US touring halted?

I agree to some degree, but I owe all of my favorite bands and to the internet. For example, if it weren't for someone posting about Powerwolf the other day, I never would have discovered that I have a hole in my heart and it needed cheesy werewolf metal to be filled.

Speaking of Word of Mouth and The Internet....

Zod said:
People aren't going to buy music they haven't heard. And some bands and genres will always garner more listeners. But ultimately it comes down to exposing people to it.

I agree. That's why I'm happy CM put their shit back on Spotify, like a god damned smart company.

Stingray said:
BTW, do I need to mention that the heavy majority of those on my job are Black and Latino?

I hope not. I'd hate to think we're stereotyping people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what would happen if someone marketed a power metal band the way they throw money at bands like this... This band has almost pulled over 200 at the Social today in Orlando

I've got bad news for you dude, but the labels "throwing money" at bands, especially at the indie label level, is a thing of the past. Eyes Set to Kill in particular, got to where they are on their own. The story of Ghost getting almost a million bucks for signing to Universal (they were signed by the same dude who signed Mastodon to Warner) basically happens once per decade. Bands like Suicide Silence and Periphery had huge followings that they established on their own terms and had done extensive tours along the USA on their own dimes. They didn't complain about the scene, they just got up and made their own scenes.

It's a tough pill to swallow for elitist metal nerds (not at all saying you are one, but in general - it's the elitist armchair QBs that shit on "not metal" bands for being popular), but the fact of the matter is that kids like these bands because these bands worked their fucking asses off and didn't act like rockstars doing so. Alot of metal bands, however, do not work their asses off and don rockstar attitudes. Sabaton is a rare exception, which is why they are doing so well right now.

Yes, someone actually told me once that all metal sounds the same and that SOAD was the only band able to push the boundary of what metal sounds like because everything else has already been done.

Did he look like this?

aaaa.jpg

I'm sorry man, but anecdotal evidence is about as useless as a space heater in the tundra without a powersource. Yes, exposure would be beneficial, but I've tried to introduce these bands to people, and it's either "LOL WHAT IS THIS THIS IS SO STUPID IS THIS ELF METAL WOW DUDE GO LISTEN TO SOME SYSEM OF A DOWN, THEY'RE THE ONES PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES OF METAL" or it's "Wow, this is cool" and instantly forgotten about.

It's not my fault your friends are assholes... :lol:

I'm sorry man, but anecdotal evidence is about as useless as a space heater in the tundra without a powersource. Yes, exposure would be beneficial, but I've tried to introduce these bands to people, and it's either "LOL WHAT IS THIS THIS IS SO STUPID IS THIS ELF METAL WOW DUDE GO LISTEN TO SOME SYSEM OF A DOWN, THEY'RE THE ONES PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES OF METAL" or it's "Wow, this is cool" and instantly forgotten about.

Yes, someone actually told me once that all metal sounds the same and that SOAD was the only band able to push the boundary of what metal sounds like because everything else has already been done.

With all due respect, your friend kind of has a point. Alot of metal bands these days basically DO sound the same and very few are actually doing anything new. System of a Down was and still is one of the most unique bands of the last 10 years, but I wouldn't call them a metal band either.

I just saw SOAD live this past weekend with Deftones. Both bands showed what it means to be a "professional musician."

Exposure was definitely how I got into power and progressive metal. I had no idea it existed until about 2002 or so. My friend put on Rhapsody's Dawn of Victory. At first I had no idea what I was hearing. My second thought was I had no idea that humans could drum that fast. Then he showed me Gamma Ray's Powerplant and that sealed the deal. Then I figured out that Kai Hansen was in a band called Helloween which started a whole other dive into 80's speed and power metal then to thrash and prog metal. I don't really know how I could have been exposed to this genre besides a friend because I didn't and don't listen to the radio.

They would sell a ton of tickets.

I recall when MTV brought the Headbangers Ball back in 2003. Sprinkled among the endless parade of shit Metalcore bands was Amon Amarth, Mastodon and Behemoth. None of these bands were big enough at the time that they warranted that kind of attention from MTV. However, someone at their label got the right person laid, and they got put into regular rotation. It was this constant exposure on MTV that made them three of the most viable Metal touring acts in the U.S.

In a similar vein, one of my friends listens almost exclusively to FM Rock. One day, while we were hanging out, I played for him the Iced Earth "Gettysburg Trilogy" DVD. He went wild for it. Bought a copy for himself and started turning all his stock broker buddies on to it.

It's all about exposing people to it.

I kind of agree. While it's true that metal (especially power metal) is a niche market, I think it's a very under-realized niche market. Yes, it's metal for nerds, but there are a LOT OF NERDS out there that have no idea who Hammerfall and Blind Guardian. You don't hear about it here unless you go looking for it or have it played for you by a friend. I preach the gospel of power metal to almost everybody I meet at some time or another. At the very least, I get a big kick out of every "hit" I get when somebody likes what I'm playing.

Exposure was definitely how I got into power and progressive metal. I had no idea it existed until about 2002 or so. My friend put on Rhapsody's Dawn of Victory. At first I had no idea what I was hearing. My second thought was I had no idea that humans could drum that fast. Then he showed me Gamma Ray's Powerplant and that sealed the deal. Then I figured out that Kai Hansen was in a band called Helloween which started a whole other dive into 80's speed and power metal then to thrash and prog metal. I don't really know how I could have been exposed to this genre besides a friend because I didn't and don't listen to the radio.

