Usipian Twenty Questions

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Who are you and what do you do (in the band)?
-My name is Toke Eld and I’m the vocalist.

Where's the band from?
-Denmark.

Who're your major influences?
-Pretty hard to say as I’m influenced through my surroundings. With that I mean persons, music, books and especially movies. Well. And I don't just listen to one kind of music or watch one kind of movie or read one kind of book. So.

What's your local scene like?
-Hmm. I think we have a pretty strong scene. But no one has really got out international. Maybe Exmortem can do the trick with a really cool new album behind them. Plus they are now currently signed to OSMOSE REC. Furthermore I can mention Corpus, Mortale, Saturnus, Ad Noctum, Koldborn, Azalon, Strychnos, Nortt, Human Erupt, Blazing Eternity, Iniquity, Furious Trauma as bands worth checking out. There are of course more but my little brain can’t think of any at the moment.

How can people hear your music?
-Well, I would suggest them to send 10 ? or 8 $ to the following address:

Toke Eld
Ndr. Røse Vej 5, 2. tv.
2300 Cph S
Denmark.
Or write to: Cenobites@ofir.dk
If one plays in a band he or she could also just send a demo for trading.

If you could play a gig with 3 other bands, who would it be?
-Damn. actually we have already played with Vader, Aura Noir and Limbonic Art, which were pretty cool. But if I were to pick 3 up. Annihilator, Macabre and Meshuggah would be on the top list I think. Morbid Angel, Deicide, Malevolent Creation and Gehenna (N) would be close as well.

What's your best gig memory?
- Last time we played which was with Vader. It was a really cool experience.

What's your worst?
- Hahahahah. One time our lead guitarist was so damn drunk that he played riffs which didn't even belong in those songs we played. That was so horrible that the other guitarist left the stage in anger. But it is a fun memory!

Would you describe your sound as Hot or Cold?
- I would probably describe it as..ehhh.. a mixture. Wait a minute. Is this a joke? [Russell:No joke, just a bit of a silly question ;o)]

What are you plans for the future?
- To quit the metal scene and start making movies. I don't know really. I just try to have fun with what I do.

What song of yours should people listen to before any other?
- Hmmm. tricky. At the moment maybe "Brought Within Chains". But of course our new tunes are a lot better in my opinion. So watch out for "Fading away in deaths dimension". (Which is our newest song and will appear in a future release)

If a label said they'd sign you for a 10 album, multi-million £ deal,
providing you got rid of one of your members (you can choose!), would you do it?

- Hehehehe.. I would replace all members!!! Jeff Waters and Chuck Schuldiner (If resurrected) on guitars. Alex Webster on bass. Sean Reinert or Dennis The Menace on drums. Hmm. Perhaps with that line-up I would have to replace myself with someone talented. What about Mikael Åkerfeldt (He can do everything!)
???

What's your favourite album of all time, and why?
- Its hard. There are so many. But if I really were to pick one I think I would have to choose Dissection: Storm Of The Lights bane. Why? Because it is so fucking excellent to the tiniest detail!! Everything is perfect on that album. And I will never grow tired of it! Dissection also has the perfect mixture between Death, Black and Heavy metal. And it contains so great melodies without ever sounding gay. Annihilator: Alice In Hell would be the little brother and next to enter. Iron Maiden: Somewhere in Time is also a very important album to me.

What was the main reason you became a musician?
- I just liked to be part of something. To create music and lyrics. My main reason was that I was a big fan!!!

How would you like to be remembered?
- Ohhh. I don't know really. As someone who had something to contribute. Let that be within the music scene or whatever. It doesn't really matter. Its important for me to stand out. Don't fall into the grey masses. I think its true that if you just reach a single soul with your presence your not a complete waste of human life.

What's the first word that comes to mind when you see the word MANOWAR!
- One hundred percent gayness. The people who may think that Manowar is the essence of metal is the people I hate.

What one location in the world would you love to play a gig at?
- Roskilde Festival.

What do you think of the current metal magazines? Which rock, and which are
shit?

- Grimoire Of Exalted Deeds is quite the funniest. Slayer is probably the best. I don't read much metal mags anymore though. Most of them are really empty and without any serious or useful information. But I used to read everything I could get hold of !

Tell us 3 good reasons why people should listen to you?
- I cant answer that one. Id like to think that we make the music we would listen to ourselves. But then again. Its up to you. You answer that one.

Any message for your fans and the UM masses?
- Check out our forthcoming homepage at www.usipian.dk
To the interested masses of UM: Watch out for an Usipian album release sometime next year.

Otherwise write me an email or two if you happen to be in possession of Sepultura: Arise (Digipack), Macabre: Gloom (Original print), Katatonia: Saw you drown (Ep) or any other goods you might be willing to get rid of. All soundtrack freaks out there are more than welcome to write as well!!!
Hey. and thanx for the support!!!

Toke Eld-USIPIAN.