Using Reference Mixes. (Protools + 003)

Trep

Mar 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
So i wanted to begin using some reference Mixes to see how the results turn out.

Ive been using the Aux In on my Digi 003 hooked up to a CD Line out. Works fine,

Except the Aux input on the 003 is soooooooo increibly low i have to make dramatic volume changes for monitoring.

I dont wanna import the track into PT because any Master bus compression will affect the Refeence Track

Anytips on setup or general Reference Mixing?

ive done this so many different ways, but i usually just bypass the processing on the master in the end, cos i can't be arsed messing around.

the other way i have done it, and the way i do it the most is to just bounce my mix down, and import it into a session alongside the reference material. this way there's nothing on the master track to affect the sound of the reference... listen a lot... take notes... go back and change anything :)

I monitor through a big knob and flick between sources, but.... Here's what you can do.

Instead of a master fader , asign all your tracks which would be going to out 1+2 to a bus, let's call it mix bus. Now you can add master processing to the aux instead of the master fader, so you can import reference material into the session without it fucking things up. Or you can just preview the file from the workspace window.

I monitor through a big knob and flick between sources, but.... Here's what you can do.

Instead of a master fader , asign all your tracks which would be going to out 1+2 to a bus, let's call it mix bus. Now you can add master processing to the aux instead of the master fader, so you can import reference material into the session without it fucking things up. Or you can just preview the file from the workspace window.

I get it, Thanks. i will give it a try

Dude you are always the one to fix my protools Problems haha

... wat are you like the only other guy using it around here haha

Um, no. It's a fader, used to control level. Not a compressor. It will just turn it down.

I think the master fader on PT is routed before your inserts, so if you're using any plugs on the master bus you'd be best to turn down the output on the last plugin instead of using the fader.

ok, i'm assuming you have a compressor on the master fader, so turning the master fader down will affect your input to the compressor.

what you can do is turn down the makeup gain of the compressor to match the level of music on your pc, and switch between inputs on your 003.

in fact to make it even more accurate, import a song you use to reference into protools, and play it back in protools along with whatever music player you also use. switch between inputs and adjust the output accordingly so there is very little volume difference. then make a preset for the compressor that always brings your mix down however much is needed.

nice

Here's what you can do.

Instead of a master fader , asign all your tracks which would be going to out 1+2 to a bus, let's call it mix bus. Now you can add master processing to the aux instead of the master fader, so you can import reference material into the session without it fucking things up.

that's exactly what i do in pt. you can even flip through different ref mixes by putting them into alt playlists.

I don't use Pro Tools, but the easiest for me is to just import the reference track into the session on a new stereo track. Create a new output buss to route the reference track to so no plugins are effecting the reference track, and referencing is as easy as hitting the solo and/or mute button on the reference track.

I actually think what I wrote is similar to what Greyskull is referencing, only instead of having to route all your session tracks to an aux, you just route the reference track to an additional "master" output. This way, the only thing I have to do is create 2 things, the stereo reference track and the reference track's output channel.

Why not just open a seperate media player (like VLC, which is what I use) and have the level set at 100%? Seems like importing into PT is a big PITA. As long as your mains are on 'out 1/2' it'll work.

Because digi hardware isn't multi client, so when protools is open you can only listen to audio in that.

Because digi hardware isn't multi client, so when protools is open you can only listen to audio in that.
[QUOTE}I have my mix ready in PT8 (on mac) and my reference songs playing in iTUNES. I just click between them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I use VLC player because it's really simple and low-overhead. Pro Tools will screw up when loading if I have VLC open while opening PT. But once I have PT up and running, I've never had a problem using VLC player, the only consideration is that it only comes out 'out 1/2', but most people have their main out on that anyway, myself included.