unique, strange or downright weird band you like

Sep 12, 2002
Visit site
So last night I was listening to my newest strange find Mutyumu http://www.myspace.com/mutyumu (they are hard to describe, japanese lyrics, female vocals, some harsh male vocals occassionally, classical/progressive/ambient infused music) , and it got me thinking that there should be a thread that people can list weird bands they like and links to samples.

My favorite of all my weird bands has to be Sopor Aeternus & the Ensemble of Shadows. I have spent hundreds on the bands special edition cds over the last few years and they were all well worth it. Now a disclaimer the "dude" is definitely odd but he composes very unique music. It's a combination of classical, renaissance, 80s new wave and even some progressive at times.
unofficial Sopor Aeternus myspace - check out the songs Dead Souls, Saltaltio Crudelitatis, and We All Have a Dog to Exercise to get a feel for the different style.

The next band is less odd but still not typical, Beirut. It started a solo project and the played all the instruments himself but he now has a band. It's pretty unique with accordian, trumpet, organ, violin, cello, etc. Very very catchy music.
www.myspace.com/beruit - check out all 3 songs, they are all great

The last band I'll list for now is H.E.R.R., they are from Netherlands and play neo-classical/neo-folk but with spoken word over it. The spoken word is usually based on old novels or history. It's definitely an acquired taste (just as the other two bands I listed are) but I find it to be really relaxing and well composed.
www.myspace.com/herrenliga - check out Den Standert Lucifers and Drowning in Showers of Glass

Grant it this is a metal message board and I love metal but sometimes I like a change. I figured I'd share some bands they people might not have heard of and hopefully someone expose me to something different too.

Beirut is great. I got into them because Jeremy Barnes from Neutral Milk Hotel did some work on one of their albums, and I have to check out anything even remotely-NMH related. But if you like Beirut, look into A Hawk and a Hacksaw. Very odd folkish/Eastern European type stuff, and the main guy from Beirut has worked with them on a release or two.

One of my all-time favorite bands is a band called of Montreal. They started off as a very Beatles-esque type band, but with their 2004 release Satanic Panic in the Attic they changed into an electronic-pop type thing. I've heard them described as The Beach Boys on ecstasy, but even that is a piss-poor description. Last year's album Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? is one of my favorite albums ever and it's very different than anything you'd normally hear discussed on this board. Their upcoming album Skeletal Lamping is honestly one of the strangest things I've ever heard. It's a very ADD album and changes musical directions very often so you're constantly interested. And hey, it's not often you get to hear an album that is, in a nutshell, about a 40-something black man who used to play in a funk band and has gone through numerous sex changes.

of Montreal brings me to the entire Elephant 6 collective. It was basically this group of bands located in Athens, GA during the 90's who were all friends, toured together, played on each other's records, demoed material with each other, etc. of Montreal, Neutral Milk Hotel, and The Apples in Stereo are some of the more well-known acts. But in the early 2000's, a few of the guys from some of the bands (NMH, of Montreal, Elf Power, etc) got together and released one of the weirdest albums I've ever heard. The band is called Major Organ and the Adding Machine, and the album is self-titled. Just plain weird psychedelic pop.

Animal Collective is interesting. I really like their album Sung Tongs and everything else I've heard from them is pretty good, but none reach the same level of trance-inducing acoustic guitar riffs, random animal noises being shouted, or psychedelia.

The Fiery Furnaces are another band I really enjoy. My favorite album from them is Blueberry Boat, and it's a non-stop musical journey of piano, guitar, and weird electronic stuff. It's pretty progressive, too, but not in the typical Rush, Yes, Genesis way.

As for metal...Gonin-Ish is very good. They're sort of like prog/death/J-Pop. Highly recommended.
Ram-Zet is a fine band.
Sigh is pretty weird, but they're fairly well-known around these parts. No need to describe them.
Contrastic was a great death/grind band from the Czech Republic. Not your typical death/grind, though. Add some loops and cowbell and you've got Contrastic.

...Pain of Salvation? :saint:

tomato1_430.jpg

LOL! Bastard! heheheheheheheheh :D

Strange bands.....Hmmm, a while ago Freak Kitchen was considered strange, but they seem to have grown their fanbase a bunch since the last couple Prog Power appearances, and are a bit more "accepted", IA's Art Metal disc with Jonas Hellborg has that "odd" quality to it in spots, other than that, there's always Frank Zappa & Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.....:headbang:

I guess you could say my most unique/odd band is

VAN CANTO
DIABLO SWING ORCHESTRA

Captain Cutthroat

Their first album is one of my favorites of this year. Awesome stuff, and its mixed by Neil Kernon.

http://www.myspace.com/captaincutthroatrocks

And I have to mention the amazing artist Mr. Doctor who put together Devil Doll. One of the greatest avant garde "bands". You can get a taste of them here -

Other ones.. .well Mr. Bungle (of course), as well as Praxis, and Night City. Basically nearly everything John Zorn. Secret Chiefs 3 are also great. I can at times appreciate Captain Beefheart. I also listen to a bit of experimental music. Admittedly, a lot of it I just hate. But there are some gems.

Last edited by a moderator:
SGM is good. Same with Tub Ring. Actually I only got into Tub Ring more recently and they are quite amazing.

I'm not sure if Estradasphere would quality for this category or not. But another fantastic band.

My favourite band in this regard are still Atrox from Norway. Especially their albums "Contentum" and "Terrestrials" feature some of the craziest/most original female vocals ever to be heard on a metal album (which also means that not everybody will like them). Music-wise, "Terrestrials" is still my favourite album, probably also their most "progressive" and original album. I also like the original cover-artwork and lyrics of their vocalist Monika Edvardsen on "Contentum", "Terrestrials" and "Orgasm" very much.

After the release of "Orgasm", Monika left the band and was replaced by a male vocalist. Recently, they've released a new album, but with the departure of Monika, my interest in this band has gone (whereas people who didn't like her voice might like the new stuff better).

Just in case anyone might be interested, you can download a few songs from their albums on their official website. Just follow this link:

http://www.atrox.no/public.aspx?pageid=38125

Wow, easy answer for me on this one: Ozric Tentacles. Spacey, bubbly synth parts, strong guitar, outstanding rhythm section, nearly all instrumental. One of the best bands I've ever heard and in fact, one of the best bands my friends had never heard BEFORE. :) For the curious, Erpland, Jurassic Shift, Arborescence, Become the Other, Strangeitude, Curious Corn and Live Underslunky are all considered classic material. Their newer CDs are a bit more electronic and a bit less 'organic,' but are still very good. They have a fairly strong metal-muzo following, as Mikael and Peter from Opeth, Mike Portnoy from DT, Devin Townsend (of, err, the other DT), Christofer Johnsson of Therion, Gregoor Vanderloo of Lemur Voice would all attest. :)

Several bands have tried to emulate Ozrics' unique sound, but the closest is probably Finland's Hidria Spacefolk.

Other non-metal bands that get me excited: Celldweller, The Cruxshadows, Abney Park, Bella Morte, The Last Dance, Emerald Rose, Ego Likeness ......