UM Staff Picks of 2004

What do you mean, I don’t believe in god?
I talk to him every day.
What do you mean, I don’t support your system?
I go to court when I have to.
What do you mean, I can’t get to work on time?
I got nothing better to do
And, what do you mean, I don’t pay my bills?
Why do you think I’m broke? huh?

:kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

There's a lot wrong with being stuck in 1986, this is not one such reason.

One Inch Man said:
What do you mean, I don’t believe in god?
I talk to him every day.
What do you mean, I don’t support your system?
I go to court when I have to.
What do you mean, I can’t get to work on time?
I got nothing better to do
And, what do you mean, I don’t pay my bills?
Why do you think I’m broke? huh?

There's a lot wrong with being stuck in 1986, this is not one such reason.
:lol:

What band is that? Manticora?

Are you fuckers serious!? It's Megadeth PEACE FUCKING SELLS RRRRRRRAAAAAAAAARRRRR!!!!!!!!

mustaine was never a great lyricist in terms of poetics, BUT almost all his lyrics are quite fun and very headbangworthy

"Peace Sells" is like THE metal anthem. I mean, not knowing that song is like not knowing "War Pigs", "Seek and Destroy", or "Number of the Beast".

These are all songs that should be recognized on the first note played.

Even MTV used to use the opening notes of Peace Sells for one of their commercial things.

Heh, yeah–and I bet that REALLY pisses Mustaine off.

The only thing wrong with being stuck in 1986 is that I might not exist yet. Unless it's after July, in which case I do exist but I can't masturbate yet, thus there's no point. Apart from that, FUCK OFF NOWADAYS EVERYTHING.

And Tempo has some really good lyrics. Both good in the "Bwahahahahah, that rules" sense ("I'm no patriot, just a hate-riot!" and the "Whoah, awesome" sense ("PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION!"). Regardless, though, lyrics get pushed way down in terms of importance when you have sections like PRAY! FOR ALL OF THOSE IN PAIN! BANG YOUR FUCKING HEAD! (Best riff of 2004 right there.)

As someone in the GMD quite rightly pointed out, the inclusions of albums on those lists is more likely to be down to which albums we have had the opportunity to hear all the way through rather than exclusions due to personal taste. My choices in particular have been limited to what has been sent to me for review, since I've spent most of this year either paying off debt or jobless... for instance, I'm pretty sure that Isis - Panopticon, Anaal Nathrakh's new album, Watchmaker's Kill.Fucking.Everything, Neurosis - The Eye Of Every Storm and several other albums would have been on my list, had I been able to get hold of them.

Pyrus said:
Heh, yeah–and I bet that REALLY pisses Mustaine off.

The only thing wrong with being stuck in 1986 is that I might not exist yet. Unless it's after July, in which case I do exist but I can't masturbate yet, thus there's no point. Apart from that, FUCK OFF NOWADAYS EVERYTHING.

Fuck, I thought you were in your early 20s or something, but I'm actually older than you (if only by four months, but still).

JayKeeley said:
Actually, there's also "Under Pressure", but in your case you might prefer "Ice Ice Baby". :tickled:
Yeah so I grew up listening to David Bowie from around the age of 4... but all I can think when I hear that is Ice Ice Baby. Good goat that song was such an infiltration when it came out, I mean it was EVERYWHERE. And then 6 months later everyone that just loved ol' Vanilla claimed they always hated him and he was fag etc. Fickle fuckers!

Erik said:
I think "Sign of the Cross" is clean guitar actually though some bassist will undoubtedly say LOL N00B now...
I can't remember the details when I saw them live, and I don't own the Rock in Rio DVD, but the intro may have been backing track with no lights and lots of dry ice. "The Clansman" played live is easy to remember because he plays an acoustic bass fixed to a stand.

One Inch Man said:
Yeah so I grew up listening to David Bowie from around the age of 4... but all I can think when I hear that is Ice Ice Baby. Good goat that song was such an infiltration when it came out, I mean it was EVERYWHERE. And then 6 months later everyone that just loved ol' Vanilla claimed they always hated him and he was fag etc. Fickle fuckers!
Well, he lied about being from the 'hood. He was just a middle-class white guy from the 'burbs. And then when confronted, he had that meltdown on MTV and took a baseball bat to the studio. :tickled:

I think when Eminem came out, all the gangsta black people did a background check on him to make sure he eally was 'street worthy' this time. They weren't going to make that mistake twice. :loco: