V-amp2, is it any good?

I've messed around with the V-Amp 2 a bit. Its great for the price and you can get some killer tones out of it. Unfortunately, you get a very low resale value (which I believe is important when buying gear, especially considering that you will probably need to upgrade to something newer / better sounding in a couple years) and you get a device that is prone to breaking down / crapping our earlier. The bottom line is that you get what you pay for. Every unit out there can break down, but I hear about more Behringer units falling apart or screwing up more regularly than any other brand out there.

The one major thing I've heard is that there is a delay with the channel switching (has something to do with the cab sims) which results in about a 1 second delay, which (as far as I'm concerned) completely rules it out for live play, unless you plan on using the same patch for the duration of an entire song (which kind of defeats the purpose of using a unit like the V-Amp2 live).

The one major thing I've heard is that there is a delay with the channel switching (has something to do with the cab sims) which results in about a 1 second delay, which (as far as I'm concerned) completely rules it out for live play, unless you plan on using the same patch for the duration of an entire song (which kind of defeats the purpose of using a unit like the V-Amp2 live).

Ah, that sucks!!! The delay is there, by choosing different patches using a Pedalboard Midi.

Too baaaad... :err:

Moonlapse said:
Amen - this simply can't be punctuated enough.

I got the 1st version of v-amp, there was a big fight when he was out, some people said "Uh to me sounds better than Pod" some "No it really sucks, Pod rules".
Well I've bought it 4 years ago and it's still covered by dust, one of the most horrible amp sim ever made, it was the only mistake that I've made buying music stuff.
A far way better was the j-station, very good it was better than pod 1.0 and 2.0 but no good compared to the PodXT.

Maurizio

I don't think it's really fair to say "stay clear of ALL" behringer, because they're hit or miss IMO. To date I only have two of their products but both have served me well enough. The vamp2 to my ears sounds better than the pod 2.0 and was one third the price. I couldn't afford the podxt either way when I bought it and to be honest it's gotten the job done well enough- especially for a complete recording newb who was just trying to lay some demo tracks and improve at song writing.

the mic100 isn't bad at all. It's not quite as transparent as the art unit I guess, but I picked it up for 25 bucks off ebay- you can't get a mic pre that sounds decent for that price anywhere else. I fully intend to buy their 8 mic pre unit with adat next simply because I've heard it's good and it doesn't seem like you could mess it up too easy. Comparing that at 200- to units well over 800 just seems like common sense to go that route and sacrifice a smidge of quality. Heh- I'm even gonna try to get my hands on some of their knockoffs of the boss pedal line before they get taken off the shelves because I don't like boss pedals enough to pay 90 bucks for- but 14???! Yoink!

Basically what I'm saying is I know they make a lot of trash, and it's ALL knockoffs. But, if you shuffle thru the shit so to speak you can save quite a lot of money. Especially if you aren't Pro. Things I probably wouldn't buy from behringer- a real amp, a mixer(regardless of what anyone says about the eurorack or whatever its called), headphones, monitors, god... the list just goes on doesn't it? Case in point- a lot of it is true crap. But some of it aint bad.

Hmm, what do you think of the BOSS GT-6 for recordings? I think it produces some really decent tones, especially for metal guitars...

I used the COSM simulation (the same on GT systems on Boss' pedalboards) on my Boss BR-8 (digital 8 tracks recorder, with zip cartridges, veeeeery noisy and buzzy).
One day it just stopped working (funny lights out of the leds, no signals...) and since it was way out of warranty I switched to an MBox and ProTools LE 6.0.
All plugged into a Powerbook Apple G4.

If I should compare the COSM simulation with Behringer's V-amp2 I would go for the second. Far better.

By the way I'm giving Pod XT a shot.
I'll buy one at easter. :D

Good job! podxt... is like third on my G.A.S. list right now. First would be new pickups, second that mic pre system so that I can record drums. But yeah- definitely need to upgrade before I start work on the final guitar tracks of teh album.

Ive been getting some acceptably guitar tones out of Guitar Amp Pro in Logic 7. Has anyone else tried this or managed to get a 5150 patch for it??