Quick hello // introduction // V-AMP2 sounds

Hey all! This forum seems really interesting if you're into metal sound engineering; which I am.

Introducing myself: my name is Fredrik Groth and I'm from Sweden. I'm the guitarist of the melodic metal band THE STORYTELLER (and we have just finished recording our 4th album, which will be released in october or november). My one and only huge interest is sound engineering, but since I'm on a low budget I mostly work at home with my Behringer equipment, hehehe! Not having money or expensive equipment means you have to be innovative and creative when recording, and that's where most of the fun is, according to me.

Basically; this is my stuff:

Behringer UB 802 mixer
Behringer MX 602A mixer
Behringer Tube Ultragain T1953 preamp
Behringer Autocom Pro MDX1400 compressor
Behringer Ultra-Graph Pro equalizer
Behringer Ultrapatch patchbay
Behringer V-AMP2
Behringer Ultra-DI DI20 (worst investment EVER!)
Tannoy Reveal passive monitors
Celeron 3417MHz computer /w 1GB RAM
Audiophile 2496 soundcard
ADK A51ST
2 x SM57
some more microphones, mostly cheap ones
a $5 bass guitar (yes, I bought it for $5)
a bunch of guitars
and of course some heaphones, a midi keyboard and stuff like that

I'm not doing commercial recordings at home, obviously. Storyteller demos and pre-productions, and some demo recording for other bands... but most of the times I just play around because it's fun!!!

For a looong time I've tried to get decent guitar sounds from my V-AMP, but the speaker emulation leaves a lot to wish for. Yesterday I got the idea to simply turn the speaker emulation OFF, and use some miked cabinet impulse responses to do the emulation by software. I've tried a bunch of impulses, and today I found a few that really reminded me of the Metallica sound, and whooops, there I was, recording a few bars from Enter Sandman. Totally useless, but a) I had lots of fun, and b) I learned that the V-AMP is more flexible than you could imagine. There's a world of impulses out there, waiting to be discovered!

You can listen to the clip here.

Well, fellow forumists... keep up the good work!

best regards,
Fredrik Groth
http://www.storyteller.nu

TheStoryteller said:
For a looong time I've tried to get decent guitar sounds from my V-AMP, but the speaker emulation leaves a lot to wish for. Yesterday I got the idea to simply turn the speaker emulation OFF, and use some miked cabinet impulse responses to do the emulation by software. I've tried a bunch of impulses, and today I found a few that really reminded me of the Metallica sound, and whooops, there I was, recording a few bars from Enter Sandman. Totally useless, but a) I had lots of fun, and b) I learned that the V-AMP is more flexible than you could imagine. There's a world of impulses out there, waiting to be discovered!

You can listen to the clip here.

really good to be a v-amp I had the first version, never got a decent sound!
So what software for the eumulation of the cab?

Maurizio

Welcome TheStoryTeller. Very nice stuff you got in there. I also use a v-amp 2 at home, what is that "cabined impulses" you are talking of about?

Thanks guys. :)

Impulse responses are most often used to create room acoustics (very natural reverbs), but since they describe frequency responses in a very detailed way, the are also excellent ro recreate the sound of a miked cabinet. Or the backseat of a Chevy Van. Or a Blaupunkt tube radio. Or a tin bucket. The posibilities are endless!

You have to use a special plugin to "play" impulses... SIR is free, Revolverb is free, Voxengo Pristine Space (light) is pretty cheap, and there's an - expensive - Waves plugin that I can't remember the name of right now. There's also a very simple impulse player included in Voxengo Analogflux Suite, and that's the one I use.

You can find some cabinet impulses (and LOADS of reverb impulses) at http://www.noisevault.com/ . It's impossible to say "this one's good, that one's bad", you have to try a few yourself. Worth to note is that this kind of processing is very CPU intensive.

Good luck, let me know how it works for you!

TheStoryteller said:
Thanks guys. :)

Impulse responses are most often used to create room acoustics (very natural reverbs), but since they describe frequency responses in a very detailed way, the are also excellent ro recreate the sound of a miked cabinet. Or the backseat of a Chevy Van. Or a Blaupunkt tube radio. Or a tin bucket. The posibilities are endless!

You have to use a special plugin to "play" impulses... SIR is free, Revolverb is free, Voxengo Pristine Space (light) is pretty cheap, and there's an - expensive - Waves plugin that I can't remember the name of right now. There's also a very simple impulse player included in Voxengo Analogflux Suite, and that's the one I use.

You can find some cabinet impulses (and LOADS of reverb impulses) at http://www.noisevault.com/ . It's impossible to say "this one's good, that one's bad", you have to try a few yourself. Worth to note is that this kind of processing is very CPU intensive.

Good luck, let me know how it works for you!
Which cabinet impluse in particular did you use for the Enter Sandman demo?

Hey!

See, Nitro?
We're not alone out there with a V-amp2!!! Anyway, I like the all in one approach of the PodXT and I don't use the Behringer so much.

And it's all this forum's fault!!! :D

Really good guitar tone, the Enter sandman clip. :headbang:

TheStoryteller said:
Hey all! This forum seems really interesting if you're into metal sound engineering; which I am.

Introducing myself: my name is Fredrik Groth...

Oh, by the way, welcome to the most awesome forum ever and if you feel to make sure to post your vitals in the 'who's who' thread!!!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

It's easier if you go directly into the cabinet's part of the impulses. Anyways, I tried those and some of the boogies but I couldn't get anything similar...I will try later again