UMOS Interest in 80's Rock

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
It's great to see that there is more people with some interest in 80's rock. It used to be Trixx, me and Ted. Well, Ted's gone and Trixx stops by on occasion, not nearly enough if you ask me, so I had to jump on this while there's interest. I don't know how many of the members recmember RIP Magazine? I recently covered Life on Planet Rock by Lonn Friend, who used to be the editor of RIP Magazine. Probably the best magazine that I have ever read! any how you can read that here: http://www.pivotalalliance.com/webzine/reviews.php?subaction=showfull&id=1163135135&archive=&start_from=&ucat=2
Also there are a few bands that never really "made it" during the 80's "hair metal" saturation of the market.
Sleeze Beez-these guys actually made it on dial MTV, remember that show?
The Electric Boys-one of the first bands that Bob Rock worked with...You might recall the song "Lips and Hips?!" Or perhaps not...
War Babies-There's a story about these guys getting together with Paul Stanley of KISS poolside in Seattle (poolside in fucking Seattle?!) to write two songs that eventually made the record.
Love On Ice-these guys were based out of Portland Oregon has a kinda Jane's Addiction thing going, but were more rockin' that Jane's. They also did a killer track that made onto the Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey soundtrack.
The Scream-You might know that this band features half of Racer X being fronted by Joih Corabi, who later went on to front Motley Crue. A fanstatic band that more in common with Aerosmth than glam, an underrated band that never got it due. The bass player John Aldrete is still a member of Racer X whne he's not busy with The Mars Volta.
Junkyard-Straight forward rock with a kind of country twsit to them, I think it was their singer that said once said they sounded like The Rolling Stones, meets ZZ Top, meets George Jones...

The Electric Boys-one of the first bands that Bob Rock worked with...You might recall the song "Lips and Hips?!" Or perhaps not...

This song was on Planet Rock radio the other day. I'd never heard it before and actually wondered if the DJ had got the band name confused with Electric Angels but I guess not :)
Not from the 80s but very much in that style are Gotthard ( http://www.gotthard.com ) are a great european rock band that I don't think I've ever seen mentioned on this board before and also Wig Wam (although they might be a little cheesey for some tastes) who were the norweigan entry for the eurovision song contest in 2005 http://www.wigwam.no/

Here's a few honorable mentions of a few bands that never really "made it" during the 80's IMO.

Bad 4 Good - Great band of kids courtesy of Steve Vai
Child's Play - Good Ol' Rock and Roll
Cold Sweat - Fallout band from Keel break-up
Dirty Looks - Great AC/DC sounding band especially "Turn of The Screw"
EZO - Gene Simmons' version of Loudness
Hardline - Hear what Neil Schon can do out from under Journey.
Julliet - The redone Joe Cocker "You Can Leave Your Hat On" highlight here!
King Kobra - Carmine Appice Project
Love/Hate - These guys love the ganja!
Saints and Sinners - Great Hard Rock, with production help of Aldo Nova and Bon Jovi
Salty Dog - Some of the the good ones don't live long. Only recorded one album
Sweet F.A. - I think they got the name from the Sweet song of the same name
Tora Tora - Wiiiiilllllld America!
Valentine - Great one Album band much like Hardline and King Kobra
Widowmaker - Dee Snider's best effort IMO much better than "Sister"
Wildside - Awesome album, High Energy, Edgy adrenaline, I love this one!

:headbang:

It seems to me that he's pulling your leg more than anything else... :D

Haha, well...not really ... Sixx is right when noting I'm not a fan and I in fact should keep my opinion out of any GnR threads... Still , mostly it's stronger than myselve...:lol:

Haha, well...not really ... Sixx is right when noting I'm not a fan and I in fact should keep my opinion out of any GnR threads... Still , mostly it's stronger than myselve...:lol:

I know the feeling...that's why I hadn't posted on his thread until now :heh:

And that is fine there are some rediculous metal acts that you and others like that I find horrible. You just can't deny the influence that Guns N Roses has had on music. Like it or not.

You just can't deny the influence that Guns N Roses has had on music. Like it or not.
Don't fully agree on that; They did have a very big impact on the 80's music industry and some very big hits in the 80's. But as far as being an influence I'm not that sure. They already had a very "classic" rock-sound, not really something new. Don't see too many bands that are heavely influences by GnR these days..In fact I think they were a bit the last breath of the late 80's,early 90's hair-glam-sleeze-rock whatever you call that scene, and that scene blew up when GnR started messing up...I saw them live in their highdays but if it weren't for the background vocalists this would have been a disaster. Vocals are discussable; You have to love the vocals but live it sounded much worse than on recordings.Solo-guitar play from Slash was beneath any reasonable standard, his riffs are killers though. Could be they were drunk/stoned at the time when I saw them, but that's no excuse for lifting 200 bucks out me and my girlfriends pockets...That said my big problem with GnR even isn't really the music, but the attitude; it simply isn't what I think to be "Metal"... Hope you and your kid won't be waiting 2 to 4 hours to get to see GnR, just becouse Axl thinks it's cool to keep fans waiting, and they allways seem to swallow it so...

I would have killed to see them back in the day, I still think the illusion albums are great, and the Velvet Revolver album weren't to bad either imo.
Would I kill to see Axl performing with another band and call themselves G'N'R? Defenatly not, even if they perform all the G'N'R songs, just wouldn't be right.
On the topic, I also remember a lot of one-hit-wonder 80's rock bands that came and went, quicker than we could remember their names, Warrant, Quireboys, Nelson etc.

Don't fully agree on that; They did have a very big impact on the 80's music industry and some very big hits in the 80's. But as far as being an influence I'm not that sure. They already had a very "classic" rock-sound, not really something new. Don't see too many bands that are heavely influences by GnR these days..

To add some fuel in here I agree with carnut. I use to have their albums and I grew bored of the band and sold them.

I won't discuss the influence of a band like KISS or even Motley Crue. As for GNR I will say that they were relevant to music and industry at a point in time (very different IMO as being influential), but they're not relevant anymore.

To add some fuel in here I agree with carnut. I use to have their albums and I grew bored of the band and sold them.

I won't discuss the influence of a band like KISS or even Motley Crue. As for GNR I will say that they were relevant to music and industry at a point in time (very different IMO as being influential), but they're not relevant anymore.

I didn't think you have to "hear" the influence of a band in another band, I certainly don't "hear"The Who in KISS and that's one of Gene's favorite bands. Just like I don't "hear" classic" Guns 'n Roses in Avenged Sevenfold and they point to GNR as a major influence!
So there is a hole the size of a shotgun blast in that theory...
No I wouldn't say that the NU-GNR has influenced anyone, hell they haven't even issued any music. Just because you're not a fan don't take anything away from what ANY band has accomplished after all just how many records
have they sold? Surely some of the people that bought the records were musicians and what they heard on the records directly influenced them. Be it in attitude, be it the music or whatever...

Just because you're not a fan don't take anything away from what ANY band has accomplished after all just how many records
have they sold?

Are you being serious? You are measuring a band in ROCK/METAL for the amount of sellings?

I'm dissapointed Sixxi, that's a measure for pop or rap, not for true music :erk:

Never got the whole GnR thing myself, maybe they just werent fast enough for me when they hit. By that stage, I was really into thrash and death but I always loved my classic metal. GnR main fanbase appeared to be mainly girls or bogans/rednecks.

The whole GnR period was a kinda sad time, as it was the death of the original Glam scene and the sinking of metals popularity in general. I'm sure they've influenced other artists but I wouldnt count Avenge Sevenfold as metal.