UM Staff Picks of 2004

JayKeeley said:
Well, he lied about being from the 'hood. He was just a middle-class white guy from the 'burbs. And then when confronted, he had that meltdown on MTV and took a baseball bat to the studio. :tickled:

I think when Eminem came out, all the gangsta black people did a background check on him to make sure he eally was 'street worthy' this time. They weren't going to make that mistake twice. :loco:
the whole rap "street cred" thing is bullshit...take Ice Cube, he's got a fucking technical degree for pete's sake.

JayKeeley said:
Well, he lied about being from the 'hood. He was just a middle-class white guy from the 'burbs. And then when confronted, he had that meltdown on MTV and took a baseball bat to the studio. :tickled:

I think when Eminem came out, all the gangsta black people did a background check on him to make sure he eally was 'street worthy' this time. They weren't going to make that mistake twice. :loco:
What the fuck? I thought the whole point of rap was to make bling bling $$$ and such. So the roots have to be true, and as long as yo' white momma broke her foot off in yo' ass a few times, then you're cleared to go on Cribs and show your gold plated cars and toofus?

I never knew about Vaniller freaking out on MTV, in fact the first time I saw the Ice Ice Video was just a few years ago on Beavis and Butthead.

But what about the Beastie Boys? They were mid-upper class white boys and nobody challenged their "street cred" (whatever the fuck that is supposed to mean). Maybe because they actually make decent and clever music, or the niggas don't listen to them anyhow. I don't keep up with the rap kingdom.

Niggerz
Bitches
Tacos
Nachos
Bitches
Shovels
Katatonia
Bitches
Bentley
Platinum
Bitches
Whores
Bitches
Nachos
etc.

PS: Threadjacks still make me laugh, this board could be world champions at Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

I don't listen to ANY rap at all but I do read alot of music news and record guides and such. Rap is a hilarious thing to read about because its all so ridiculous (almost as ridiculous as lots of metal :)). And it's hipster wannabes like Rolling Stone who make it worse by promulgating the bullshit that rap "is CNN for black people," or that hip-hop is a "culture."

Beastie Boys are from the "old school" - they were on Def Jam, same label as LL Cool J, Public Enemy, and Slayer. Heh, remember when Kerry King did the "No Sleep 'till Brooklyn" guitar solo - I think he appeared in the video too. He had some hair then.

I don't really know how it works but I think street cred in rap = rags to riches. Vanilla Ice was riding Ducati bikes well before his single broke. Then he just bought a few more. He even did a movie!

cool_as_ice.jpg

<<And it's hipster wannabes like Rolling Stone who make it worse by promulgating the bullshit that rap "is CNN for black people,">>

Not to sound racist (or politically correct, cultural sensitivity can be a real bitch), but I always thought that quote might be insulting to his own core audience, with the hidden implication that they don't have the attention span necessary to follow a news broadcast...

JayKeeley said:
He even did a movie!
Cool as Ice. my roomate has the bootleg DVD from malaysia or whatever. its one of the funniest 'accidentally' funny movies ive ever seen. you can get it for like $5 on ebay. its so worth it.

How do you melt a girl's heart of stone? Just add ICE.