Upcoming releases

I don't know what to expect from Wolfheart. Basically the same sound like all of his previous projects and bands. I think I'll pass.

I did not knew either, but Winterborn was amazing. More like a Black Sun Aeon than f.ex. Before the Dawn. But Black Sun Aeon was my favourite, so it goes better than fine for me. :)

From Shadow World I expect quite much, based on Winterborn.

A comparison of vocal ranges, including Finand's present-day superstar.

7VS82tM.png

Cool. Glenn Hughes should be on there as well: D2 to D6, pretty close to Roger Daltry or Freddy Mercury territory.

Halford: C2 to C#6 is right there as well.

Dani Filth...???

Oops, meant to post this under Fun stuff, but I was in a bit of a hurry. Never mind. Kate Bush and Nick Cave would have made for interesting additions, too.

As to the actual topic of this thread, I should try the lottery this weekend:

final-MOCKUP.jpg

I will admit, I'm kinda traumatized by the knowledge that Axl has a wider vocal range than either Halford or Geoff Tate (and Tate's range is smaller than a lot of the people on that list).

King Diamond...E1 to C6
Nick Cave: B1 to G#5
Kate Bush: B2 to F6

All according to The Range Place 2.0 forum.

ETA: Siouxsie Sioux: F2 to D7

Out tomorrow: Vainaja - Kadotetut

Good lord...the heaviness. It's pretty crushing.

Those sounds are quite awesome. At first I was not sure do I like that or not, but more I listen to that, the more I like.

This moment number one in my waiting-list is a solo album from Jonne Järvelä (from Korpiklaani).
Based on two songs published in YouTube, there maybe (and hopefully) will be more like older Korpiklaani, even something like Shaman.
"The first demo was the best" and more those kinds of a clichés, but the old (first four albums) Korpiklaani albums are so much better, than the new ones. Ukon Wacka was almost good, but the latest one was very bad.

And btw, there is a certain Santeri Kallio playing keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6y1lEVQaeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYiSWPrNbuc

Hell yeah. Can't wait for Solstafir album. The last one rocked, though Köld is still my favorite.

Also, new Opeth song is out there on the internetz. Haven't listened to it yet, tho.

Just listened to the leaked Opeth single. It's different for them -- a bit smoother and groovier with some delay in the main guitar riff. Looks like the whole album may have leaked, which sort of sucks for them. No matter to me. I was going to buy it no matter what.

The beginning in particular reminds me of Kingston Wall. Just recently I listened to Heritage again, for the first time since shortly after its release, but I still couldn't get into it. The new song sounds a bit more promising by comparison, but I miss early 2000s' Opeth.

I can definitely see where you are getting a KW vibe. There's an oriental feel to the progression. I like the new single, but it strikes me as being a bit odd if only because the vocal harmony chorus feels almost like a bridge to me. I keep expecting one more motif. But other than that, I think this one song at least sounds like an progression on what he was doing on Watershed taken in a more groovy, 80s metal direction.

I still like Heritage. It's not my favorite Opeth album, but I think it's as good as a big chunk of their discography. Though I can see why some Opeth fans are put off by it. You don't hear much continuity between it and early Opeth. You hear Åkerfeldt's early metal and prog influences filtered through later Opeth.

I think Mikael is correct to note that this new one sounds more like a cleaned up version of an 80s sound rather than a vintage 70s sound or a really full and compressed modern mix.

ETA -- Finally put my finger on what Cusp of Eternity reminded me of...it has the same vibe as Derelict Herds, one of the bonus tracks from Watershed.

About the new Opeth song, Cusp of Eternity. I just listened it, and right away I get a feel of a similar sounding than on start of Amorphis' Alone.

The riff in the start is a kind of... Of course not the same kind, but I think those riffs reminds each others. I even played those songs to my friend (I did not tell which songs are in question and he don't identify Amorphis' songs) and he also thought that there is something same in those riffs.