Upcoming Gigs!

As of right now....

Dragonforce - 5/11/06 @ the whiskey
Slayer, Children of Bodom - 7/22/06 @ the long beach arena

@Ambr I'm on the Strato forums too. I'll definitely be at the October show at the HOB hollywood :headbang:

Hey, NV, hope you have fun at the DF show tomorrow. Give us a review! I would have liked to see them in NY but just couldn't do back to back shows after GammaRay.

I have nothing up next 'til Sweden Rock. Too bad LePond of Sym X is sick and they had to cancel. Hope he get's better soon!

Not sure if anything else will come up before June. We'll see!

KAMELOT TO SWEDEN ROCK!

kamelot.jpg

The Norwegian fronted American band Kamelot did a highly acclaimed gig at the Sweden Rock Festival a few years ago. Since then they have released a new album - "The Black Halo". Praised in numerous reviews we can establish it as a fact that the band is going from strength to strength. Musically they meritoriously mix semi progressive hard rock with an orchestrated touch, with power metal and a slight neo classical vein.

Well, I was pretty bummed to see Symphony X was forced to cancel, but this is more than a welcomed replacement! :worship:

Hi AMBR, I just found out that Lordi has been switched to play on Sunday at Myötätuuli Rock and The 69 Eyes will play on that spot on Saturday. Not a big loss to us really, even I'd rather have seen monsters :zombie: than goths o_O

Ah well, would have been fun to see da Munstahs! But not worth buying the other ticket. We'll have a great time Sat. and check out the gothy element then have fun doing our own thing Sunday. Who knows? Maybe something cool will come up elsewhere Sunday. Don't know all that much about 69 Eyes. What can you tell me?

This trip is sooooo gonna RAWK! Yea, I'm getting psyched!

More gigs on the RFUSA plate, and they are all in July. If you are in the Maryland/Virginia/DC/whatever area on these days, please come out and support the metal underground.

July 1st: Encompass at Jaxx Nightclub in Springfield, VA. For more info go to www.encompassmusic.net or www.jaxxroxx.com! Also on July 1st, our friends in Odin's Court will be back at Dick's Halfway Inn in Rosedale, MD.

July 8th-Images Of Eden at Mac's The Club in Essex, MD. For more info go to www.imagesofeden.com or www.macstheclub.com

July 15th-Pool party with Odin's Court at guitarist Rick Pierpont's house in Stewartstown, PA. Private party by invite only! The social event of the summer!

July 22nd-Eternal Winter and Timelord at Jaxx Nightclub in Springfield, VA.

Also, there are plans in the works for us to PROBABLY, not definitely, attend PP VII this year! Just an idea, but we may be there!

The new site is coming along, we just need to put some more content up and tweak a few things. We are aiming for a June/July launch! Metal will never be the same again!

hey, as it turns out I will be in the Harrisburg PA area the week after ProgPower USA VII (Sept 18-22). So if you know of any shows during that week within an hour of Hershey/Harrisburg, let me know.

Thanks,

~Hoyt.

Hi, from Helsinki. Sweden Rock and Myötätuuli Rock were awesome! I'll be writing up some reviews in the next couple of weeks. I also have TONS of photos to share! Got to meet Tarot and Strato at Tavastia in Helsinki after MTR. Was a blast. More coming soon.....

I've sure been lazy keeping up with this forum. I've been to a ton of shows since last I posted, but let's skip to the present:

Just saw Blind Guardian and Leaves Eyes in New York and Philly. BG was awesome in both shows. I love the songs they played from the new cd A Twist In The Myth, especially the single "Fly". Hansi's voice was so strong throughout both performances. LE was ok, but seemed a bit weak and weary.

Got to see Lacuna Coil and In Flames last Friday at the Starland. First time seeing LC and they put on a damn good show. Christina's vocals were great thorughout and while I had gotten a bit sick of hearing Comalies, it was fun hearing Heaven's A Lie and other hits live for the first time. Selections from Karmacode played well live too.

Next up is Children of Bodom with Amom Amarth, Gojira and Sanctity. Looks like a lot of people I know are going, so should be a good time! :headbang:

As expected, the show was a lot of fun, though CoB seemed weary and not exactly on the top of their games. Still, they cranked it up midway through and it was a decent performance.
:headbang:

Saw soooo many friends there, it was worth it.
Here's a review with photos.

Gonna catch a Prog festival in Cebu City, Philippines in January. Reportedly, Phil-Prog up and comers, Neruda, will be the headliners. The reason I say "reportedly" is that the scene is in such an infancy, that one does not know who will be playing until you pay the 100 pesos.

Peace,
Ray C.

