url to dt members pics stuck to the top of 1st page?

would you like a thread with the url to the pictures page forever on top?

• yes, it's such a good idea only rahvin could come up with it!

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • no, it's such a stupid idea only rahvin could come up with it!

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters

rahvin

keeper of the flame
Oct 10, 2001
safe but not far from the city
i need your opinion on this.

i could stick to the top of the first page of the board a single-message, (maybe locked) thread with the url to salamurhaaja's forum-members pictures page. this will result in something looking like the newbies and check this band threads.
the good part is that everybody will easily find the link to the images of our beloved selves without having to browse the board. it would also increase the forum's relative popularity (ppl like looking at pics and will likely spend more time here).
the downside is that sticking another thread to the top might turn up into the first page being too crowded of "static" threads.

i have no preference so i'm not voting. also, many regulars are away at the moment (because of holidays or exams or whatever) so i won't do anything until late august - early september anyway, when everybody has had a chance to express his/her pov.

it's up to you all now. :)

rahvin.

it's a good idea, i don't think a locked topic more would bother anyone, it's just a matter of getting used to see it.
and sure, it would do good to the popularity of this forum :)

It's a good idea. It'd attract more people here (hopefully only the cool people :) ).

Hmm... it's a good idea for me never to put any of my pictures there. It would disturb people. hehe

I can't really vote on this since I am involved. It would be cool if you could have it there, but that would make 3 of them already, not too bad tho, I have seen worse on some forums.

Originally posted by Hearse
Yes but the pic thread should be differen't color.. and on the very top.. if that s possible :)

different color = unlikely.
at the very top = maybe it can be arranged if it's locked, not sure, have to do some research.

some element of distinction is in general a good idea, i guess.

i'm still uncertain because of the crowding of the first page with "static" threads. well, plenty of time to think about it.

thanks for your comments, keep them coming.

rahvin.

Yeaps good idea, but ( my thoughts don´t differ to much from the crowds) can´t it be arranged in some other way than locking the thread? I tend to never read the locked threads, dunno why, but that´s the case...

-phyros ( sinus reader, on his way up on the top again )

Originally posted by Phyros
Yeaps good idea, but ( my thoughts don´t differ to much from the crowds) can´t it be arranged in some other way than locking the thread? I tend to never read the locked threads, dunno why, but that´s the case...

the only reason why i thought about locking the thread (thus allowing no new posts on it) was that one single message is not likely to be overlooked, while a 10+ pages thread is rarely read from start to finish by any newbie. it makes no difference under any other respect i can think of, since the purpose is creating some sort of "quick link" to the pics page on the board. if i find a better way to do it than a thread i'd leap at the chance to use it. ;)

rahvin.

Salamurhaaja's (i spelled it correctly :D ) suggestion is to my mind the best,but i have no clue if it is possible. If not,having it on the top of the thread-list is fine... if it is just 3 important threads i guess no-one would have any problem.... (besides pressing the page "2" button on the bottom is not so big deal..... or so it seems to me since being quite absent i do it often )

Gods no! Two is almost unbearable, three would make me leave this place :mad: I think it should be somehow visible, but I think you should at least unstick the band promotion thread (and the newbies one too, it hasn't served its original purpose for a long time).

Originally posted by Ormir
Gods no! Two is almost unbearable, three would make me leave this place :mad:

oh, now i can explain why so many ppl voted for yes. :p

Originally posted by Ormir

I think it should be somehow visible, but I think you should at least unstick the band promotion thread (and the newbies one too, it hasn't served its original purpose for a long time).

this are sensible ideas. in fact, i can always merge every band-promotion spam on the thread that's now stuck to the top (i do it aynway in most cases) so i guess that thread might as well go down. thanks for the suggestion. :)

rahvin.

Im think too many threads on top ( more than 2 or 3 ) would make the forum obtrusive to us all, unless of course people runs this on 1600x1200 wich is unlikely.

It is wise to make a poll about it because the threads that could stay on top forever need to be carefully choosen

@velya: indeed. this gives me a chance to point out two facts that perhaps have been/are overlooked by some:

- mods can also unstick threads at any time.

- the number of threads stuck to the top does not count in the "number of threads per page" option the vast majority of you has set - as is the default - to 20. this means that now most of you see 22 threads on the first page, with all the consequences this implies (mainly: no "newer" threads on second page but longer loading time especially on dial-up connections).

as stated previously, i have no definite stance on the matter. the more we discuss/vote the highest the chance we find the best way to sort this out.

rahvin.

the loading time increase is not significantly as it's only one line of plain text plus a symbol which already had to be loaded for the other two threads. you wouldn't notice even if using an 28.8k modem.