Upcoming releases

Now that journalists and other promoters have got their copies, we should get a full Enslaved track soon. In the meantime, this was uploaded to Youtube:

Edit: Video removed (Thurisaz Dreaming). That was quick.

It's back:

Last edited by a moderator:
Now it's official. :D Too bad it's faded out just after kicking into yet another gear. Damn, I already love this sh*t at first listening, and usually new Enslaved tracks take at least a few spins for me to start seriously getting into them...

EDIT: Tuonelan beat me to it ;)

That video came to my mind too, being perfect and all.
NB folks may know how to handle Photoshop and graphics well, but man, they miss the point.

I'm not a fan of lyric videos in general, though. If it's a simple and elegant one, it's okay (Amo's videos for Circle were good), but when it's so blown out of proportions like this and doesn't fit the song, it is a sore sight.

But I am nitpicking. The important thing is I'm really excited for the new album now.

I have to admit, I did not so much watch the video as I started the video and then left the audio running as I continued to surf.

Whatever.

Even if the initial release had disappointed, I'd have preordered Enslaved's new album. They've earned a measure of trust and loyalty with their past releases.

Dammit, Century Media, when are you going to put up the pre-order for On Lonely Towers? I keep checking, but you keep delaying. You've already done it for Karyn Crisis' Gospel of the Witches, which comes out the same day as Barren Earth.

822de50c2c5698c30fb9d79e85ff9fc3fe5eb76ab79811a7f05ddfb2c84fd1f5.jpg

Aussie proggers Chaos Divine are currently streaming their upcoming new album Colliding Skies on Soundcloud. Not quite feeling it as thoroughly as the previous, but it's still pretty tasty.

vw.jpg

AMORPHIS HEADS FOR STUDIO – NEW ALBUM OUT IN SEPTEMBER

Finnish metal act Amorphis has started the year off by demoing new songs for their upcoming 12th studio album due out in September. The band will start pre*production this March in Helsinki with producer Jens Bogren. The album recordings will begin in April at Bogren's Fascination Street Studio in Stockholm.

The lyrics are written by Amorphis' spiritual mentor Pekka Kainulainen. ”Like Kalevala, they are descriptions of natural phenomena, seasons and the human mind. Reoccuring situations where hope and uncertainty alternate. Attempting to gain advice from higher powers. The poems do not form a complete story per se, but they are drawn together by a certain theme. We live under a red cloud and once again, time weighs us” describes Pekka Kainulainen.

The new album will be released in September when Amorphis will embark on a world tour, starting from their native Finland. Amorphis will be touring Europe with Nightwish at the end of the year.

Fuck yeah, Jens Bogren. Love his work. Hope he brings a more open sound to the mix. I loved what Tatgren brought to the last recording in terms of brutality and stripping down the sound, but I think that Bogren will be able to give the recording a bit more sense of space. Would love for Amorphis to get a mix something like the one that Daylight Dies had on Lost to the Living:

Since Bogren has been involved with a significant portion of my favorite releases in the past couple of years or so, I'm expecting great things music-wise. Hope the lyrics will live up to it, gotta admit that I liked Pekka's Kalevala adaptions better than Circle, but maybe I'm biased there. ;)

^ My Bogren-y love was made quite clear to me this morning when I went to the dresser to pick a shirt to wear. Fully half of my metal tees feature artwork from albums on which he worked.

As far as the music goes, however, I'm expecting this next album to sound a lot like the rest of the recent catalog, which is okay by me. I'd love to be blown away by something new and unexpected, but I'd be surprised if there were more than one or two songs that came close to doing that. They've found a writing method that works well for everyone involved and is popular enough that they don't feel the need to wander off the path in search of new ground. Not going to fault them for it, though. I own how many Amon Amarth albums? When was the last time AA did anything different?

They're doing their own trademark thing, and that's fine with me. Amorphis used to be everything to me, now they're just one of several bands I'm very fond of - and I like each of these for different things. For bold experimenting, I turn to this - coincidentally, Bogren had his hand in here, too:

As far as the music goes, however, I'm expecting this next album to sound a lot like the rest of the recent catalog, which is okay by me. I'd love to be blown away by something new and unexpected, but I'd be surprised if there were more than one or two songs that came close to doing that. They've found a writing method that works well for everyone involved and is popular enough that they don't feel the need to wander off the path in search of new ground. Not going to fault them for it, though.

It'll probably more of the same, yeah. I don't mind. I like it. I've grown to expect certain things of them and they usually deliver the goods.
I'm growing old to constantly adapt to new things from bands I know and like.
If I need innovation, I seek it elsewhere. Though, sadly, innovation is hard to come by these days.

I need to admit that I don't really know, what is the influence of a producer for a separate album. Yeah, I kind of a know, but not really knowknow or understand. F.ex. I can't imagine what kind of differences there would be f.ex. in Circle sound if Bogren had produce it, not Tättärä. Of cource I know and understand that same dude can't do Justin Bieber and Amorphis. If you know what I mean with this unclear explanation. ;)
But anyway, Bogren's discography involved with Amorphis sounds really good.

Wait, I haven't posted the new Wilderun track here? Silly me. Throwing Enslaved, Wintersun and Turisas into a blender can produce a pretty awesome result.

By the way, if any of you Americans think this sounds familiar then let us know. Their debut album is based on symphonic metal versions of traditional American folk tunes.