Hmm... the next show I go to will be tomorrow night (Wednesday) - Silent Civilian is playing at The Curtain Club in Deep Ellum. After that will be a competely non-metal show but a good time anyway: Wednesday 13, Vains of Jenna, and Valentine Failures @ Tomcat's in Deep Ellum. Then later in the month will be Enslaved & Abigail Williams at the Ridglea Theater in Ft Worth. Now that will be one helluva metal night!

Went to two gigs this week. First was Arsis/Mnemic/Goat Whore/God Forbid. Really went to see the first two. (There was another band, but the vocals were sooo bad, I had to step outside. Too bad, because the guitars seemed pretty strong). Arsis kicked major ass and it was great seeing Noah play again. He's got some serious talent.

I was very impressed with Mnemic. They were tight, energetic and clearly the best performance of the night. I'll definitely make sure I try to catch them any time they play in the area.

Goat Whore....what can I say? Redneck satanic death metal is not for me.

God Forbid is good at what they do, but I'm also not into that super jacked-up American thrash sound, though Doc Colye gives a powerful performance. Too bad I had to wait them out to give my poor overworked hubby a ride home from work. (Yea, at midnight on a Sunday. Poor guy.)

Last night I saw Enslaved. First time catching them live and had never really heard much of their music. Wow, what a innovative mix of progressive/black metal with some doom influences. Very talented guys. Very unique sound. Can't wait to see them again. Must pick up some cds.

The headliner was Dark Funeral. If satanic death metal complete with leather armor and face paint is your thing, go for it. I just can't take that shit seriously and the music isn't good enough to get past the act. Left after three songs. Got some interesting photos, though. Will post all photos from both bands soon.

Got a preview of Virgin Steele at the Dublin Pub in Long Island Friday. Unfortunately, the bass player was injured so just three guys performed. Where I was standing the sound was only so-so. But those are the negative things. Positively, they sounded great despite the venue sound. Very animated, energetic and entertaining. Should be a great ProgPower set. Just think they need to interact with the audience a bit more. Not much chatter. Here's a few preview photos. Will have more on the website soon.

07VirSteel40.jpg

07VirSteel37.jpg

07VirSteel31.jpg

07VirSteel11.jpg

Well, this year the metal scene in Denver is finally starting to look a little more interesting - Sonata Arctica is coming in September!! Woo-hoo!!! :kickass: Unfortunately, my other fave, Nightwish, appears to be touring pretty much everywhere around the west, except Colorado. :cry: Maybe that will change as more dates get added.

april 27 dead star assembly
may 6-explosions in the sky
may 21 the killers
may 29 lacuna coil/w within temptation and the gathering
jun 29-3 inchs of blood
june 6 sparta or flyleaf
june 8-the last dance
june 30- VNV nation
july 10-to/die/for
july 12-ozzfest
july 29 -symphony x
Helloween-Nightwish

WOO-HOO!!!! Nightwish IS coming to Denver (Late next spring)!!! :worship: Just saw Sonata Arctica for the first time back in September - that was really great - wasn't sure what the crowd was going to be like. I will definitely look forward to seeing them again if they tour here again. Also going to see Queensryche in January doing their cover tunes tour. They are always excellent live. We'll see what else comes up later.............:headbang:

I saw Sonata Arctica in Jersey last night. Too bad for the bands that it was Superbowl Sunday; the venue was pretty empty though the floor was almost full. I got there right before Sanctity went on and I felt they put on a decent performance, though I have to admit, I was mostly watching the game at the back bar, along with nearly half the crowd. I thought the new lead singer had a great voice and good stage presence.

The Giants had finished making history by the time Sonata Arctica came on, so the band had our full attention. I enjoyed their set immensely. Somehow it was better than they'd been when they headlined PPUSA in Atlanta last October, though I really can't explain specifically why. Maybe less is more? The smaller crowd seemed totally into it.
Set List:
In Black & White
Paid in Full
Victoria's Secret
Broken
8th Commandment
Shamandalie
Caleb
Black Sheep (Instrumental Ending, Elias solo)
The World's forgotten, The world's forbidden
Wolf & Raven
Full Moon
-----
Crowd Interaction + We Will Rock You (Queen)
It Won't Fade
Gravenimage
Don't Say a Word
The Cage
VODKA

Next up:
Queensryche with Don Dokken Thursday, Feb 7th, Starland
Twisted Sister, Feb. 21, Irving Plaza, NYC
Iron Maiden, March 14th, Meadowlands Arena, NJ
Doro, March 23, Highline Ballroom, NYC
Symphony X, April 4th, Nokia Theatre, NYC
Testament, April 5th, Starland or April 6th at B.B. Kings, NYC
Dimmu Borgir and Behemoth, April 25th, Starland
Nightwish, May 5th, Starland - maybe a couple other dates on this tour.