UMOS Top Ten

Ok, here are the results for the UMOS top ten. We had 25 people vote and a total of 89 bands nominated through-out everbody's list.

#1) Iron Maiden - 137 points with 19 votes

#2) Judas Priest - 125 points with 19 votes

#3) Black Sabbath - 76 points with 15 votes

#4) Queensryche - 55 points with 8 votes (this one shocked me a bit)

#5) Savatage - 49 points with 7 votes (didn't think they would be this high)

#6) KISS - 46 points with 5 votes

#7) Metallica - 39 points with 8 votes

#8) Motorhead - 38 points with 6 votes

#9) DIO - 37 points with 8 votes

#10) Megadeth - 35 points with 5 votes

---------------------------------------------------------

I did results up to twenty and here they are.

#11) Deep Purple - 28 points with 4 votes

#12) Thin Lizzy - 27 points with 4 votes (put them higher because of more votes)

#13) Led Zeppelin - 27 points with 3 votes

#14) Scorpions - 26 points with 5 votes

#15) Fates Warning - 26 points with 4 votes

#16) Accept - 25 points with 5 votes

#17) Slayer - 21 points with 4 votes

#18) Rush - 20 points with 5 votes

#19) Nevermore - 10 points with 3 votes

#20) AC/DC, Saxon, and Testament all tied with 19 points.

What do you all think. Maiden and Priest are the definite #1 and #2. Kind of shocked Sabbath is down to three. Queensryche at #4 with all the bashing the last 15 years is strange as well to me. Glad to see Savatage all the way up to #5 too.

The top three do not surprise me at all. In fact, those three are interchangable in such poles, usually. Those three are the living definitions of metal!

QR IS a pleasant surprise. There's generally so much hatred here for their recent releases that I thought most would shun them. Good for them!

I'm also suprised that megadeth made the top 10. They'd had a very spotty career, IMO.

Very interesting results! Queensrcyhe ranking so high tells you one thing: their early albums were groundbreaking classics, ranking so high that the latter half their career was excused.

I am so proud to see Savatage up in the top 5! They've always been ignored by the mainstream media despite the fact that they are so well respected among music fans. LONG LIVE THE MOUNTAIN KING!

Good job on the poll, Ron. :headbang:

Thanks for the poll Savaron that was fun! I was quite surprised to see the Scorps in top tens, because people always ask how can that band be my ultimate....the answer is "just like your number one is yours..."

By the look of the poll the one constant sure thing is that we all have most excellent taste in music!:kickass:

Great job Sava, a bit dissapointted with some of the bands in the top 10 but Kitty said it all above.

Hey SavaRon, great idea man, if this were an actual "poll" it wouldn't have been as fun as we'd only be able to list the number one band. I'm actually quite surprised Judas Priest got to number two, I figured a million Maiden votes and few Priest, even on the Priest boards there's undue worship of Maiden, the results are quite surprising.

Also nice to see Testament rounding out the top 20, Scorpions seemed to do better, I saw quite a few Scorpions votes, but still they made the top 20. Cool poll man.

Hey, for another fun one, I think a "Live UMOS Top Ten" would be cool too. It would be interesting to see the varied bands on that list.

SoundMaster said:
I'm also suprised that megadeth made the top 10. They'd had a very spotty career, IMO.
I disagree, they released 4 great albums thankyou! Between Megadeth and Metallica, Megadeth still make music that can be categorized as metal and IMO remain the most likely of the 2 to release an album resembling thrash. Megadeth almost deserve to be higher but as we all know, Mustaine was in Metallica and wrote on Kill 'em All! Anyway i'm starting to babble in my hungover state, so i'll shut it...

Thanks SavaRon. This was cool. :kickass:

I'll bet a lot of us can point to Kiss as the start to our hard rock journey and they still hold a bit of soft spot. That's how it is for me, anyway.

Queensryche mark the transition from teeny bop, bubble gum to more serious music for me. Rush should prolly be that band but I guess I was a little bit of a late bloomer. Even though QR has pretty much sucked for a while, albumwise, their live shows still kick some serious ass.

Thanks all. It wasn't to bad doing it. I kind of wish we had some more people vote. I think #5-10 might have been different. I'm kind of shocked there were 89 different bands all together with only 25 people taking part in it. Shows how diverse we all really are, which is cool!:headbang:

If anybody is wondering, 6 of our bands are on that MTV list. Which is why I started this thing in the first place.:cool:

Pantera didn't get one vote Wyvern, so I guess you were right about them in a way. :lol:

I thought the list was good and well represented. Good to see Accept attain a respectable 16th and Fates at 15. I wasn't surprised with Accept being so high as I have beat them into everyone's head here... ha ha ha, but FW really molded modern prog metal in a way that will never be seen by them as far as album sales/money. I am also proud to see Savatage get such high grades.
I am surprised Metal Church didn't make the top twenty. Also, I don't remember a vote for Tesla. Though they ventured into hard rock stuff, their early efforts were mind-blowing.

Bryant

Yeah, good work ol' son.
Even if i had voted it wouldnt have changed much, neither Accept or W.A.S.P. were gonna make the top 10 - where's all love for Running Wild AND Metal Church btw?

Every day my opinion of Metal Church rises. I just got the copy of their newest album and I don't think the harsh comments were warranted.

Bryant said:
Glad to see Fates warning and Dream Theater received a little love. Prog-metal is a fairly new sub-genre, but it certainly has many fans as well as many great bands. FW and DT certainly laid the foundation as well as the standards for the sub-genre with a little help from Queensryche. While I am not the biggest fan of DT (though I do adore I&W,) their contribution to metal is pretty immense, and DT themselves list FW as an influence.

Bryant

I never understood why Fates Warning were never bigger than they were. Their Arch-era material would EASILY appease to the Maiden/Priest fans, No Exit came right around the Thrash movement, and Parallels could have been a hit with both the mainstream and Metalheads alike.

Sad, really. I truly feel this band deserved so much more, and I'm not saying that 'cause they're my favorite band (though obviously they may be a little bias :Smug:)

Anyway, great poll, and that is definatly a great top 20 list.

Break Zero said:
I never understood why Fates Warning were never bigger than they were.

I think Alder's vocals killed their appeal to many potential fans. He's toned it down in recent years, but his terrible screeching on "Exit" and "Perfect Sym" kills what would have been classic records, IMO.

Imagine going from Jon Arch, one of the greatest voices in rock history to Alder, one of the worst. :ill: :rolleyes:

SoundMaster said:
I think Alder's vocals killed their appeal to many potential fans.

That's an interesting theory considering that their biggest selling album ever is "Parallels" and Alder is the singer on that one.

SoundMaster said:
Imagine going from Jon Arch, one of the greatest voices in rock history to Alder, one of the worst. :ill: :rolleyes:

Even coming from a big fan of Alder's vocal capabilities...that's kind of a harsh statement, don't you think? I've never heard one person describe him in such an extreme manner. The worst comment I've heard before that one was a 'he's okay, I guess' sort of comment.

Everyone has different tastes of course, just a stance from my way.