UMOS Top Ten

KMADD said:
1. Kiss/Black Sabbath (Sorry for the tie but both bands introduced me to metal about the same time in the mid 70's)
2. Iron Maiden
3. Judas Priest
4. Slayer
5. Metallica
6. Anthrax
7. Motorhead
8. WASP
9. AC/DC (esp. Bon Scott era)
10. Van Halen (up to 1984)
Honorable mentions-Metal Church, Dokken (hahaha!), Twisted Sister, Accept, Suicidal Tendencies, Misfits, DRI , Ronnie James Dio and so on!

You will have to rank them, because they both can't get 10 points. If not I will take Kiss as your #1 and Black Sabbath as #2. Then every other band will move down a notch, dropping Van Halen off the list. Sorry, but it's the only way to make it fair to evrybody else. Remember, this is for fun and the list will just be a snapshot for this time period. Everybody's list changes from time to time. After a while we could do this again see how much it did change.:cool:

1. Queensryche
2. Led Zeppelin
3. KISS
4. Alice Cooper
5. Aerosmith
6. Blue Oyster Cult
7. Rush
8. Black Sabbath
9. Dio
10. Metallica

That was really freakin' tough!

SavaRon said:
Remember, this is for fun and the list will just be a snapshot for this time period.

That's a good way to put it -- a snapshot. I know I obsessed over it for a while before I finally just said screw it -- nobody's going to totally hold me to it.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
It is so difficult to make an actual top-10 list, especially in order. Fortunately, I was planning to do this experiment here on UMOS a few months ago and already had a rough mockup listed to start the thread (thanks, Ron, now it's your responsibility!). I do think we need to run this more than one week though. I'd give it a month. That would allow us to go in and edit our lists for the final tally (don't post new lists, just edit your first one in the thread).

Thanks, I was inspired by the whole MTV list thread. I wonder how many of those bands will be on our list.

I know it's hard to pick ten in order. I'm having ahard time with it myself! :) This just for fun and only represents this time period. One week should be enough get them in. Change them if you like, but do it by Sunday. I will start tallying the votes that day and hope to post them Sunday night or Monday!

SavaRon said:
This just for fun and only represents this time period. One week should be enough get them in. Change them if you like, but do it by Sunday. I will start tallying the votes that day and hope to post them Sunday night or Monday!
10-4! Mine are probably final anyway. Any movement would be around Priest/Maiden/Rage and it would be minimal.

SavaRon said:
You will have to rank them, because they both can't get 10 points. If not I will take Kiss as your #1 and Black Sabbath as #2. Then every other band will move down a notch, dropping Van Halen off the list. Sorry, but it's the only way to make it fair to evrybody else. Remember, this is for fun and the list will just be a snapshot for this time period. Everybody's list changes from time to time. After a while we could do this again see how much it did change.:cool:
:loco: eh fugg the rules! :)

1) Led Zeppelin

2) Jethro Tull (thank you, Wyz!)

3) Black Sabbath

4) Deep Purple

5) Iron Maiden

6) Glenn Hughes

7) Judas Priest

8) Rush

9) Jimi Hendrix

10) Pink Floyd

(honorables: Porcupine Tree, Camel, Queensryche, Motorhead, Opeth, My Dying Bride, King Crimson, Anathema, Katatonia, Savatage, Traffic, Free, the Gathering)

1. Savatage
2. Dream Theater
3. Megadeth
4. Iron Maiden
5. Metallica
6. Slayer
7. Testament
8. Flotsam & Jetsam
9. Judas Priest
10. Trouble

This was tough.:erk: I don't know how I can leave Sabbath off??? I just don't listen to them much anymore. I wanted Opeth on there too, but I just really got into them a couple years ago. Anthrax, Zeppelin, a ton of others. I definitely listen to Dream Theater the most the last few years, but I can't knock Savatage out of the #1 spot. At least not yet.

I know this is an open list pretty much, but I don't see how you can call Pink Floyd hard rock. I love floyd, probably in my top ten bands all time, but not in this catagory. It's all cool though!:cool: Whatever everybody thinks should be on there, will be!!!!

I may still edit this by Sunday.:lol:

1. Judas Priest
2. Queensrÿche
3. Thin Lizzy
4. Nevermore
5. Gamma Ray
6. Dio
7. Accept
8. Mercyful Fate
9. Black Sabbath
10. Vicious Rumors

Only 10 bands is criminal! :loco: I wish I could add Manowar, Fates Warning, Maiden, Angel Dust, Rainbow, Uriah Heep, Blue Oyster Cult, Savatage, Helloween, Psychotic Waltz, Exodus, Crimson Glory, Strapping Young Lad, Therion, Brainstorm, Evergrey, Deep Purple, King Diamond, Biomechanical, Kreator, Skyclad, Blind Guardian, Artillery, Wuthering Heights, Rush, Candlemass, Scorpions, Manilla Road...

Nice to see the Scorps making top tens!!! :headbang: Top two remain the same anything else is subject to change but I kept it OS for this poll.

1. SCORPIONS
2. Iron Maiden
3. Judas Priest
4. Megadeth
5. Death Angel
6. Dio
7. Savatage
8. Sabbath
9. Pink Floyd
10. Aerosmith

those were good choices mine was an old school list.
here's my top ten for the newer bands.
1. Enochian Crescent
2. True Black Dawn
3. Morbid Angel
4. Immortal
5. Type O Negative
6. Pantera (RIP)
7. Opeth
8. Dimmu Borgir
9. Dark Funeral
10. Between The Buried And Me (Go ahead and flame away but this band
has really impressed me with their work esp. the debut and Alaska)
I know im breaking more rules sorry Ron!

Glad to see Fates warning and Dream Theater received a little love. Prog-metal is a fairly new sub-genre, but it certainly has many fans as well as many great bands. FW and DT certainly laid the foundation as well as the standards for the sub-genre with a little help from Queensryche. While I am not the biggest fan of DT (though I do adore I&W,) their contribution to metal is pretty immense, and DT themselves list FW as an influence.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Glad to see Fates warning and Dream Theater received a little love. Prog-metal is a fairly new sub-genre, but it certainly has many fans as well as many great bands. FW and DT certainly laid the foundation as well as the standards for the sub-genre with a little help from Queensryche. While I am not the biggest fan of DT (though I do adore I&W,) their contribution to metal is pretty immense, and DT themselves list FW as an influence.
Let's not forget Rush either then ;) :headbang:

Just under the wire! Happy Hangover SavaRon! :heh:

1) Freak Kitchen
2) Symphony X
3) Iron Maiden
4) Van Halen (DLR era)
5) Scorps
6) Judas Priest
7) Rush
8) Thin Lizzy
9) AC/DC (Bon Era)
10) Riot

J-Dubya

^^^ Thanks J-Dubya! I had enough of a hangover today, so tomorrow I should be fine!:kickass: Give this a last bump for anybody else that wants to get in. I already started some of the calculating and some of the results are very interesting. Hope to have them up sometime tomorrow.