Unmixed stuff i need help

Darkreignofset

New Metal Member
Nov 28, 2009
heys guys, so i am in a band that plays extreme music> anyhow i got drums tracked professionally by 1. kevin talley and 2. Derek roddy. theres a song there on myspace.com/trigonaion called divergence. the drums were mixed by kevins guy i believe> scratch guitars not mixed(tracked with an enlg powerball). i have the wavs and have been messing around with them but cant quite get them as punchy as you hear on myspace> what do i do? i am using waves plugins and cubase sx3> also to throw this out there i am starting tracking real guitars soon and well, need some one to mix. any interested parties pm me and lemme know what you charge yada yada. thanks in advance guys - matt

i am using waves plugins and cubase sx3

smiling-pineapple.jpg

Why sx3? Doesn't it seem like he would have 5? Just an odd choice is all I'm saying. Maybe sx3 sounded cooler. You know cause there's an edgy letter in there. It's got the X factor.

lol, very funny doods 'embrace yourself':err: sx 3 is what i have and i am just messing around with the stuff at home, dont have the cash to get the new cubase as the bank is already broke. i am very sure kevins guy used pro tools, at least i know thats what he tracked drums into and what we will use to track the rest. i assume some good outboard gear would probably help too eh?

He's posted 9 times in the past 2 years almost. lol. Give him a break. I'm sick of seeing "senior member" guys around here jumping down everyone's throat. Sure, I understand it gets old people asking the same questions over and over, but how does that help anyone feel welcome on any forum? You can at least be nice about telling them to use the search function, and could be even nicer to just post links to threads already created.

@Darkreignofset: Please read this page as it gives some helpful pointers on doing searches throughout the forum to find what you're looking for...
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/262441-useful-links-faq-please-read.html

Despite the forum search being fixed, I still rely heavily on google searches. Sounds like you need to read up on tracking volumes and getting your mix balanced and even, and then read a lot on mastering, compression, limiting, eq, etc. The loudness or "punch" you're referring to is generally what you achieve in the mastering stage once your mix already kicks ass. Mastering gets you loudness and the volume you hear. But if your mix sucks (like drums suck, guitars are scooped, no bass in the mix, etc.) then mastering won't do much for you. Just because you have Cubase and Waves doesn't mean you will have good mixes. There are people here that create mixes with free plugins compared to some with expensive software. It's all about your ear and learning how to use what you have. I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing some training videos from this site... they are great and affordable! http://www.groove3.com/str/

He's posted 9 times in the past 2 years almost. lol. Give him a break. I'm sick of seeing "senior member" guys around here jumping down everyone's throat. Sure, I understand it gets old people asking the same questions over and over, but how does that help anyone feel welcome on any forum? You can at least be nice about telling them to use the search function, and could be even nicer to just post links to threads already created.

@Darkreignofset: Please read this page as it gives some helpful pointers on doing searches throughout the forum to find what you're looking for...
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/262441-useful-links-faq-please-read.html

Despite the forum search being fixed, I still rely heavily on google searches. Sounds like you need to read up on tracking volumes and getting your mix balanced and even, and then read a lot on mastering, compression, limiting, eq, etc. The loudness or "punch" you're referring to is generally what you achieve in the mastering stage once your mix already kicks ass. Mastering gets you loudness and the volume you hear. But if your mix sucks (like drums suck, guitars are scooped, no bass in the mix, etc.) then mastering won't do much for you. Just because you have Cubase and Waves doesn't mean you will have good mixes. There are people here that create mixes with free plugins compared to some with expensive software. It's all about your ear and learning how to use what you have. I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing some training videos from this site... they are great and affordable! http://www.groove3.com/str/

:headbang: thanks, great info