Upcoming releases

I never thought I would like an Opeth album so much to want to buy it, but Pale Communion might be the deal breaker.
I never liked Akerfeldt's growls much - they have always been overdone and too distracting for me. But in this album there's none, so one can concentrate on the quality of music. I really like it.

It's definitely a further development of the proggy direction they took with Heritage. Parts of it definitely feel more kinship with King Crimson than with Iron Maiden. Different, but still top quality, even if they have lost a lot of heaviness and most all brutality.

Opeth's FB feed is being lit up by people who, if given a time machine, would spend all their time trying to keep Mikael and Steve Wilson from ever meeting. I say it's better to have a polarizing change in style than to punch the clock and crank out pale reflections of the work they did in their 20s and then have the fans complain that they don't like how his voice has changed with time or that they don't play as aggressively, etc.. Fans can be such fickle little bitches.

I really don't get fans who have no room in their taste for any variation.

Got tickets to see them with In Flames and Red Fang in December. Looking forward to it.

After a couple of listens I'm already quite sure that I like PC more than Heritage, but the new Solstafir so far (just found the streaming link and haven't listened through all of it yet) seems to be the winner for me.

The new Von Hertzen Brothers album is also likely to be better than the last one, judging from this evening's gig where they played all 16 new songs they currently have. Not all of them will end up on the album (and the camera/video ban seemed to be respected by everybody, so expect no youtube footage) and the studio sessions haven't even begun, but they definitely have a promising selection to choose from.

Ne Obliviscaris are coming out with "Citadel" on November 7. Quite eagerly looking forward to it.

EDIT: And now Ghost Brigade announced "IV - One with the Storm" for the same date.

Me too, but the interwebz are full of people bitching that they do not like Nick's vocals because they are not Death-y enough.

Someone needs to invent a pesticide that only works on whiny, entitled douchebags.

Not bad, not bad at all. :D And a more gratifying sample than the two Ghost Brigade teasers that are out so far. I trust the album will be excellent, but those snippets tell hardly more than nothing at all. :p

Last edited by a moderator: