ms. anthrope

back off, mofo...
Feb 12, 2002
s.f. bay area
www.msanthrope.com
From BLABBERMOUTH:

WOO-HOO!

All-Star DEATH Tribute To Surface Through MASCOT RECORDS - Jan. 29, 2004

Former DEATH/TESTAMENT guitarist James Murphy has reportedly secured a deal with Holland's Mascot Records for his upcoming all-star tribute to album being put together in memory of DEATH mainman Chuck Schuldiner.

The CD, said to be titled "Within The Mind", is tentatively scheduled to include contributions from SLIPKNOT guitarist Mick Thomson and bassist Paul Gray, MALEVOLENT CREATION/ex-SUFFOCATION drummer Dave Culross, ex-MALEVOLENT CREATION vocalist Brett Hoffmann and CKY guitarist Deron Miller. A late 2004 release is expected.

more on the death tribute!

from BLABBERMOUTH:

DEATH Tribute CD: More Guest Musicians Confirmed - Jan. 30, 2004

More information has surfaced about the upcoming homage to the musical legacy of DEATH mainman Chuck Schuldiner. Set for release on Mascot Records in June, "Within The Mind" is a tribute to one of the most influential bands ever in the history of extreme metal.

So far this is the confirmed list of musicians involved in the project:

James Murphy (ex-DEATH, TESTAMENT, OBITUARY)
Darren Miller (CKY)
Paul Gray (SLIPKNOT)
Mick Thomson (SLIPKNOT)
Bret Hoffmann (ex-MALEVOLENT CREATION)
Dave Culross (MALEVOLENT CREATION, ex-SUFFOCATION)
Ross Dolan (IMMOLATION)
Peter Tägtgren (HYPOCRISY)
Mike Chlasciak (PAINMUSEUM, ex-HALFORD)
Terry Butler (SIX FEET UNDER, ex-DEATH, MASSACRE)
Chuck Billy (TESTAMENT)
Eric Peterson (TESTAMENT, DRAGONLORD)
Ryan Martinie (MUDVAYNE)
Chad Gray (MUDVAYNE)

Would be pretty crushing to hear Chuck Billy scream Pull the Plug. Chucky S. would be proud. Tell James to try to recruit the following guys:

John Tardy
Jeff Walker
Alexi Laiho
Kelly Shaefer
Sean Reinert/Paul Masvidal

Some of these guys might be impossible to get on the record, but it would be cool either way :)

From BLABBERMOUTH:

JAMES MURPHY Discusses Upcoming DEATH Tribute CD - Feb. 2, 2004

Former DEATH/TESTAMENT/OBITUARY guitarist James Murphy has provided BLABBERMOUTH.NET with the following exclusive update on his current activities:

"The DEATH tribute project I am working on organizing and will soon begin recording is officially titled: 'Within The Mind - An Homage To The Musical Legacy Of Chuck Schuldiner'. I will begin pre-production rehearsals with primary drummer Dave Culross [MALEVOLENT CREATION, ex-SUFFOCATION] some time in the next couple weeks but will spend time fleshing out the final tracklist and deciding who will do what with Deron Miller [CKY] for a few days immediately prior to the rehearsals.

"So far there are quite a few confirmed guests. Those include: me, Deron Miller, Dave Culross, Mikael Thomson [SLIPKNOT], Paul Gray [SLIPKNOT], Brett Hoffmann [ex-MALEVOLENT CREATION], Ross Dolan [IMMOLATION], Mike Chlasciak [PAINMUSEUM, ex-HALFORD], and Terry Butler [SIX FEET UNDER, ex-DEATH, MASSACRE].

"There are also quite a few others who want to participate, if their touring and/or recording schedules allow. Those include: Peter Tägtgren [HYPOCRISY, PAIN], Chuck Billy [TESTAMENT], Eric Peterson [TESTAMENT, DRAGONLORD], Luc Lemay [GORGUTS], Andy LaRocque [KING DIAMOND], Richard Christy [ICED EARTH, ex-DEATH, CONTROL DENIED], Ryan and Chad of MUDVAYNE, Patrick Mameli [ex-PESTILENCE], Jean-Francois Degenais [KATAKLYSM], and a number of others, so expect the confirmed roster to grow.

"The track selection will span DEATH's career from 'Scream Bloody Gore' to 'Symbolic', the thought being that the 'Sound of Perseverance' songs are too recent to consider for a tribute CD.

