no particular order. Not as hard for me going back - newer stuff will be harder!

Yngwie Malmsteen - Brothers
Queensryche - Spreading The Disease
Whitesnake - Still of the Night
Megadeth - Wake Up Dead
Metal Church - Fake Healer
Metallica - The Four Horsemen

Here goes:

1) Queensryche - Walk In the Shadows
2) Maiden - Revelations
3) Garfield - A Private Affair
4) Springsteen - Thunder Road
5) Crimson Glory - In Dark Places
6) Badlands - Whiskey Dust

Wow, a lot of Queensryche on here, and a lot of different QR songs to boot. I'll add another.

#1: Queensryche - Another Rainy Night (Without You)

The rest in no order.

Scorpions - No One Like You
Tesla - Paradise
Nazareth - Changin' Times
Collective Soul - Where The River Flows
Sonata Arctica - White Pearl, Black Oceans

I was thinking of an idea last night that a local radio station (96 Rock) in Atlanta used to do in the late 70's and 80's and it's called Ultimate Album Side.

Close. It was 'The Perfect Album Side.' I am proud to say I won that particular contest......twice!

Err, okay, one time it was with friends from the same Dominos Pizza store. We all conspired to come up with a 'perfect remake' album side (i.e., all cover songs) and on the night, we delivered it to the deejay -- Willard -- complete with a pizza made to his specs...since a little bribery never hurts. The song titles, in his words, "sproinged out, they're on springs!"

And I don't remember any of the songs. From either win. :(

Basically, you pick your favorite 6 songs that you would love to hear on an album side (I Know this is the cd age, but play along). Today you can pick your 6 favorite songs period. In the future, I will give you genres to choose your favorite 6 songs from.

In the original contest, you were supposed to pick songs that not only were your favorites, but also flowed really well as an album side. Laying down 6 songs that you like is pretty easy....but also consider the flow and the mix.

I'm gonna have to think about it a bit longer for that reason. :)

Great thread topic, though! Those were the 'good ol' days' of Atlanta radio, and I was proud to count Willard as a friend. He was amazingly cool and one of the finest deejays ever in the Southeast. They simply don't make 'em like they used to.

Well...let me see

1. Eyes of a Stranger-Queensryche
2. Stone in Love- Journey
3. Point of No Return- Kansas
4. 10,000 Lovers- TNT
5. Wild Side- Motley Crue

I know, I know it is all over the place and there are tons of other songs that I could pick. Maybe I should bust out my old mix tapes now, anyone still have them?!?!?! Maybe a boom box:lol:

Close. It was 'The Perfect Album Side.' I am proud to say I won that particular contest......twice!

Err, okay, one time it was with friends from the same Dominos Pizza store. We all conspired to come up with a 'perfect remake' album side (i.e., all cover songs) and on the night, we delivered it to the deejay -- Willard -- complete with a pizza made to his specs...since a little bribery never hurts. The song titles, in his words, "sproinged out, they're on springs!"

And I don't remember any of the songs. From either win. :(

In the original contest, you were supposed to pick songs that not only were your favorites, but also flowed really well as an album side. Laying down 6 songs that you like is pretty easy....but also consider the flow and the mix.

I'm gonna have to think about it a bit longer for that reason. :)

Great thread topic, though! Those were the 'good ol' days' of Atlanta radio, and I was proud to count Willard as a friend. He was amazingly cool and one of the finest deejays ever in the Southeast. They simply don't make 'em like they used to.
Cool that someone else remembers this from back when 96 Rock ruled. I didn;t want to totally infringe on their idea so I changed the title slightly. I will add genres and country exclusive lists in the future to make a better flow.

I see alot of Queensryche and surprisingly a good amount of Journey tunes. I wish that Dream Theater would cover an entire Journey album for their bootleg series like they have so many other bands. :headbang:

~Brian~

that would be cool dude! How about them covering either the Escape or Frontiers records??