V-amp2, is it any good?

Fabbio

Yoda
Mar 6, 2005
Milano, Italy
Hi guys!!!
I'm new to this forum but it's a couple of moths that i enjoy the discussions on it, so I decided to sign in myself!!!

I would like to know if any of you have or use a Behringer v-amp2 and if you think it's good, especially confronted with the mighty PodXT.

As you may know this is the unofficial Line 6 forum so you are not going to find anyone to defend Behringer. To be honest I never tried it, but having PODxt I never felt the need to try it out. I think units like Vox Tonelab, Boss GT-8, Digitech GNX4 are more comparable to the POD. I rarely read good reviews about V-Amp.

Fabbio said:
Hi guys!!!
I'm new to this forum but it's a couple of moths that i enjoy the discussions on it, so I decided to sign in myself!!!

I would like to know if any of you have or use a Behringer v-amp2 and if you think it's good, especially confronted with the mighty PodXT.

I use both. Pod xt is better. It´s more expensive but better in every way

The only thing that leave me a little uncertain in the choice of which to buy it's that in these units you can not place two similar effects in chain.

For instance i would really like to use a flanger with a tremolo after it.

Is it any way to do it on one of these Podxt or V-amp without using an extra stompbox (doing this would make the 'all in one' purpose of the pods not anymore an 'all in one')?

I own the V-amp Pro, don't know the different between Pro and V-amp 2. I think it is ok for some small guitarparts but it can never replace a real miced amp. I use it on some melodies and harmonies. Its tone is quite dark but after some tweaking the sound comes out alright. If you use many different guitarsounds this gear will absolutely help you on your way but you will loose some quality.

Many people are supporting the Podxt and I think that if you compare the both in sound and quality, Podxt will appeal to most people. But if you consider the price...the vamp will be interesting to.

The only tip I can give you is, try them both out at your local store and see which one YOU like best.

The V Amp pro sounds ok plugged into my amp rig. The POD sounds like crap into my amp. POD XT sounds better for recording. I actually think the V Amp is warmer sounding and the POD is a cheese grater. I own and love both units equally. The V Amp Pro is a better bang for the buck.

I don't really like the rack mounted versions of these.
Usually I tend to freak out seeing many many holes for cables I will never use.

I like the idea of having all in one, and clearli my old Korg Pandora PX2 isn't good anymore since I placed EMGs in my main guitars (Squier with SA set and Epiphone Les Paul with 81 85 ZW).

For the money I wouldn't say you have anything to lose by buying the Vamp 2.

If you can afford a POD XT I'd say get that, but for the money the Vamp 2 creates some ok sounds.

Edited to add: I'll check what my Vamp 2 sounds like with my EMG's and let you know.

You just have to rebuild the sound from the ground up, or download a patch that sounds close to what you want and then rebuild it. I didn't like any of the factory presets, so I downloaded some from their users, tweaked them relentlessly, and get some pretty good sounds from it...heavy as hell.

It's all in how you set it up...the POD's can sound crappy if you dial in the wrong sound, just like the V-amp can sound crappy if you dial it up wrong.

Download the V-AMP software to control the V-AMP through the computer, and you can really get things to what you'd like them to sound like...then save all your settings...if you lose your presets, you can reload them easily with the editor.

This is true enough, but the potential is just greater in the pod. Still- I've been getting quite good sounds with some layering lately- just my lead tone still sounds whiny.

I don't know. It seems like the only thing this unit has going for it, as seems the case with all Behringer gear, is the low price.

Let me put it this way...

The Behringer Truths are piles of steaming shit, right? Yet they're some of the cheapest monitors on the market. Are you willing to sacrifice more or less everything to have it fit within a budget price range?

That's the case with the Vamp 2. It's extraordinarily cheap but also extraordinarily useless. I've gotten better recorded tones using VST amp-processing plugins.

EDIT: This is without using a preamp, mind you.

Oh come on- you're being too harsh now! Heres a short clip of something I've been messing around with- it's a bit better than the sounds I usually get out of it. Haven't had time to notch out the fizzies yet- but I've redone the slightly sloppy layers and will probably be done with this clip next weekend- in any case, it's enough show it's not TOTALLY useless :p

http://elboardo.com/amir/brutal_death_sample.mp3

As you can hear, not nearly as good as the podxt, but not as terrible as moonlapse makes it out to be :dopey:

I know that the price is the main reason to choose a V-amp2, but it's also true that if you have a good ear you can obtain something good.

I just tried a V-amp2 today and I can say that if you want something not very 'direct recording' it's hard for it has not the microphone simulator and the reverb types are too little or too much.

But I discover a very good thing, folks!!! If I plug a V-amp in a little amp with the clean channel with the volume pot all the way up and I set the V-amp2 for the live use it RULES!!! I may consider still buying the PodXT for the use in direct recording but for practice with the band or even a little gig in a small place I can use a little (say, 50 watts and a 2X12 speakers) amp and pushing the Mesa Boogie simulation in the clean channel.

What do you think?

Ah, by the way, Deaths Acre!

Good sounds in your clip! Only the cymbals are too high in the mix.

It's a electronic drum machine? I'm having problems too with the Zoom Rhythm track and its louder than hell cymbals and hihat. :ill:

Get the pedalboard version they have if you're gonna use it live. Wasn't it dark tranquility that use one for something or another? I don't remember where I heard that or if it's true but I do remember hearing it. Personally I don't like the way it sounds through an amp. I use it through headphones, and to record direct. I'm actually gonna upgrade to the pod soonish, but I have been satisfied with it for the cash, and it's a great tool for someone who's just starting out with recording or needs a cheap amp sim.

Yes, the drums are a drum machine, and I haven't mixed it well yet. I'll remember about the cymbals though when I do cuz the rest of the drums are gonna be more- "in your face." Keep in mind, that guitar sound is the result of a quad layer. The vamp can sound pretty thin and digital for metal if you don't layer it. I believe that was the recto sim with a couple different cabs. Single or double layers work fine for rock though, and this clip is the first time I had bothered trying Andy's method.