Updating REAPER, anything to worry about?

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
I'm not sure if I've ever actually updated Reaper before.

Does an update keep all my settings/sessions/templates, etc?

It seems I'd be safe but I wanted to double check.

I've been having some massive issues with my computer that is not even 2 years old, 16GB RAM. I load a single guitar chain (TSEX50, NadIR, EQ) on a folder track and it is totally impossible to record anything. Tried setting my buffer to something crazy like 512 and still, so much cracks and pops.

What has occurred to me is that, when I installed Reaper on this machine (64 bit), the 64 bit version was buggy as hell for some reason, so I installed the 32 bit version. I'm starting to think that this may be a big part of my problem.

It should be fine to install the latest version and keep your project files intact. I myself have had some of the same issues ever since I installed windows 7. Cracks and pops even with one guitar track only, maybe 30% CPU usage and 40% ram usage going. Never had this problem with XP on the exact same machine.

Cockos releases updates constantly and I've never had any issues short of some minor GUI glitches. I wouldn't worry too much. And they keep old versions on the website at any rate.

Updating reaper is exactly the same as updating it : if you're worried, just copy your main reaper folder which contains all the fx chains, setup parameters and themes or even toolbars of your setup. You can even go in the preferences and in the beginning make a super-export of the whole reaper setup in a single zip file (something like that). This would be another super-safe save for your setup. Then just update, install, whatever you want and import this again.

I'm not sure if I've ever actually updated Reaper before.

Does an update keep all my settings/sessions/templates, etc?

It seems I'd be safe but I wanted to double check.

I've been having some massive issues with my computer that is not even 2 years old, 16GB RAM. I load a single guitar chain (TSEX50, NadIR, EQ) on a folder track and it is totally impossible to record anything. Tried setting my buffer to something crazy like 512 and still, so much cracks and pops.

What has occurred to me is that, when I installed Reaper on this machine (64 bit), the 64 bit version was buggy as hell for some reason, so I installed the 32 bit version. I'm starting to think that this may be a big part of my problem.

Try the 64 bit again ? You can make a different install if you create a reaper.ini empty file next to it (it will detect it and create a local 2nd version of reaper, so that hey are separated). If it works then update your main install to the 64 bit version or install clean and import settings file.
Try something else than TSEX50 and Nadir to be sure these aren't the problem.

Well, finally updated. Everything is smooth except it's doing some really weird stuff to MIDI when I open a project that had been saved on the 32-bit version.
It's adding random space between certain midi notes and really screwing with me. For some reason I just cannot win with the proper version for my PC. =|

I have never ever had a problem opening an old project and I'm talking a switch from PC 32 to Mac 32 then Mac 64 ! Have you tried saving and importing your whole setup and settings before opening an old project ? 32 and 64bit can coexist if you need further testing on a single machine

I don't think a project holds any information about 32 or 64 bit. I might be wrong but I don't see how this could happen. Are you sure your midi files are really clean ? Do you see only notes if you open a midi like in the midi editor and then switch to event view ? I systematically check for this, especially if the midi is exterior, from GP for example. The export function of some apps add so much crap to a midi file they can be annoying at times. Since a midi like is usually just notes velocities and maybe expression, there shouldn't be too much but as this is pretty much completely universal.

It should be fine to install the latest version and keep your project files intact. I myself have had some of the same issues ever since I installed windows 7. Cracks and pops even with one guitar track only, maybe 30% CPU usage and 40% ram usage going. Never had this problem with XP on the exact same machine.

try to update your wifi driver to the latest version. I had the same issue on various USB powered interfaces. Cracks were gone after I updated wifi driver (the workaround I used till then was to disable wifi on my laptop)

never had an issue with updating Reaper

Yeah I'm not really sure what happened. The MIDI opened fine in Reaper (x86) but had a few spots that were screwed up in the (x64) version. (Both versions still on the computer).

What I ended up doing was, installing the 64 bit onto my HDD and the old 32 bit version was installed on my SSD which is about full.....so I'm trying to free space up there and didn't have enough space for the update anyway.

And I also figured out that this didn't improve my issue with latency/cracks/pops/shit. I'm scratching my head over this. My shitty old laptop with 4GB RAM could run my interface at 64 samples with no problems and yet this new machine with 16GB RAM can barely run a single instance of amp sim/IR loader with everything else bypassed and buffer set to 256. =/ Barely even touching the CPU. The last thing I guess I need to do is get a TI chipset.