UMOS Top Ten

SoundMaster said:
Imagine going from Jon Arch, one of the greatest voices in rock history to Alder, one of the worst. :ill: :rolleyes:

Huh. Alder is probably my favorite vocalist ever. Although, Arch still ranks high, no doubt.
Different opinions I guess

SoundMaster said:
I think Alder's vocals killed their appeal to many potential fans. He's toned it down in recent years, but his terrible screeching on "Exit" and "Perfect Sym" kills what would have been classic records, IMO.

Imagine going from Jon Arch, one of the greatest voices in rock history to Alder, one of the worst. :ill: :rolleyes:

I also think that is a little harsh. I actually agree to a small amount on "No Exit" as I think both FW and Alder where trying to establish their identity with the new lineup. However, I find the vocals on PS to be excellent.

Lastly, you should check out Redemption's latest release. It features Alder on vocals, but evwen someone that doesn't like Alder era FW vocals should check it out. He really mellowed his style out and sounds better than he ever has. It isn't going to make you enjoy his FW stuff of course, but I couldn't be more serious about his change in vocal style.

Bryant

Bryant said:
I also think that is a little harsh. I actually agree to a small amount on "No Exit" as I think both FW and Alder where trying to establish their identity with the new lineup. However, I find the vocals on PS to be excellent.

Lastly, you should check out Redemption's latest release. It features Alder on vocals, but evwen someone that doesn't like Alder era FW vocals should check it out. He really mellowed his style out and sounds better than he ever has. It isn't going to make you enjoy his FW stuff of course, but I couldn't be more serious about his change in vocal style.

Bryant

Yes, it was a harsh view, but, at the time, Fates was among my fav bands (due primarily to the awesome atmosphere & vibe found on "Awaken'). So I was terribly disappointed when I first heard Alder on "Exit". I tried & tried to enjoy him, but, goddamn it, his voice then was, as Trans-Siberian stated, "like fingernails screeching across a chalkboard".

He has, of course, toned it down in recent years (as have Geddy Lee and James LaBrie, thankfully).