"The label that is backing the project is Holland's Mascot Records. A number of studios are being considered for the basic tracks but no final decision has been made at this point. The majority of the overdubs from all the guests will be recorded by myself at various studios and remote locations via a powerful mobile recording system. I will carry this system around with me to a few different locations in both the U.S. and Europe, in order to most cost effectively gather the performances of all the contributors. The album will then be mixed, by myself and, if everything works to plan, at least one other 'name' producer of note.

"This project was conceived by Deron Miller as a means to help me raise money for my medical bills and has the blessing of the Schuldiner family.

"If all goes well, I intend to get started with pre-production and final writing sessions for the second DISINCARNATE CD, which is still untitled at this point, as soon as the 'Within The Mind' project wraps."

the latest from BLABBERMOUTH:

CKY's DERON MILLER Speaks Out On Upcoming DEATH Tribute: 'This Is The Real Deal' - Feb. 6, 2004

CKY guitarist/vocalist Deron Miller is widely credited for conceiving the upcoming DEATH tribute project, "Within The Mind - An Homage To The Musical Legacy Of Chuck Schuldiner", as a means to help guitarist James Murphy (ex-TESTAMENT, DEATH, OBITUARY) raise money for his medical bills (Murphy is currently receiving treatment for a massive brain tumor with which he was diagnosed in August 2001).

The project, which has the blessing of the family of late DEATH mastermind Chuck Schuldiner (who passed away in December 2001 after a battle with pontine glioma, a rare type of brain tumor), is expected to feature a number of special guest appearances, including those by Miller, Murphy, Dave Culross (MALEVOLENT CREATION, ex-SUFFOCATION), Mikael Thomson (SLIPKNOT), Paul Gray (SLIPKNOT), Brett Hoffmann (ex-MALEVOLENT CREATION), Ross Dolan (IMMOLATION), Mike Chlasciak (PAINMUSEUM, ex-HALFORD), and Terry Butler (SIX FEET UNDER, ex-DEATH, MASSACRE). Other musicians that are interested in participating (if their touring and/or recording schedules allow) include Peter Tägtgren (HYPOCRISY, PAIN), Chuck Billy (TESTAMENT), Eric Peterson (TESTAMENT, DRAGONLORD), Luc Lemay (GORGUTS), Andy LaRocque (KING DIAMOND), Richard Christy (ICED EARTH, ex-DEATH, CONTROL DENIED), Rya and Chad of MUDVAYNE, Patrick Mameli (ex-PESTILENCE), and Jean-Francois Degenais (KATAKLYSM).

According to Murphy, "The track selection will span DEATH's career from 'Scream Bloody Gore' to 'Symbolic', the thought being that the 'Sound of Perseverance' songs are too recent to consider for a tribute CD." A June release through Holland's Mascot Records is expected.

Speaking exclusively to BLABBERMOUTH.NET, Miller explained his reasons for launching the project: "I never got to meet Chuck Schuldiner," Deron said. "He never knew I existed, and that will bother me for the rest of my life because I was one of his biggest fans and supporters. [DEATH's] 'Spiritual Healing' changed my life forever when it came out in early 1990. It was way ahead of its time...and still is...and from there I went on to learn every note, word, and solo on every DEATH record by heart. After living through the horror of Chuck's last days and hearing of the Schuldiners' financial misfortune...topped with James Murphy's illness and financial struggle, a tribute to Chuck and the music of DEATH became an imperative no-brainer. Rest assured: this project will be nothing less than top-notch, and of course...as usual, naysayers will be proven wrong. This is the real deal."

UPDATE from JAMES MURPHY dated 2/10/04

Tonight Richard Christy (Death, Control Denied, Iced Earth, Burning Inside) confirmed his appearance on the Within The Mind project. Richard will play on a total of 4 tracks which originate on the Human and Individual Thought Patterns albums. he will spend the next week or so refreshing his memory and sharpening his chops on those songs and then i will join him at his Orlando warehouse the following weekend for some intense rehearsals after which we will enter a local Orlando studio (ARS is the most likely choice) and lay down his tracks. we're very excited and honored to have Richard on board and his tracks will be the first to be recorded for the project!

Soon after i will begin rehearsals with Dave Culross and he will record the majority of the remaining drum tracks.

Also noteworthy: at last night's Opeth concert in Tampa drummer Martin Lopez expressed his interest in playing at least one track on the Within The Mind project. schedules permitting, i will try hard to make certain that he does!

