Usurper - Cryptobeast

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Usurper - Cryptobeast
Earache Records - mosh289CD - 2004
By Philip Whitehouse

usurper.jpg

My first experience of Usurper was when they supported Cradle Of Filth on the Midian tour four years ago, and I remember coming away from their set quite disappointed. Despite their obvious proficiency as musicians, their blend of Bolt Thrower double-kick velocity and Celtic Frost's grim thrash brutality came across as rather lacklustre and uninspiring. So, you can imagine what a pleasant surprise it was, when I wearily slapped Cryptobeast into the player and immediately had the quasi-smug 'I already know this is going to be shite' smirk slapped off my face.

Within this latest platter, there is hyperspeed thrash rubbing shoulders with heavy-as-lead down-tempo doom passages (on the same song, 'Return Of The Werewolf', no less). There is a hymn to our favourite form of music, 'Kill For Metal', whose refrain practically rewires your central nervous system in order to make your head bang. Seriously, listen to this a couple of times and just try to stop yourself growling along with the 'Kill, kill, kill FOR METAL!' parts... There are guitar leads that manage to sound utterly old-school and yet fit perfectly into the sound created by Neil Kernon's thoroughly solid production job. There is even a mid-album instrumental track, 'Ectoplasm', that recalls King Diamond in it's mix of sinister serenity.

New vocalist Tyrantor makes his presence felt with a mix of roaring death vox, higher pitched screams, and a possibly record-breaking number of true metal 'Urrrghs' per verse, whilst returning original drummer Apocalyptic creates a whirlwind of double-kick beats and tom rolls. Okay, so the Celtic Frost influence is a tad pronounced, and the lyrical subject matter just on the whiffy side of cheesy, but when the songs are delivered with such an un-selfconscious, couldn't-give-a-fuck attitude, it's hard to hold things like that against Usurper.

7.5/10

Usurper Official Website
Earache Website

I love these guys. They don't miss Diabolical Slaughter at all...Tyrantor exceeds all my expectations as new vocalist. The production is also astounding on this one, they have never sounded better!

The Celtic Frost comparisons were much more warranted on their earlier albums. They have definitely established a core sound.

I give it horns WAY up! :headbang:

Thanks, all.
We're very proud of the album, and are all very excited about the release next week in Europe and Feb. 9th in the US.
Look for reviews and feature articles within the next 2 months in noted 'zines Terrorizer, Metal Maniacs, Rock Sound, Kerrang, Pit, Unrestrained... and a million that I cant remember right this second, the press has been ridiculous! haha.
KILL FOR METAL!!!!!

Thanks again,
Dan 'Tyrantor' Lawson