UMOS Interest in 80's Rock

Are you being serious? You are measuring a band in ROCK/METAL for the amount of sellings?

I'm dissapointed Sixxi, that's a measure for pop or rap, not for true music :erk:

I'm just pointing out their mass appeal. And that translates into records sold. Last time I checked musicians see their craft as their means of making a living, this can't be a surprise to you now could it?! Would it have made a difference if the we were talking about Black Sabbath selling records? AC/DC?! Iron Maiden?! They have all had their success.

I didn't mind their first album. Had a copy of it on cassette somewhere.

That was a great one. I have a cassette of that laying around somewhere. I have to grab a cd of that one. Ron Young signed on as singer of Manic Eden, which was basically the late 80's early 90's Whitesnake band without Coverdale.
I remember buying this disc as an import, as it was only avilable overseas. After busting it open and tearing off the OBI, I popped the disc in and then heard why...

Sleeze Beez rock! About Valentine (I'm a fan of them too, great album!), I was very pleasantly surprised the other night when I happened to catch that movie "Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead" which I hadn't seen in over 10 years, and the Valentine song "Runnin' On Luck Again" (my fave by them) started crankin' in one scene!!! ROCKIN!

I started making a list of AOR, glam & hair bands then from that era that I love but it started getting ridiculous, I'll get back to you.. haha.

thats my favorite genre. i'm just gonna list some bands that i didn't see listed already.

babylon a.d.
baton rouge
circus of power
finster baby
flies on fire
jetboy
l.a. guns
southgang
slik toxik
WWIII
lord tracy
shotgun messiah
soul kitchen
mama's boys
fastway
badlands
lynch mob
skew siskin
two bit thief
bad romance
bad english
kiss of the gypsy
kix
little angels
lizzy borden
johnny law
johnny crash
salty dog
rock city angels
roxx gang
giant
mcqueen street
every mother's nightmare
roxy blue
slammin' glady's
bang tango
d.a.d.
tall stories

Would it have made a difference if the we were talking about Black Sabbath selling records? AC/DC?! Iron Maiden?! They have all had their success.

I disagree those bands made their cult status way before become best-sellers (some albums). And speaking of Maiden they are selling a lot these days, but to me (and yes the rest of you can hang me out to dry) they are not relevant anymore.

So relevanced and importance are not going hand in hand with selling or influence IMO. I guess we are not going to reach an agreement on this matter, so let's leave it this way.:)

What the heck, I'll jump in on the Guns and Roses thing here....

I remember when I heard Appetite for Destruction the first time...I thought it was brilliant. Now, like Carnut I am much more metal than I am "rock," but over the years I've had my Aerosmith phases or whatever. In any case, I have always summed GNR up (for myself anyway) as having had one absolutely killer album - a classic. But, everything after that lacked the pizzazz of the first. To me, Use Your Illusion etc. and Appetite for Destruction sound like two very distinct and different bands. One I thought was good, the other I thought had nothing to distinguish it from any other hard rock band in the world. Sort of like the difference between Master of Puppets and Load. It would be like if Zeppelin made their first record, then went on to make a bunch of average stuff. So, perhaps the answer to the argument, in some small sense, is that Appetite for Destruction was influential, but GNR wasn't. Hard to seperate the band from the record I suppose, but hell, they managed to.......

sixxswine said:
I once heard a guy claim he was a music fan, I didn't get what he meant. I think now I do...

I always have been a music fan. It happens to be however that most of the music I like is metal. :)

I have that. It gets some spins every once in a while.
I think Ginger from The Wildhearts was involved with that band at
one point wasn't he?!

maybe but i enjoy the wildhearts as well. i also recommend the following albums that you may already have.
blue tears- self titled
jetboy- feel the shake
shark island- law of the order
circus of power- vices
bang tango- dancin on coals
tattoo rodeo- rode hard and put out wet
shotgun messiah- second coming
jetboy- lost and found
l.a. guns- vicious circle
warrant- dog eat dog
babylon a.d.- self titled

maybe but i enjoy the wildhearts as well. i also recommend the following albums that you may already have.
shark island- law of the order
circus of power- vices
bang tango- dancin on coals
l.a. guns- vicious circle
warrant- dog eat dog

I love these bands...
I just picked up The Cheap Trick record Woke Up With A Monster and damn it if the first two songs don't sound like L.A. Guns!!!!!!!!

I love these bands...
I just picked up The Cheap Trick record Woke Up With A Monster and damn it if the first two songs don't sound like L.A. Guns!!!!!!!!

i love that cheap trick album. i hate the lack of respect for jetboy on here. the stuff they recorded between 1991 and 1993 is heavy as hell and better than anything else they ever did. most of it was released on the lost and found demos cd. do you or have you heard the l.a. guns hollywood raw demo's cd. i'm thinking of getting it if the songs sound a little different than the self titled versions. it also comes with an e.p. of that has 4 songs featuring the singer between axl rose and paul black but i'm not sure if it's any good

also check out
vain- no respect
dillinger- horses and hawgs

I do have a copy of the L.A. Guns demos, love them! I also have the Hollywood Rose demos! You know next time I'm in the big city I will have to pick up a used copy of something by Jet Boy. I just got a copy of the Bang Tango Ain't No Jive Live E.P. Import version. You can find some great deals on Out of Print stuff on Half.com.