Underrated Albums

zinescene

Feb 11, 2002
Michigan
www.myspace.com
What are some peoples favorite albums that didn't get a lot of notariety?

I posted earlier that Black Sabbath - Sabotage was one of my favorites that didn't get a lot of love. Another was Saxon - Killing Ground. I thought Deeds of Glory was a great great song.

COBRA - "First Strike"
THE CARBURETORS - "Pain is Temporary - Glory is Forever"
AEROSMITH - "Rock in a Hard Place"
DIAMOND HEAD - "Living On...Borrowed Time"
ARWEN - "Illusions"
BOB CATLEY - "When Empires Burn"
Paul DiAnno's KILLERS - "Murder One"
James Byrd's ATLANTIS RISING - Self-titled
MOLLY HATCHET - "Devil's Canyon"
BLUE OYSTER CULT - "Heaven Forbid"
TOKYO BLADE - "Midnight Rendezvous" and "Night of the Blade"
BETO VAZQUEZ INFINITY - Self-titled
TEN - "Spellbound"
TNT - "Knights of the New Thunder"
SAXON - "Innocence is No Excuse"
GUN BARREL - "Battle Tested"
STEVE JONES - "Fire and Gasoline"
TSOL - "Strange Love"
AGATHODAIMON - "Phoenix"
TANGIER - "Four Winds"
FIFTH ANGEL - Self-titled and "Time Will Tell"
WHITFORD/ST. HOLMES - Self-titled

ARWEN - "Illusions"
James Byrd's ATLANTIS RISING - Self-titled
TEN - "Spellbound"
********WHITFORD/ST. HOLMES - Self-titled

I agree with these 4 selections....( well 5 with BOTH Fifth Angels cds, those rule! )

The Whitford/St.Holmes cd they were just talking about on The Metal Show tonight......what are the odds.....I never heard it myself, but it jumped out at me from your list

What are some peoples favorite albums that didn't get a lot of notariety?

I posted earlier that Black Sabbath - Sabotage was one of my favorites that didn't get a lot of love. Another was Saxon - Killing Ground. I thought Deeds of Glory was a great great song.

Sabotage is a fine album, but I don't like it as much as other Ozzy-era stuff. In any ways, Dio-Sabbath is the best for me.

Killing Ground is indeed an excellent album and I just love Deeds Of Glory. Rock Is Our Life is killer too (what a great riff). Killing Ground and Court Of The Crimson King are my other fave songs of the disc.

The Black Symphony - Tears of Blood
Magic Kingdom - Metallic Tragedy
Heed - The Call
Powerwolf - Bible of the Beast
Saxon - Unleash the Beast
Inmoria - Invisible Wounds

COBRA - "First Strike"
BOB CATLEY - "When Empires Burn"
Paul DiAnno's KILLERS - "Murder One"
TOKYO BLADE - "Midnight Rendezvous" and "Night of the Blade"
TEN - "Spellbound"
SAXON - "Innocence is No Excuse"
GUN BARREL - "Battle Tested"

These are all fine albums, especially KILLERS-Murder One, which is the best Paul Di'Anno work, apart from Maiden. The Saxon is surely not a classic but has some fine songs. The Gun Barrel is damn good. The 2 Fifth Angels are 80s classics.

Saxon - Unleash the Beast

I don't think is disc is underrated. It's often mentioned in their best works if I recall well. Probably you mean that it's not as highly regarded as the early 80s stuff. Well, for me, while I truly enjoy the early discs, my fave Saxon stuff is from 1995 and up.

WILDSIDE-Under The Influence

I thought that there was a lot of potential with that band. Drew Hannah had the kind of sleaze/glam vocal style that I prefer - rough but still melodic. As with many acts from that time period, the album was hit & miss overall, but I have fond memories of finding it in Camelot music when on a day trip with a buddy of mine. I remember reading an interesting interview with Wildside after the album came and went, where the band talked about how the record company stamped a pre-made image on them with a phony bio, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Annihilator - Criteria For A Black Widow
Judas Priest - Jugulator
Accept - Blood Of The Nations (Let's face it, people hate the fact that Udo isn't in the band and won't give this album a chance. Those people are also idiots.)
Crimson Glory - Astronomica (I don't really give a damn that it's Wade instead of Midnight, the music still kicks ass!)
Killers - Murder One
Pantera - Power Metal
Sanctuary - Into The Mirror Black
Nevermore - Nevermore
Sodom - M-16
Toxik - Think This
Watch Them Die - Bastard Son

Fates Warning "Inside Out"
Savatage " Wake of Magellan"
Guns N Roses "Chinese Democracy

One other thing...Dream Theater "Falling Into Obscurity??? Really???

Fates Warning "Inside Out"
Savatage " Wake of Magellan"
Guns N Roses "Chinese Democracy

One other thing...Dream Theater "Falling Into Obscurity??? Really???

Can't believe I forgot "Chinese Democracy". My album of the year a couple of years ago.

Is "Wake of Megellan" really underappreciated though? I like it. It's a good album, don't get me wrong, but it seems to be one of their more popular ones.