stuck thread has to go

Which thread do you want unsticked from top to be replaced by one about pics/avatars?

• the newbies thread

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • the check new bands thread

Votes: 18 85.7%

• Total voters

rahvin

keeper of the flame
Oct 10, 2001
safe but not far from the city
i would like to make room on top of the first page for a thread with handy informations about where to send pictures, where to see pictures of fellow board members and where to send your avatars (if you're a regular) for them to be stored.

in july i had the feeling most of you think 3 threads on top would be too much, but at the same time most of you like the idea of displaying that infos right on top of the first page. so either the "newbie" or the "check this band" thread has to go and be replaced by the new one.

kindly express your opinions: suggestions are also very welcome.

rahvin.

Originally posted by DotNoir
It's nice when people are nice, ain't it rahvin? :)

mmmmmmmmmmm............yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeessssss. :rolleyes:

about the free-for-all thread idea, i think it might be a bit confusing for newbies and i'm perplexed about sticking such a cauldron to the top. i'm not sure ppl would easily get the infos they need. also, some of the things phyre suggested should be covered by the faq, and i was thinking about linking to the faqs too. villain?

rahvin. (loves dot)

@Rahvin - I don't remember seeing a free-for-all thread proposed, but in any case, I like Phyre's idea. Make it essentially a 1 post thread with links to the other threads like a newbie one, or a new band one, etc. If you can disable replying, too, that might be helpful, as I don't really see the point of replying to such a thread...

~Kovenant

i like the linking idea too. i'm sorry i didn't say it before on this thread, after phyre's second reply, but you have to forgive me: i came back today and i'm checking the forum the best i can before falling asleep... i wasn't paying as much attention as i should have had. :)
my only doubts are about listing on that closed thread so many things that don't match up together so well, because maybe your basic newbie will skip through that post without paying it much mind and miss the important link he's looking for. i'll try to think of something sleek enough to satisfy every need without being cumbersome.
thanks all for support and sorry again if i overlooked the poignant stuff the first time round. :)

rahvin.

I like the idea of having just one thread with links to the others as well, much better than keeping 3 or even more stickies up there.
How about name it something like, READ ME FIRST! or something to that effect and make it in caps as well, so you shouldn't miss it.
Also, don't make it too long, just something 'Welcome, here are usuful links, if you are new here, check them out before posting, please' and then the links.

I'm also with you guys, I think the IDEA of just one and only thread in sort of READ ME FIRST thread with links to wherever the ppl want to go..
anyway, I voted off the "look this chupi band" thread

fathervic (.dot)

one thread. READ THIS FIRST. newbies won't get distracted, just make it short - 10 links maximum, so people with dwarf attention span will be able to benefit from it too.

hyena

righty, the people has spoken. one thread shall be.
i'll formulate the text, check with hedon for suggestions then do as is your will.

rahvin. (think 'm gonna like this democracy stuff)

yeah, me too. especially because democracy is here defined as "the voting process ends when hyena speaks her mind" :lol:

hyena

Remove the newbies thread, its inevitable this forum will be overrun by them anyway, we might as well get used to browse page 2 and page 3 for threads.

Leave the bands thread or alternatively, make a new bands thread that points out to http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=28
Or for those unaware, the new bands showcase. Its a nice idea no one on UM uses we should lead everyone by example.

Originally posted by Misanthrope
Leave the bands thread or alternatively, make a new bands thread that points out to http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=28
Or for those unaware, the new bands showcase. Its a nice idea no one on UM uses we should lead everyone by example.

at the very least i will surely point out that option and incite ppl to use it. thanks! :)

rahvin.