More news as it develops....

from BLABBERMOUTH:

OPETH Drummer To Guest On DEATH Tribute CD? - Feb. 11, 2004

OPETH drummer Martin Lopez is the latest high-profile metal musician linked with the upcoming DEATH tribute project, "Within The Mind - In Homage To The Musical Legacy Of Chuck Schuldiner", tentatively due in June through Holland's Mascot Records.

"At [Monday] night's OPETH concert in Tampa, drummer Martin Lopez expressed his interest in playing at least one track on the 'Within The Mind' project," said James Murphy (ex-TESTAMENT, DEATH, OBITUARY), one of the musicians spearheading the release. "Schedules permitting, I will try hard to make certain that he does!"

The project, which was conceived by CKY guitarist/vocalist Deron Miller as a means to help guitarist James Murphy (ex-TESTAMENT, DEATH, OBITUARY) raise money for his medical bills (Murphy is currently receiving treatment for a massive brain tumor with which he was diagnosed in August 2001), is expected to feature a number of special guest appearances, including those by Miller, Murphy, Dave Culross (MALEVOLENT CREATION, ex-SUFFOCATION), Mikael Thomson (SLIPKNOT), Paul Gray (SLIPKNOT), Brett Hoffmann (ex-MALEVOLENT CREATION), Richard Christy (ICED EARTH, ex-DEATH, CONTROL DENIED), Ross Dolan (IMMOLATION), Mike Chlasciak (PAINMUSEUM, ex-HALFORD), and Terry Butler (SIX FEET UNDER, ex-DEATH, MASSACRE).

Regarding Christy's involvement, Murphy said, "Richard will play on a total of four tracks which originate on the 'Human' and 'Individual Thought Patterns' albums. he will spend the next week or so refreshing his memory and sharpening his chops on those songs and then I will join him at his Orlando warehouse the following weekend for some intense rehearsals after which we will enter a local Orlando studio (ARS is the most likely choice) and lay down his tracks. we're very excited and honored to have Richard on board and his tracks will be the first to be recorded for the project!

"Soon after I will begin rehearsals with Dave Culross and he will record the majority of the remaining drum tracks."

As previously reported, other musicians that are interested in participating (if their touring and/or recording schedules allow) include Peter Tägtgren (HYPOCRISY, PAIN), Chuck Billy (TESTAMENT), Eric Peterson (TESTAMENT, DRAGONLORD), Luc Lemay (GORGUTS), Andy LaRocque (KING DIAMOND), Richard Christy (ICED EARTH, ex-DEATH, CONTROL DENIED), Rya and Chad of MUDVAYNE, Patrick Mameli (ex-PESTILENCE), and Jean-Francois Degenais (KATAKLYSM).

According to Murphy, "The track selection will span DEATH's career from 'Scream Bloody Gore' to 'Symbolic', the thought being that the 'Sound of Perseverance' songs are too recent to consider for a tribute CD."

from BLABBERMOUTH:

ICED EARTH Drummer RICHARD CHRISTY Issues Latest Update - Feb. 10, 2004

Drummer Richard Christy (ICED EARTH, ex-DEATH, CONTROL DENIED) has issued the following update on his current activities:

"My band BURNING INSIDE is confirmed to play the Sun N' Steel Metal Fest in Tampa, Florida the weekend of March 6 and 7. BURNING INSIDE is also playing the Sunshine Plaza Performing Arts Center, 2400 S. Ridgewood Ave., in South Daytona Beach, Florida this Friday the 13th of February.

"I am also playing four songs on James Murphy's DEATH tribute album [dubbed 'Within The Mind - In Homage To The Musical Legacy Of Chuck Schuldiner']. I'll be playing songs off of the 'Human' and 'Individual Thought Patterns' albums. Those are two albums that influenced me hugely and it is an honor to play on an album that pays tribute to my dear friend Chuck, and I am very happy to have the chance to help out my friend James with his ongoing medical bills.

"There are now two new BURNING INSIDE demo songs available on my website RichardChristy.com in the BURNING INSIDE section of the site. The songs are titled 'Humanity Forsaken' and 'Overcast Of My Inner Self'. BURNING INSIDE is still looking for a record label to release our third full-length album."

update directly from james 2/12/04:

Another new, confirmed guest for the Within The Mind tribute: Luc Lemay of Gorguts!!

That brings the total new additions to 4 in as many days. Luc joins other recent additions Richard Christy (Iced Earth, Ex-Death, Control Denied), Patrick Mameli (Ex-Pestilence) and Jean-Francois Dagenais (Kataklysm).

James M.