Hate Forest - Battlefields
Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Into Eternity – Buried in Oblivion
Mastodon - Leviathan

A whole lot of those I have not heard.

[/sterile contribution]

No Graveland? No Mar de Grises?

I need to hear Anata, especially if they can stand alongside The Chasm and Arghoslent.

Comparing the UM Staff list to the RC Staff list makes me think the UM staff might be a little younger . . . or maybe just not so enthusiastic about some of the more "traditional" stuff.

Nate The Great said:
Comparing the UM Staff list to the RC Staff list makes me think the UM staff might be a little younger . . . or maybe just not so enthusiastic about some of the more "traditional" stuff.
Or maybe they're on Relapse's payroll...just kidding as that label did own 2004, at least in terms of widespread attention...

Demonspell said:
Or maybe they're on Relapse's payroll
You know it's true. :p

@Russell - what the hell kind of stuff do you listen to? I've *heard* of three bands in your list. Are they even all metal releases you goddamn freak?! :loco:

I suppose the closest I would get to in those lists is somewhere between Rodrigo and Opeth17. And even then, maybe.

I concur with J - not one single mention of Mar de Grises???? It was only the greatest debut of 2004!

JayKeeley said:
@Russell - what the hell kind of stuff do you listen to? I've *heard* of three bands in your list. Are they even all metal releases you goddamn freak?! :loco:

:p All but 3 are metal releases:

1.Shade Empire – Sinthetic

Finnish contemporary symphonic metal. A mix of death and black with insanely catchy hooks and damn effective modern keyboards. Very cool..

2.Envy – All the Footprints You’ve Ever Left and the Fear Expecting Ahead

Japanese Emo-hardcore. Check out "A Dead Sinking Story" for their best album IMO (this one is wicked as well tho..). As far as I'm cocnerned this is about as great as screamo gets, quite different to the US stuff, but abolutely amazing. Well worth checking out even for those who aren't fans of the genre. The music is dripping with emotion, despite the language barrier.

3.Thee Maldoror Kollective – A Clockwork Highway

Kickass mixture between Isis-style noisecore, ambient and industrial. Kind of ;) Lots of samples, very well done, cold, cynical and very atmospheric. The concept and samples make this pretty much the musical version of a contemporary zombie flick, but waaay better than that :)

4.Necrophagia – Goblins Be Thine

More horror metal :D Cheesy, but I'm a complete sucker for it ;)

5.Ewigkeit – Radio Ixtlan

A mixture of space-rock and death metal (ish). It's atmospheric and memorable, and fairly unusual. Quite eclectic too!

6.Void of Silence – Human Antithesis

'cmon, you must have heard this one? :p

7.Persephone – Truth Inside the Shades

Really good, heavy progressive metal. Death/black influences with insane guitar and keyboard solos and well written songs.

8.Humanity – When Silence Calls

Kind of like a mixture of doom, prog and thrash, with clean vocals. A slow grower, but worth checking out..

9.Keiichi Suzuki – Zatoichi OST

Soundtrack to Takeshi Kitano's film :) I've listened to it so much this year I thought it would be wrong not to put it on... A mix of really dark electronica and classical Japanese music, with some western crossover. The film's great too...

10.The Dead Texan – The Dead Texan

Kind of like Ulver in their most ambient film-score moods. A bit like Lykantropen, but not really..

:D Go on, check some out and let me know what you think. A few of them are a tad obscure, I admit, but I've enjoyed all ofthem a lot this year, and I'm a bit behind on the major and hyped releases of this year...

:wave:

I liked that Void of Silence and Thee Maldoror Kollective. Necrophagia is cheesy fun, I agree.

Ewighet and Humanity sound interesting.

Shade Empire = Symphonic Metal from Finland? :erk: *runs away and hides*

Russell said:
10.The Dead Texan – The Dead Texan

Kind of like Ulver in their most ambient film-score moods. A bit like Lykantropen, but not really.
...? *rubs hands together*

haha, I just realized I balked at spending $25 for the limited edition of Perdition City, but spent $130 on the Trilogie an hour ago. Whoops.

One Inch Man said:
...? *rubs hands together*

haha, I just realized I balked at spending $25 for the limited edition of Perdition City, but spent $130 on the Trilogie an hour ago. Whoops.

:tickled: But you have the trilogie? I still need to find me a copy of that, then my Ulver collection will be complete. Once I've got the Mysticum split as well ;)

Yeah I don't have that split release and... I think that's all I'm missing, other than different versions of various releases. Hopefully the Trilogie will show up and I can look at it once, put it in a box, and never take it out again. :tickled:

"Well I've got some news for you motherfucker,
there's a new man in town that isn't any sucker!"

I'm really not a big fan of Souza's vocal delivery and lyrics.

You put your faith in christianity
I put mine in my artillery
My M-16 my lord and saviour
Christ never done me a motherfucking favour

Great at times IMO.