Unless Maiden can come up with a huge surprise, I think...

The best metal album of the year? If you consider metalcore metal, Poison the Well - You Come Before You is the best. If you don't, Solefald - In Harmonia Universali is the next up.

But the real album of the year so far is The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium, but Kayo Dot might replace that if its as good as the last maudlin of the Well albums.

Soilwork - FNF would maybe get my vote, though it wasn't the album that I couldn't stop playing like Katatonia - Viva Emptiness. I haven't listened to both in a while now though.

I'm looking foward to the new My Dying Bride album :D

I agree so far I would give Evergrey the nod for album of the year. As to wheather Maiden's DOD will be any good we shall see. BW&BK have given it good but not great reviews. The other reviews I have seen have merely been a description of the music without any opnions attached.

Cheers

Esteban said:
... the album of the year goes to Evergrey - Recreation Day. What an amazing album, as usual with Evergrey it took me more than a few listens to realize how brilliant it is. Tom is one of my favorite singers, he can put so much emotion into it, and his work on this one is spectacular. The guitar riffs and solos have improved a lot (check the song Recreation Day, mind blowing) and the keys, drums and bass are really solid. God I LOVE this band, I'm not sure if they're my favorite prog band, it's them or Symphony X.

Anyway, if you haven't heard it yet, check it out....

As much as I like evergrey and symphony X, I put Pain of Salvation above them.