i see the ghosts of moderators

I think it will all drop down a level now if this does change. Instead of mods talking to mark about wanting to ban people normal poster people like Me will end up asking mods, seen as though Mods such as the mighty Rahv seem accessible to us, where as Mark is just not likely to listen to a peon like myself.

What Im baisically trying to say is dont you think the issue will turn to public members trying to get their enemies banned all the time?
Like if some cunt comes on here and starts winding me up all the time in an intentionally insulting manner, i guess I'd feel inclined to moan to Rahv about him. So wot's da deal???

Miolo said:
i didn't pay much attention to the thread, as i giggled for about ten minutes after reading its title.
i have another line ready, the one that now goes: "as their skeletons accusing merge threads on a whim".

@king chaos: it's certainly true that your average mod is more accessible than the owner of the site. yet this is part of the problem. i feel like i do need to listen to people's complain and wishes, and somehow come to a decent, balanced conclusion. for starters, i know that i will take into consideration reported posts from regulars concerning someone's behaviour, even if in my opinion said behaviour is ok. i don't want to delude anyone and call it democracy: obviously i have the last word and no amount of whining and stomping feet is going to make me change my mind if i have decided something, but the users' input is necessary in order not to make me follow my whims, as per the above twisted quote.
sure, there are risks, and i'm uncertain about asking myself (otherwise i wouldn't have started this thread asking for opinions). but the point still stands that, in the past, when i asked mark to ban two users he didn't question my decision in any way. so, all you fear could even be possible already, with things as they are.

i think that your proposal is alright. mods should have the right to get rid of users that spam their forums, be it with obnoxious racism/homophobia (especially here) or pointless advertising.

@Rahv, never realized we were all on such thin Ice :loco: jk

Yeah, I think it would be good if mods had more control, But I havn't been here long enough to really get into nitty, gritty debates that could get rawcus enough to get someone kicked off (If that's possible). I only really post here, and sometimes at skyfire. I guess the only fear is for people who post on boards which have Jack-ass Moderators.

Ban for a living - banning the world!
Ban for a living - banning the world!

ok, i got a bit carried away by manowar now :p (yes i know the main soundtrack for this thread was iron maiden :lol: @ those lines )

anyway i agree with the moderators being able to ban people from their forum

You're English Jack, therefore you suck. I am a racist, with my bigotry. You will shave your head, wear curry-stained England tshirts and chant. Because your women are alientated and unfulfilled. Because you are English.

Dark_Jester said:
You're English Jack, therefore you suck. I am a racist, with my bigotry. You will shave your head, wear curry-stained England tshirts and chant. Because your women are alientated and unfulfilled. Because you are English.

I suck!! You're clearly dreadful!! and ALL our girlfriends are unfulfilled and alienated. Now fuck off my prawn sandwich and get your own elevensies you facking kant!!! come on yoooooooou reeeeeeeedddsss...

Ahem.

Bring it on! (Insert racial jibe here) and then you (derogatory comment on the inferior anatomy of respective poster) can go (dubious relationship with animal of exotic species) and like it, you (expletive)!

rahvin said:
[it's been months since i wanted to rewrite the lyrics to that iron maiden song. but this is not the topic of this thread. move along. nothing to see here]

ultimatemetal has changed owner, and i feel that there is a request moderators from some board might want to make to the new boss.

up until this very day, forum mods cannot ban users from the board they're administering. this has/had to pass through the rather tedious process of "writing a pm to mark and hope he would get online soon". this situation has made more than a moderator uncomfortable, because what do you do exactly when trolls from the nether world are spamming left and right all nite, you have three exams to take, or fifty pages of paperwork to write (or a date. but let's keep this in the realm of reality for a while), and mark is sunbathing half a world away?

as some of you might remember, yours truly only asked for the banning of two users (at the same time). mark replied and acted according to my request in a matter of hours, so i never got to feel the unnerving sensation of not being the master at my own place.
still, i know of others who have been left waiting, who are still waiting in some cases. so what i mean to do is ask the new owner of the site and the forums to grant single-board moderators the powers to ban users from the forum they administrate.

it seems to me to be a rather fair request: in the case of band boards, for instance, the mods are obviously trusted by the band, and if they're half insane and go on a banning-spree because it's their bad day, well, it's the band's problem. not to mention that you all know what i do on my bad days: i run crying to busy friends.

it seems extremely unlikely as of now to ever find myself in a situation where i have to ban someone. this community is so protective of its own members and integrity, that it's far more likely i'd have to save the occasional troll from public lynching, should any come here. plus i'm online quite often, and deleting posts is usually a sufficient deterrent for anybody with a life. yet this issue seems - if not important - at least appropriate to take into consideration at this very moment of transition between the old and the new.

i'd like to hear the opinion of other mods (lina and magsec mainly, and also xenophobe if he ever happens to drop by) and that of the users as well: do you trust this forum's administrators and those of other bands you visit often not to ban you for stupid shit? please bear in mind that the asking/receiving process so far has been more or less automatic unless the moderator asking was clearly on a crusade or had suddenly become a basketcase, so it's highly likely that nothing much will change even if such "powers" are finally bestowed upon the likes of me and the rest.
Not being an Iron Maiden fan, I thought you were referring to the rather fabulous film "Bringing Out the Dead."

I wub that film. <3