Ulver what are they?

Bergtatt is a nice listen, but it's really short. There are some parts that are a bit dull. Worth it probably just for the first song and the vocals. If you liked Opeth's Morningrise, you'll like Bergtatt. Nattens Madrigal is okay. The production is tough on the ears, but there are some good things. It does have the happiest black metal song ever though.

Okcham said:
They started off as a boring BM band and evolved into a boring electronic jazz thing.

Is that the kind of criteria you use to judge a band's worth? Just because it's not "fun" to listen to and it's not fitting to throw it on as background noise at some moronic party? The word "boring" is in no way a measure of quality and quite frankly I'm getting sick and tired of the uneducated know-nothings on this forum referring to bands as boring without providing clear reasons behind why they think a band sucks.

Maybe it's just their opinion... They doesn't always have to be completely justified, you know. For instance, I really have no iea why I despise jazz music, but I still do. I really, really, really do.

Crimson Velvet said:
Maybe it's just their opinion... They doesn't always have to be completely justified, you know. For instance, I really have no iea why I despise jazz music, but I still do. I really, really, really do.

That's understandable and I know Okham was merely stating an opinion and not presenting it as fact. I just wanted to address a larger issue that really annoys me: There's a few posters here who spout off their opinions as fact yet never provide any reasoning behind why such and such a band sucks. The worst part is, the people guilty of this have no clue what they're talking about. They're beer-swilling, base-minded idiots who wouldn't be able to tell the difference between sonata form and a fucking pop song. So there you have it...fucking metal retards. [/End of Rant]

Okcham said:
I'm really sick of people spouting this meaningless artfag rhetoric all the time in GMD.

And like I explained before, I'm sick of people passing off subjective terminology as coherent, qualitative judgement.

Okcham said:
There's nothing wrong with a critique being succinct and coherent. I find the "intellectual" metal nerds don't have a clue what they're talking about more often then not, they just try to hide that behind layers of rhetoric.

ANUS! :tickled:

But maybe we shouldn't get into a discussion about that again.

i'm surprised you all are so quick to take sides on the touchy subject of black metal.

i dont like band A. you don't like band B. who gives a flying fuck. seriously... the guy wants recommendations. if yours are different than mine, then good. he can read through and see who he agrees more with and buy what albums he thinks he wants. then he'll be another BM fan, whether he agrees with you, me, or nobody... thats the point..... yes?

Crimson Velvet said:
ANUS! :tickled:

But maybe we shouldn't get into a discussion about that again.

Most anus-bashing comes from kiddos who see other people doing it and want to look cool. why not have a discussion?

BikerMiceFromMars said:
Most anus-bashing comes from kiddos who see other people doing it and want to look cool. why not have a discussion?

Most probably because Guardian of Darkness would close this thread before we could finish it.

But the real reason I dislike ANUS, is because I've read quite a few of the discussions on the boards there, and it's obvious that most of the people there are quite immature. I don't have anything against Prozak, he seems like an intelligent enough fellow, although I feel that he gives Ildjarn much more praise than what he deserves. He also have a way of combining music theory with verbal masturbation that some times make no sense.

Okcham said:
There's nothing wrong with a critique being succinct and coherent. I find the "intellectual" metal nerds don't have a clue what they're talking about more often then not, they just try to hide that behind layers of rhetoric.

That's true but I think I'm educated about music to the point where my criticisms go beyond mere rhetoric. It's not pretentious to conceptualize about music. It's inevitable that people interpret experience and give it meaning. I just think some interpretations are more valid than others. BTW, I do not align myself with the ANUS guys...well maybe on some things but I think whatever psuedo-intellectual does the reviews at ANUS is merely fellating himself while he looks up words in his thesaurus so he can pass himself off as some kind of authority on aesthetics and music.

Okcham said:

Voice of reason.

Crimson Velvet said:
Most probably because Guardian of Darkness would close this thread before we could finish it.

But the real reason I dislike ANUS, is because I've read quite a few of the discussions on the boards there, and it's obvious that most of the people there are quite immature. I don't have anything against Prozak, he seems like an intelligent enough fellow, although I feel that he gives Ildjarn much more praise than what he deserves. He also have a way of combining music theory with verbal masturbation that some times make no sense.

Agreed.

Ulver- These guys tend to stay pretty consisant in value. Everything from their most necro release to their most ambient works are very good, but none of them are really brillant. If you're looking for black metal in perticular then you can't go wrong with "Bergtatt" or "Natten's Madrigal".

Satyricon- "Dark Medieval Times" is their best work. "Shadowthrone" and "Nemisis Devina" are very good as well. The newer albums are horrid.

Woods of Ypres- Haven't heard their new album, but their demo is very good. However I would suggest Agalloch's "The Mantle" and "Pale Folklore" for simlair but far superior music.

Mayhem- "Live in Leipzig" is basically all you need by this band. It grasps cruel, harsh naure of this band better then any of their other recordings did.

Dissection- "The Storm of the Lights Bane" easily. Brillant songwriting, awesome melodies, great lyrics, awesome drumming... one of the best BM releases there is...

Borknagar- The Olden Domain

Thorns- The split with Emperor is their best work. Unsually slow black metal, with a very dark and mechanical nature. The full length is worth getting too...

Darkthrone- "Transilvanian Hunger" is the definitive minimalist black metal album. Very cold, distant and somewhat empty. "A Blaze in the Northern Sky" and "Souldside Journey" are very good as well. Their later material is hit and miss, though these days they pretty much always seem to miss, though I haven't heard there new one yet......

Jean-Pierre said:
You're christing the first Ulver abominations but you blast Darkthrone?
Yeah what a funny thing to do, since I like Ulver and dislike Darkthrone. You might even say we hold the opposite opinions on both bands! How very strange!

I think the reviews on anus.com are great, obviously quite different from others out there. Their clones though, ugh. Anus reviews actually make sense, if you can decipher them. I've seen a lot of their clones just grab a thesaurus and play switch-a-roo, and it shows.

Im a big fan of Ulver. Trickster-G is one of my favorite vocalists. His clean voice can really soar. Check out "The Sham Mirrors" by Arcturus for some of his best performance. Perdition City is my favorite Ulver album.

I think anyone who liked Bergtatt would really dig The Mantle by Agalloch. Another terrific singer in that band also. This is the best "folk metal" album out there in my opinion.