What the hell is all this exposure crap?! I had to stumble onto metal all by my god damned self! Back in my day.....

If it wasn't for that cassette copy of Piece of Mind that I found in a parking lot in the 7th grade, I'd still be stuck listening to Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer.

Oh, the internet is almost a lost cause. There's WAY too many bands vying for exposure to have that be the only means of finding out about new music you may like.

Word of mouth, person to person, trumps anything else in this day and age.

The people who are satisfied w/ whatever is on the radio won't go looking. And those who go looking get overwhelmed.

If I'm going to hear about a new band through word of mouth, it's going to be talking to my fellow metalheads at ProgPower who are as crazy as I am about digging beneath the surface. Anywhere else, I'm the guy doing the "Hey, have you ever heard of Sabaton?" routine. It's all about the internet. Used to do it through message boards, but that was too slow when I was in the mood for something new RIGHT NOW. Sure, I filter through a bunch of average bands for every good one I come across, but they're still out there, and in numbers that swell my already alarming wish list. Youtube has been my best source for a while. Get subscribed to the right channels and you'll come across some pretty sweet stuff. Compilation videos with 2-3 minute clips of songs from 5 bands is a really good way to burn through new artists without much effort, I just replay the songs that catch my attention while I do something else in another tab.

If I'm going to hear about a new band through word of mouth, it's going to be talking to my fellow metalheads at ProgPower who are as crazy as I am about digging beneath the surface. Anywhere else, I'm the guy doing the "Hey, have you ever heard of Sabaton?" routine. It's all about the internet. Used to do it through message boards, but that was too slow when I was in the mood for something new RIGHT NOW. Sure, I filter through a bunch of average bands for every good one I come across, but they're still out there, and in numbers that swell my already alarming wish list. Youtube has been my best source for a while. Get subscribed to the right channels and you'll come across some pretty sweet stuff. Compilation videos with 2-3 minute clips of songs from 5 bands is a really good way to burn through new artists without much effort, I just replay the songs that catch my attention while I do something else in another tab.

We were speaking of spreading Power Metal outside of the existing audience...in that sense, the internet is not all that valuable because people who don't know about Power Metal also don't know about ProgPower, Blind Guardian or any other Power Metal related entity and have no desire to seek it out. In those terms, word of mouth is how they find out because they won't go looking for it.

What the hell is all this exposure crap?! I had to stumble onto metal all by my god damned self! Back in my day.....

If it wasn't for that cassette copy of Piece of Mind that I found in a parking lot in the 7th grade, I'd still be stuck listening to Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer.

I don't see how you finding a cassette in a parking lot is any different then a friend happening to play a power metal album for me.

I'm sorry man, but anecdotal evidence is about as useless as a space heater in the tundra without a powersource.
Well, in fairness, people will dismiss any evidence that doesn't suit their argument. They'll argue it's anecdotal, or the study was biased, etc. That said, while my specific examples may be anecdotal, the experience is not. Be it music, food, wine or cigars, people don't know what they like until they're exposed to it. At its core, that's a profoundly simple concept.

It's worth noting, I'm not trying to argue that if they got the appropriate exposure, Brainstorm would fill Yankee Stadium. I'm simply saying, that a very small percentage of people have ever heard the music discussed here. And it's merely logical, that the more people who are exposed to this type of music, the more fans it would gain. If twice as many people heard it, than it's statistically probable that it would have twice as many fans. As I said, that's true of anything.

That's not merely anecdotal, it's absurd. Someone who thinks all Metal sounds the same, doesn't understand anything about Metal, and likely understands little about music. To suggest Nightwish sounds the same as Blood Red Throne, that Circus Maximus sounds like Megadeth, or that Dimmu Borgir sounds like Iron Maiden, is patently absurd.

I agree. That's why I'm happy CM put their shit back on Spotify, like a god damned smart company.
Couldn't agree more.

One of the biggest issues is the fact there are really only 2 booking agents that will even represent these types of bands in the US. And being the US is so large its extremely expensive to tour the entire country so it makes sense to only tour every so often to maximize the anticipation for the bands....

re: Hammerfall tours every other release so far.. and I am one of the oddballs that discovered them because of the Death tour

We can only hope that American audiences get better taste :p

Sorry - I still truly feel that if EVERGREY or KAMELOT (Just two examples of bands who are extremely liked in this circle) acheieved mainstream success a large majority would find a reason to no longer like these bands............

How many people no longer follow DragonForce, Opeth, etc, once they achieved greater success?
Its not like their music has gotten any worse or anything.

I think people forget that a large part of what has ALWAYS made heavy metal so great is the feeling that you are part of a smaller sub culture of music fans who are in the know of something amazing. Once a band breaks out big, something is lost.
Sure, sometimes the loss of appeal has to do in the decline of the quality of the music (IE - In Flames, etc), but heck, GHOST is already no longer discussed in most underground circuits anymore, and that took less than 12 months!

I have never been to concerned as to "why" the bands I love aren't tearing up the charts, when what is tearing up the charts or the $$$$ earned on tours is 99% crapola (To me anyways).

I also think this is what is hurting many start up festivals as well.
There is nothing wrong with being a band or festival that draws no more than 200 or 300.
As long as you are smart with your promotions and expenses, you can make it happen.
If extreme profit and prosperous living is what you are after, then playing metal is not the smart way to go.

This is the reason why MANY metal musicians do non-metal or tribute bands on the side.