UM Staff Picks of 2004

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Hey everyone. The UM Staff Picks have been officially posted here. Feel free to peruse them, and use this space for agreement or disagreement. Updates will occur a few times; so, don't worry if some UM staff members haven't contributed yet...they probably will soon!

:wave:

Generally pretty awful. Some cool picks though.

Oh and no one had the new Sunn O))), the new Aarni, the new Velvet Cacoon, the new Ayreon, or anything. That's sad.

seems everybody likes isis, thats the only one i would say that was pretty damn good out of that list...wolf album wasnt bad, but its to generic sounds like all there other stuff. the others...dont even wanna start with them, too much typing.

While in my opinion not having that Velvet Cacoon album is a stroke in y'alls favor, you don't have the new Esoteric or Graveland, only one person has the new DSO, and while I strongly doubt that any of y'all have ever heard of these guys, you don't have the new Crimson Massacre demo on your list either.

Cynical said:
While in my opinion not having that Velvet Cacoon album is a stroke in y'alls favor, you don't have the new Esoteric or Graveland, only one person has the new DSO, and while I strongly doubt that any of y'all have ever heard of these guys, you don't have the new Crimson Massacre demo on your list either.
You must be from the Houston area, as I've never heard anyone mention Crimson Massacre before. I'm friends with Scott and James (drummer and guitarist respectively), both very intelligent and genuinely nice fellows.

For anyone who doesn't know, Crimson Massacre plays a very cerebral, visceral style of death metal sounding closest to a mixture of Bach and Acerbus than anything. I can't wait for their upcoming full-length.

Astral Poetry said:
For anyone who doesn't know, Crimson Massacre plays a very cerebral, visceral style of death metal sounding closest to a mixture of Bach and Acerbus than anything. I can't wait for their upcoming full-length.

I might look em up.

Astral Poetry said:
You must be from the Houston area, as I've never heard anyone mention Crimson Massacre before. I'm friends with Scott and James (drummer and guitarist respectively), both very intelligent and genuinely nice fellows.

I used to live in Conroe (and am actually there at the moment for christmas break), but when I first heard of them and got their demo, I was at college in Richardson (which is just north of Dallas).

I've reviewed the promo at http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=62565 (I'm Cynical); James himself (I emailed the review to him before I posted it) said that it was the best review of it to date that he's read. My review is much more accurate than the one above mine; pay more attenention to it. :p

I remember reading your reviews of Crimson Massacre and Averse Sefira, thinking you must be from Texas as both bands are the real treasures of the region, so to speak.

Have you ever seen them live? It's were they really come through at their most aggressive. I've had the oportunity to see them live twice and they're easily the best live metal band I've seen.

Astral Poetry said:
Have you ever seen them live? It's were they really come through at their most aggressive. I've had the oportunity to see them live twice and they're easily the best live metal band I've seen.
I saw them live in Houston with a metric assload of other bands, the only other one of whom I can remember is Bahimiron. That's the reason that I'm so fucking excited about "Tetragrammatical Astygmata" to the point where I'm checking their website twice a week or so for new mp3s.

Ahhh, I was at that show as well. Can't say I enjoyed anyone else besides Crimson Massacre and Averse Sefira too much, but it was still a very awesome show. I ended up talking with Prozak in between each set. He's a really great guy, quite funny at shows.

First mention of COnroe I've seen. I currently live in Conroe (or The Woodlands). Went to school in Huntsville.

Cool, I guess.

Well, technically, I live half-way between Cut 'n Shoot and Grangerland; but that's basically within spitting distance of Conroe, anyways.

Astral Poetry said:
I ended up talking with Prozak in between each set. He's a really great guy, quite funny at shows.
Oh really? He's someone I'd be interesting in meeting someday.

Yeah, he's a Nihilist and I'm a Muslim. He listens to his stuff and I like Mandy Moore. But you know what? We have similar aims, and I'd like to discuss metal and its place in the realm of sophisticated music with him.

I'll also be checking out Crimson Massacre, because I was surprised by Averse Sefira when they were recommended.