Universal Audio introduces the 1176 Collection

Ok so I'll do those plugins

1176.jpg

Ermin will do the hardware 1176 Rev A and Rev D

Lasse will do the hardware 1176 Rev F and the Distressor in 1176 mode

JonWormwood will do the IK Multimedia Black 76 and TC Powercore 24/7C

Jarkko will do the Purple Audio MC77

So we collect the different sound samples and someone or more people make a blind test package out of it? :)

i could run it throuh the prime hardware 2276 if thats of any interest. this thing is pretty cool, would it be intersting to hear that too ?

http://www.towerstudio.net/sneap/1176/Bass.zip

Ok, since I'm not sure how to proceed, here's a first one with BASS. People who can/want to compare with their hardware, the DI is included in the zip file.

All compressors share the same RATIO (20), ATTACK and RELEASE are set to the fastest values (7).
INPUT GAINS have been adjusted so that the VU needle reaches -10 GR without EVER exceeding it.
All files have been normalized to -12db RMS for the same apparent loudness.

Let me know if that's the right way to do it.

I could do Focusrite LiquidMix32 and LiquidmixHD ? Also is this gonna be a blind test to prevent any bias towards a name, or just all out?

• STELLAR 1/ US CLASSIC SOLID STATE 1
Based on a UNIVERSAL AUDIO 1176LN* mono limiting amplifier, (US) serial # 1394 (Black face, pre-Harman; a re-issue of the Urei 1176LN)

• STELLAR 2/ US CLASSIC SOLID STATE 2
Based on a UREI MODEL 1176LN* mono limiting amplifier (US) serial # 11854 (Silver face)

http://www.towerstudio.net/sneap/1176/Bass.zip

Ok, since I'm not sure how to proceed, here's a first one with BASS. People who can/want to compare with their hardware, the DI is included in the zip file.

All compressors share the same RATIO (20), ATTACK and RELEASE are set to the fastest values (7).
INPUT GAINS have been adjusted so that the VU needle reaches -10 GR without EVER exceeding it.
All files have been normalized to -12db RMS for the same apparent loudness.

Let me know if that's the right way to do it.

That seems to work! The "Waves CLA76 Blacky" was a clear winner for me. Simply because other compressors were distorting while the CLA76 Blacky sounded extremely clean.

On this topic, has anybody here built the hairball audio clones? I have been thinking about building one...

on bass i couldnt really say what i liked best tbh. really depends
on what one wants/needs.

looking forward to the transient heavy stuff, curious about the snare example! my prime is ready to go! ;-)

On this topic, has anybody here built the hairball audio clones? I have been thinking about building one...

Ive got one on the bench right now,

Cant tell you how it sounds yet, but i will be building them to order fairly soon for anyone that doesnt feel like building their own, but lets keep this thead on topic - The Big Test !

It's supposed to be distorting actually, that's what it's used for a lot, so I guess the Blacky is the less fidel to the original from the lot then :)

Ah, ok. Well I guess I'd still choose the Blacky from these options. Personally I'd still choose what sounds best to me much rather than what sounds most like the hardware unit. :)